Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Language??

Question Which Language??

Namaste everyone,

I have decided to learn a language. I won't go in to boring detail but I have a strong urge to learn Tamil.

I lived in Africa as a child and had lots of Sri-Lankan Tamil neighbours. I never learned the language but the sounds are very familiar and pleasant to me. I have begun learning, just a few words and sentences (not the alphabet) and it is seeming much easier than I had feared.

My problem is that before I carry on I am doubting whether this is the most appropriate language to learn. My interest is largely due to my interest in Hindu teaching but influenced by my fondness for the Tamil tongue.

I am worried that my choice could be mistaken as a political allegiance and also that it may not give access to the language roots of the ancient texts. I began by thinking that many of the word roots would be similar to Sanskrit?

My question to the forum is,

What language would be overall best for communicating in contemporary India/Sri-Lanka and also to help me with general understanding of words in Indian/Hindu literature?

rog

Re: Which Language??

If you learn Tamil, you will be able to enter a world of the most wondrous of teachings from the most endowed mystics and saints you ever imagine - but it won't be your imagination. It will be true. A God is waiting for you there.

You have already made a step - and probably for good reason. Just keep going.

Sanskrit is the Mother of Language, She is the tongue of the Vedas. But the force and the touch and the will and the path of the Vedas is now in many languages, and you seem to have a special path already for you. And if you have a moment, read about a holy man called Yogaswami of Jaffna.

God bless you who can learn this Tamil. If you succeed, share the wisdom of these holy traditions for all of us who cannot read. There is a great book of sayings in Tamil. But I cannot read Tamil. So I cannot read.

As a tamil i feel that anyone interested in knowing more about hinduism should learn both sanskrit and tamil.most tamil/sanskrit words sound the same and it would help you to understand the meaning behind the words better.
    sad to see that most people only talk about sanskrit and completely ignore scriptures and literature present in other languages which contributed a lot to hinduism.
    and classical tamil is also very different from what we use now.

Namaskaram ShivaFan,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I suppose there are always choices but my intent is clear on this issue and in response I feel God is placing Tamil before me as the path to take. I will remain open to all guidance but will also try not to speculate needlessly.

I am reading the Autobiography of Guru Paramahansa Yogananda and I am learning to trust God by pursuing good intent and leaving the rest to Him. So far, His answer seems to be a resounding "Tamil for you boy".

Thanks for responding

rog

I would personally reccomend Hindi & Sanskrit, but thats my bias of not having any connection to the tamil language, if you've already associated and connected to that, then go for it! Tamil is one of the oldest languages, its great.

Learn Sanskrit first, here is why:

"Sivajnanamunivar’s commentary on the Tolkappiyam, the oldest grammar of Tamil,
    the nature of Tamil will not be clear to those who have not learnt Sanskrit
    (vadanul unarndarkkanrit-Tamil iyalpu vilangadu: I Eluttalikaram, sutra 1)"

http://ifih.org/TheCaseforSanskritas...ge.htm#link24r
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 21 May 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Tamil is a beautiful language but it won't help you much in learning Vedic texts which are in Sanskrit. Let me tell you that Tamil spiritual scholars are (and have been so in the past) normally well versed in Sanskrit. Tamilnadu has produced many great saints (including Shankaracharya, RamanA Maharishi, Thiruvallavur etc.) and a number of valuable books available in Tamil await you once you learn Tamil.

If you can learn Tamil easily (as it appears from your inclination), then go for it first and then try for Sanskrit later.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste (or Vanakkam!) Rog,

Learning Tamil has couple of advantages. It is still practices in colloquial form, and written literature are abound to practice your skills. You can also visit south India (you can manage travel in Kerala with Tamil also) and visit some of the great temples that have been unmolested by invasions.

Monumental scripts like Upanishads have their origin in Sanskrit , but these are well traslated in English & Tamil.

vaNakkam Rog.

As a born Tamizh Hindu, I can attest that it would be a great experience for you if you seek to learn Tamizh and read the religious and spiritual writings in the language. TamizhnADu has probably the most renowned Hindu temples in India--both in numbers and tradition--and just reading about these temples itself could be a great religious experience.

It is true that there are no translations of the four Vedas in Tamizh, but the Vedic truths are embedded in the songs of Shaivite nAyanmArs and VaiShNava AzhvArs. I can point you to Tamizh translations of most of the upaniShads. Another enlighening area in Tamizh literature is the satsangham of sages, specially those born and lived in TamizhnADu, and the experiences of their devotees.

If you plan to tour the whole of India, you might probably want to have some basic acquaintance with spoken Hindi.

All the best!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Hi, I am a Tamilian and I love Tamil. I am from Tamilnadu and I don't know Hindi/Sanskrit. I am finding very it difficult to learn more about Hinduism from Tamil scriptures. When I read Old Tamil scriptures , I don't under stand Head or tail of it. (Don't think I am a Dumb guy). Even Thirukkural, can not be understood without other's explanation. very few books are available in Net about Hinduism in Tamil. if you want to learn Hinduism and read /understand Hindu scriptures , Learn Hindi/Sanskrit. (learn Tamil also , and know our culture , such a beautiful one , you can not find this sweet culture any where in this world) வணக்கம்.( this is vanakkaam in Tamil - meaning Namaste ) .

Thread Information