Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is hinduism not credited?

Re: Why is hinduism not credited?

It matters to me, we can preach peace and not being affected or concerned with things like this...but to me, credit should go where credit is due. Period.

Einstein supposedly got his theory of relativity idea from Vedas even there were instances in Indian scriptures where in the world of gods time travels faster than light. But if you herald to the world about this first of all people won't accept it just because of various factors for which there have been lots of debates here - 'west looking down upon east'.

Hinduism doesn't feel insecure and doesn't need prophets unlike other cults.If you want to do your part in giving credit to Hinduism, there are lots of ways in this age primarily through sharing information on internet via youtube..where in even handful people consider the possibility of whatever content you are sharing it will be a good beginning.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Einstein supposedly got his theory of relativity idea from Vedas even there were instances in Indian scriptures where in the world of gods time travels faster than light. But if you herald to the world about this first of all people won't accept it just because of various factors for which there have been lots of debates here - 'west looking down upon east'.
    I did not know about what you say about Einstein, though it does not surprise me. My belief is that there are many more scientists "in the Hindu closet", as it were, who believe that ancient Hindus had a leg up on modern science milennia ago. Slowly but surely they are coming out of the closet. I'm fan of Through The Wormhole With Morgan Freeman; ideas from Hindu scriptures are often referred to as having sound basis in science.

The late Carl Sagan:

Sagan wrote frequently about religion and the relationship between religion and science, expressing his skepticism about the conventional conceptualization of God as a sapient being. For example:
    "Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws."[44]

In another description of his view of God, Sagan emphatically writes:
    "The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."[45]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sa...fe_and_beliefs
    Quotes from scientists:

• This life of yours which you are living is not merely apiece of this entire existence, but in a certain sense the whole; only this whole is not so constituted that it can be surveyed in one single glance. This, as we know, is what the Brahmins express in that sacred, mystic formula which is yet really so simple and so clear; tat tvam asi, this is you. Or, again, in such words as "I am in the east and the west, I am above and below, I am this entire world."
      • The unity and continuity of Vedanta are reflected in the unity and continuity of wave mechanics. In 1925, the world view of physics was a model of a great machine composed of separable interacting material particles. During the next few years, Schrodinger and Heisenberg and their followers created a universe based on super imposed inseparable waves of probability amplitudes. This new view would be entirely consistent with the Vedantic concept of All in One.
      • Vedanta teaches that consciousness is singular, all happenings are played out in one universal consciousness and there is no multiplicity of selves.
      • Nirvana is a state of pure blissful knowledge.. It has nothing to do with individual. The ego or its separation is an illusion. The goal of man is to preserve his Karma and to develop it further – when man dies his karma lives and creates for itself another carrier.
      • There is no kind of framework within which we can find consciousness in the plural; this is simply something we construct because of the temporal plurality of individuals, but it is a false construction....The only solution to this conflict insofar as any is available to us at all lies in the ancient wisdom of the Upanishad.
      • The multiplicity is only apparent. This is the doctrine of the Upanishads. And not of the Upanishads only. The mystical experience of the union with God regularly leads to this view, unless strong prejudices stand in the West.

• After the conversations about Indian philosophy, some of the ideas of Quantum Physics that had seemed so crazy suddenly made much more sense.

• The Hindu religion is the only one of the world's great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond, to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang. And there are much longer time scales still.
      • The most elegant and sublime of these is a representation of the creation of the universe at the beginning of each cosmic cycle, a motif known as the cosmic dance of Lord Shiva. The god, called in this manifestation Nataraja, the Dance King. In the upper right hand is a drum whose sound is the sound of creation. In the upper left hand is a tongue of flame, a reminder that the universe, now newly created, with billions of years from now will be utterly destroyed.
      http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hinduism
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

And people question why we westerners dont take up Christianity instead!?

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post

Hinduism doesn't feel insecure and doesn't need prophets unlike other cults.If you want to do your part in giving credit to Hinduism, there are lots of ways in this age primarily through sharing information on internet via youtube..where in even handful people consider the possibility of whatever content you are sharing it will be a good beginning.
    Yes, I have planned a project called the Hindu Revolution and my other three projects which are independent charities run by me which will be purely for my satisfaction. For example, homeless kids will be given books and school admission instead of meals - this way the problem can be targetted from the root...

