View Poll Results: After going through this thread, can you make a commitment to study Sanskrit?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I am too old or too young and too busy and I watch cricket and zee TV for at least 3 hours a day

4 12.90%
  • Yes, I can set aside at least 30 minutes to one hour a day to study the Sanskrit Language

27 87.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Sanskrit Movies:In 1983 a film directed by G. V. Iyer named Adi Shankaracharya was premiered, the first film ever made entirely in Sanskrit language in which all of Adi Shankaracharya's works were compiled. The movie received the National Film Awards for Best Film, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography and Best Audiography and has been known as a master piece.

Sanskrit Media: Decide (like a sankalpa? intense resolution?) to watch or listen to the AIR Sanskrit news daily or for four or more times per week and register your name in the list of Sanskrit News listeners.Make efforts to promote an awareness among your friends and others to learn Sanskrit as a lifetime activity orwith our inactivity it may face considerable and unrecoverable decline.

Sanskrit in the Media:At the St James Junior School in London, the number of students wanting to learn the language has grown by leaps and bounds.

Jhiri village in the state of Madhya Pradesh, India communicates in Sanskrit. How amazing to know that the ancient language is very much alive and kicking. Kumar Shakti Shekhar from NDTV reports..

Sanskrit Comic Books:Sanskrit Learning Teaching through video:Children Stories in SanskritChitrapurmath Sanskrit Lessons:

Dear Sanskrit Student,
    Parama Pujya Sadyojat Shankarashram Swamiji's love and reverence for Sanskrit is well known. Swamiji, in His pravachana-s, has always touched upon the language's beauty and its capacity to express a thought. Following His instructions that Sanskrit learning must be made easy and freely available to everybody who desires to learn it, a group of sadhaka-s worked to formulate a Step by Step learning programme.
    The lessons that you see on our website are designed to take a student from 'I do not know a word of Sanskrit' to ' I can't believe that I can decipher this on my own!'

We help you do this through tutorials and exercises in sentence construction. Answers to the exercises are also given for you to cross-check the work that you have done.

Whenever you come across a teaching point that you do not understand, please write to us and your queries will be answered.

We hope that we have, through our lessons, been able to crack the general notion that Sanskrit is difficult; it is definitely not. Like any other topic, all it requires is a respect for the subject and a willingness to learn. And we are here to help you every step of the way.

The last few years have seen a tremendous revival in enthusiasm for learning the language. We thank all the volunteer contributors of stories, text and other content and acknowledge the inspiration and materials derived from ancient texts. We also thank every student who has written in with queries or appreciative messages. This keeps up our enthusiasm!
    Most of all, our humble and grateful pranam at the Lotus feet of Parama Pujya Swamiji for giving us this extraordinary and very fulfilling opportunity to perform Guru-seva.Arsha Vidya Gurukula Sanskrit Lectures:Shashtra Nethralaya Gurukula, Sri Ramakrishnan Swami

Known by his appellation of Dravidacharya, Sri Ramakrishnan Swamiji , took birth in Dindigul of Tamilnadu, in the year 1972. After growingup in Chennai, where he completed his education, Sri Swamiji because of the burning desire for Self-knowledge left for Himalayas in march of 1997. Upon arrival in the Himalayas stayed-put in Rishikesh and immersed himself in Scriptual study in Traditional manner under Yogiswara Sri Shanti Dharmananda Saraswati ji , more particularly acquiring a sound grasp over , Sanskrit Grammar,Sankya, Yoga, Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Purva Mimamsa, Kashmiri Saivism and the Brihat Prastana Traya (Greater Triple Canon) of Vedanta (Chitsukhi, Advaitasiddhi and KhandanaKhandaKhadya) and under swamiji's disciple ViraktaShiromani Sri Sarveshananda Saraswati ji, the Prastana Traya (Triple Canon) of Vedanta (Bhagavad Gita, Upanishad and Brahma Sutra with Shankara Bhashya). Though not intrested in Teaching, Sri Swamiji, following Gurus instructions started teaching Shastras in simple, everyday, easy to understand Tamil in Rishikesh, which is not done in order even in Tamilnadu, without compromising tradition or rigour. Not just that, Sri Swamiji has blessed the Tamil knowing people with simple but detailed translation / explanation of the main books of all the Darshanas. He has brought his discourses / speeches in Tamil in CD form also.
    Sanskrit Ebook Directories:
    Sanskrit Srimad Bhagavatam Recitation:
    An Introduction to Sanskrit MR Dwarakanath:
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 07 June 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Re: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Thanks for the links. I voted 2nd option.

The two options were kinda rigged though.

Re: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Namaste,

Thanks for all of these resources. I have been meaning to study Sanskrit for a while now but have never gotten around to it. But now that I have a few months off from college I will finally begin. I will incorporate this into my sadhana and set aside some time each day to study this divine language.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Three people who have voted fit the first option. Good luck watching Indians speak Urdu on imitation soap operas and getting caught up in the hysteria of a British sport, while five responsible and intelligent people take a sip of nectar from the ocean of the Sanskrit language.

Thanks. Just based on the helpful links on this thread, I will begin my journey into the language of sanskrit. From this friday I will begin learning it.

Oh man, she is speaking some extremely classic hindi. Thank god I understand it, not picking up every word though.

Edit : Okay I have no I idea what the male teacher is saying x_x

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    Oh man, she is speaking some extremely classic hindi. Thank god I understand it, not picking up every word though.

Edit : Okay I have no I idea what the male teacher is saying x_x
    You may have to watch the video a few times over to immerse yourself into the language. In the beginning you may not understand the longer sentences used, but don't worry. Try to understand the simple conversation first, like "my name is..." and "your name is..." Pay attention to the gender (masculine, feminine and neuter) and number (singular, dual, plural) of the words and the case endings.

I can advice you to start with the Chitrapurmath lessons, after you have gone through a few of them, the spoken Sanskrit will make a lot more sense to you.

You can also start with the 2009 classes of BR Shankara from the Arsha Vidya Gurukula, they are in English. Don't forget to download the right codec to watch the lectures: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/codec?P...otomeeting.com

If you have not learned Devanagari yet, you should do this first.

Okay, thankyou. I will check some resources when I have time and feedback.

Namaskara. Sahas, thank you for the wonderful links to learn Samskritam.

Just came to know from my friend about a newspaper in Samskrit. Sudharma is its wonderful name and here's the link http://sudharma.epapertoday.com

This paper, electronic edition also available, is based out of Mysore. The owners, as usual like those involved in Dharmic activities, face tough times and near extinction.

If anyone would like to subscribe and/or donate, please follow the link.

Thanks

PS: i haven't subscribed yet to this as i just came to know about this. I plan to do so very shortly after taking the advice of my Samskrit adhyApikA.
    Last edited by ShriBala; 06 December 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks for adding the link to a Sanskrit newspaper. There is also a Sanskrit news radio, the newspaper makes a nice compliment to the radio. Now all we need is a news station in Sanskrit.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 12 December 2012 at 01:38 AM.

Thread Information