Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sikhs protest BBC presenter's claim

Sikhs protest BBC presenter's claim

Story here.

The Sikh community in Britain has protested against an "irresponsible and misleading" claim made by a presenter on BBC's Asian Network that their faith was "made up from other religions" such as Islam and Hinduism, prompting the broadcaster to express regret over it.

The claim was made by presenter DJ Nihal Arthanayake during a phone-in broadcast in March. The programme had discussed the relationship between Sikhism and the other two major religions in India -- Hinduism and Islam.

A BBC Asian Network spokesperson told PTI on May 18: "We have reviewed the transmission from the Nihal phone-in on 13th March and agree that this short excerpt was less than satisfactory. The debate show deals with difficult subjects on a daily basis and very occasionally we don't get the tone exactly right."

The spokesperson added: "We have spoken to the team about this matter and continue to strive to be as balanced as possible and sensitive to people's religious beliefs, always wanting to avoid any offence."

Lord Indarjit Singh, director of the Network of Sikh Organisations, alleged that the programme had displayed "ignorance". He said: "We are pretty sensitive at the moment, first of all we suffered a lot from the turban being confused with the Muslim turban worn by (Osama) bin laden, we've suffered a lot from name-calling, I've suffered from that myself."

During the programme, The Daily Telegraph reported that a text message from a listener was read out complaining about the "incredibly offensive" way the presenters had suggested that Sikhism was "made up from other religions, i.e., Islam and Hinduism."

Arthanayake reportedly replied on air: "I'm sorry with all due respect, it is, absolutely it is." He added: "It came around in the 15th and 16th centuries in India, how could it not be influenced?" "A Muslim laid the stone to the holiest places, with all due respect I know more about your religion than you do," he went on. The Network of Sikh Organisations asked: "Is the BBC similarly willing to take the view that Islam is a religion made up of Christianity and Judaism?"

Lord Singh said: "They (BBC) initially handled it very arrogantly, they didn't accept anything. Then they thought about it and said that they should have been more sensitive – but then it goes on to say we do so much with all communities and we have great balance. It's not a very good 'sorry'."

Re: Sikhs protest BBC presenter's claim

Mr. Singh seems like a very ignorant man. Alot of these sikhs are starting to infuriate me now, in my area there are loads of Sikhs, there are flags outside most houses, and every lamp post on a certain street has orange flags on them (to protest : Rajoana) keeping in mind I live in ENGLAND, not INDIA.

To say that Sikhism wasn't influenced by Hinduism at all is REALLY funny, and alot of sikhs here say that proudly and with lots of arrogance, all the learned sikhs know that most sikhs these days do not conduct themselves in the proper manner. There is too much ego, false pride, and arrogance that they are above others.

I agree with you Icy. Your description of their character these days is spot on. In Malaysia, where I live, there's a huge Sikh population and they behave exactly the way you described. They love flaunting their religion(especially that sign of theirs).

Anyway, I don't give a damn, who cares what they do, but to claim that Hinduism didn't influence Sikhism is a little too much. They've crossed the line here.

Sikhism is a very new religion and didn't just arrive from the heavens. It's an assimilation of religions that were active in India around 500 years ago, mainly Hinduism and Islam (due to the Mughal influence).

I've many Sikh friends but we've never discussed about religion. And some of them pray to Hindu Gods too.

Sikhism orignally was a part of Hinduism, until it got corrupted by Islamic politics, so the statement is not that far of that modern Sikkim is made out of Hinduism and Islam.

Namaste,

The original sikhs were sanatani sikhs, read the following:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6283

Many of them are hell bent on establishing a separate identity and don't want to be identified with Hinduism. They know it and we know it where it all came from. So, I would let them live the illusion, so long as they don't change the Hindu names of their Gurus, like Arjun (Singh), Gobind (Singh), Ram Das, Har Krishan.... Every other verse of their guru granth sahib is to sing the praises of Hindu deities. The widely circulated joke is that if you took out the verses with the names of all Hindu gods from the guru granth sahib, you will be left with just the front and back covers; and that is not too far off the mark.

Regarding Sikhism having been influenced by Islam, this uncharitable statement makes the round in the forum often, with no proof whatsoever. The modern day Tat Khalsa sikhs pretend to be friendly with muslims, just to use them as a wedge between themselves and the Hindu Sanatan ancestry of sikhs. They know how the mughals brutalized their gurus and the sikh population in general because of their refusal to convert. It is a self-deception perpetuated by the cunning leadership in an effort to forge a separate identity.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 20 May 2012 at 10:54 AM.

6. Re: Sikhs protest BBC presenter's claim

Sikkhism was and is a part of Hinduism till the British rule in India, later Sikhs went angry with ruling Hindu dynasties of Rajput, Gujjar, Jat, Marathas for supporting Mughal ruler and parted themselves away.

Guru Gobind Singh in his autobiography "Bichitra Natak" stated that he was a descendent of Lav, the younger son of Lord Ram and Maa Sita ji, and he respects his ancestors Sita-Ram. In his devotional songs "Chandi di Vaar" he describes himself as great devotee of Kaali Mata. In his letters collection "Zafarnama", he states that Khalsa is the Hindu Defence Force and not a separate religion.

We are still waiting for great personalities like Harjas Kaur to return, Muslims using Hindu Sikh names corrupted the system and she left us.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

I love my Sikh brothers who since I was influenced by some Punjabi Hindus, I call them my Sadarji and I consider them Hindu.

Some may not always act like a Hindu, but I will say one thing - when the great struggle with Islam comes, the Sikh will be commanders and heroes fighting alongside Ram and devotees to cast the outcome.

Yes, tbere have been some problems. Yes they have a self identity. But I love them, Jai Hind.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I love my Sikh brothers .......
    You probably misread the posts. Everybody loves them. What we are talking about is their search for a non-existent identity. We all love them and have the most cordial relations with them. Some of us probably made a wrong choice of words that gave you the impression that there is a divide between Hindus and Sikhs. There is none. So, relax!

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Regarding Sikhism having been influenced by Islam, this uncharitable statement makes the round in the forum often, with no proof whatsoever. The modern day Tat Khalsa sikhs pretend to be friendly with muslims, just to use them as a wedge between themselves and the Hindu Sanatan ancestry of sikhs. They know how the mughals brutalized their gurus and the sikh population in general because of their refusal to convert. It is a self-deception perpetuated by the cunning leadership in an effort to forge a separate identity.
    True !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

10. Re: Sikhs protest BBC presenter's claim

Quote Originally Posted by kamala View Post
    I am a proud Sikh and I know a few Sikhs in my area who act like this.. but to be honest, most of those people who are proud of their religious symbols don't know a clue about the religion. Most drink liquor and eat meat etc, however I am a Indian Sikh and I do not act that way, some Sikhs on other forums do not even believe the Brahm Devis/Devtas exist! I found that quite offensive. Then a bunch of them start talking and once they get together and people that are new to Sikhism come they influence them towards Tat Khalsa.. :S
    These people have to read the Guru Grantha Sahib instead of just keeping it as a holy book to bow. They have to read other important scriptures written by various Gurus and those who were near to the Gurus. These people are even friends with Muslims, they claim themselves as Sikhs but disrespect the family and forefathers of Gurus who were born before Guru Nanak.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information