I want to be an entrepeneur, so I want to do my part for the community, and I'm sure as per the law of karma I will get return in my actual businesses from good works with good intentions. (Not that I'm doing it for that reason).

Here are some other quotes from scientists

"To the philosophers of India, however, Relativity is no new discovery, just as the concept of light years is no matter for astonishment to people used to thinking of time in millions of kalpas, ( A kalpa is about 4,320,000 years). The fact that the wise men of India have not been concerned with technological applications of this knowledge arises from the circumstance that technology is but one of innumerable ways of applying it."

Alan Watts

While the West was still thinking, perhaps, of 6,000 years old universe India was already envisioning ages and eons and galaxies as numerous as the sands of the Ganges. The Universe so vast that modern astronomy slips into its folds without a ripple.

Huston Smith

"The Indians, whose theory of time, is not linear like ours that is, not proceeding consecutively from past to present to future have always been able to accept, seemingly without anxiety, the notion of an alternately expanding and contracting universe, an idea recently advanced by certain Western scientists. In Hindu cosmology, immutable Brahman, at fixed intervals, draws back into his beginningless, endless Being the whole substance of the living world. There then takes place the long sleep of Brahaman from which, in course of countless aeons, there is an awakening, and another universe or dream emerges. "

Nancy Wilson Ross

The Indian astronomers went even further, giving a physical reason for how the dual star or binary motion might allow the rise and fall of human consciousness to occur.They said that the Sun (with the Earth and other planets) traveled along its set orbital path with its companion start, it would cyclically move close to, then away from, a point in space referred to as Vishnunabhi, a supposed magnetic center or "grand center"

John Major Jenkins

saying there could be a timeless cycle of expansion and contraction. Its an idea as old as Hinduism, updated for the 21st century. The theorists acknowledge that their cyclic concept draws upon religious and scientific ideas going back for millennia echoing the "oscillating universe" model that was in vogue in the 1930s, as well as the Hindu belief that the universe has no beginning or end, but follows a cosmic cycle of creation and dissolution.

Neil Turok

"Shiva dances, creating the world and destroying it, his large rhythms conjure up vast aeons of time, and his movements have a relentless magical power of incantation. Our European allegories are banal and pointless by comparison with these profound works, devoid of the trappings of symbolism, concentrating on the essential, the essentially plastic."

Sir Jacob Epstein

'There is a striking resemblance between the equivalence of mass and energy, symbolized by Shiva's cosmic dance and the Western theory, first expounded by Einstein, which calculates the amount of energy contained in a subatomic particle by multiplying its mass by the square of the speed of light: E = mc2.

Fritjof Capra

"Two thousand years before Pythagoras, philosophers in northern India had understood that gravitation held the solar system together, and that therefore the sun, the most massive object, had to be at its center. "

Dick Teresi

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Are there anything in the Vedas/Quran that scientists have not discovered yet but will discover at some point in time? If yes, let us hear these claims.
    That consciousness is the fundamental substance of physical reality.
    If you found out that you were god, dreaming a life for yourself, and that you were identical with the external world, you would ask yourself: "So, what would I have happen to me in my life? what would be my perfect drama?":cool1:

You died, and death was complete freedom from suffering - bliss. But it very quickly got lonely and repetitive in bliss, so you decided to be born once more. You've been doing this forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ZarryT View Post
    That consciousness is the fundamental substance of physical reality.
    Is this a falsifiable claim? If yes, how?

PS: I have read Fritjof Capra's "Tao of Physics" where he makes a similar argument...but really, I find religion and science to be non-overlapping. Religion is for personal/spiritual upliftment. Spiritual upliftment/downward drift, is really not intersubjectively verifiable and it is hence beyond the realms of science.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Is this a falsifiable claim? If yes, how?

PS: I have read Fritjof Capra's "Tao of Physics" where he makes a similar argument...but really, I find religion and science to be non-overlapping. