Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is hinduism not credited?

Why is hinduism not credited?

For various scientific knowledge that existed and/or was discovered by rishis prior to their 'discovery dates' made by man?

For example I am to understand that the speed of light is in the Vedas as of the 14th century

Light travels at 3 x 10^8 metres/sec

"It is to be noted that the Light due to the Sun travels 2202 Yojanas in half a Nimesha''

When calculated it roughly matches the human speed of light calculation
    but that was in the 19th century by Michelson and Morley, celebrated American Physicists in the 19th Century.

Is there no process to have these sort of things cross-referenced and such? I wonder

Re: Why is hinduism not credited?

In general, it is expecting too much of a religious text to have scientific truths. But unfortunately, many theists [mostly Muslims, but some Hindus also] do just that. The Big Bang found mention in the Vedas/Quran, the Vedas/Quran predict the speed of light, etc., etc..

If the religious texts do indeed contain scientific truths, how come it is always after scientists have figured something out are verses retrofitted to conform to the new discovery? Are there anything in the Vedas/Quran that scientists have not discovered yet but will discover at some point in time? If yes, let us hear these claims.

In any case, I am intrigued by the following in your post:

For example I am to understand that the speed of light is in the Vedas as of the 14th century
    14th century? Also, what is the verse that you have imaged in your post? I believe it may be an astronomical text authored by Aryabhatta (?) and not the Vedas. But I could be wrong.

Wunder, I'm aware of that. You can't compare hinduism to the qu'ran though the quotes that muslims use can't be compared they are usually just things like the 'nights will go dark and the moon will split' the ones found in hindu scriptures are usually respected by many physicists as holding much weight whereas as you said in the qu'ran its usually the other way around ofcourse hindus do it too.

Yes, that is from, Saint Sayanacharya (c.1300's), he gave that comment after reading the Rig Veda I believe; I wasn't talking about this example in specific it was merely a thought since this would obviously not get credited, but there are other things and evidences in hinduism which were far before their time in mankind...so why not even the slight credit within education facilities, that these ideas were mentioned in the ancient indian scriptures?

Okay...I actually was able to track this down. Here is the calculation.

1 Yojana = 8000 human heights.

1 human height = 1.7 metres [approx]

Therefore, 1 Yojana = 1.7 m * 8000 = 13600 metres.

1 Nimesha = 16/75 seconds.

Therefore, the speed of light works out to be 2202 Yojanas in half a Nimesha which works out to 2202*13600 / (16/2/75) = 2.80755 * 10 ^ 8 metres/second.

Yes...but the catch is that I can tweak around with

1 human height = 1.7 metres ever so slightly

until I am able to pin down any desired level of precision in the speed of light

Well it would still be very close, even the 19th century discovery is an approximation...

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    For various scientific knowledge that existed and/or was discovered by rishis prior to their 'discovery dates' made by man?

Light travels at 3 x 10^8 metres/sec

"It is to be noted that the Light due to the Sun travels 2202 Yojanas in half a Nimesha''

When calculated it roughly matches the human speed of light calculation
    but that was in the 19th century by Michelson and Morley, celebrated American Physicists in the 19th Century.

Is there no process to have these sort of things cross-referenced and such? I wonder
    Not only scientific knowledge the church had control over various other things and discoveries made by white christians were credited as first discoveries by man kind while other religions and cultures were suppressed as primitive and unevolved...

First of all, I really have to read the Vedas. I have a small translation of the Rig Veda (not all of it I'm sure) but I didn't think it was a really good translation.
    Which translation do you recommend?

The math you are talking about is too hard for me to wrap my head around, I don't have a single mathematical understanding node in my brain.

I did not know that the Quran spoke of the Big Bang also, I had never heard that.

Maya

It's not about Hinduism being credited because firstly it's bloody church and condescending attitude of westerns and secondly the people who invented and expounded many theories never cared for laurels or fame. Only the west and specifically the people who came to east to learn sciences from India, China etc., went back and falsely claimed many theories as their own. And sadly the world believes Europeans taught the world about science.

I remember in one documentary some lunkhead professor said Arabs invented 'zero'.

I believe India was a land of intellectual giants while Europeans were still barbarians and it doesn't matter if India or Hinduism is being credited or not.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Thread Information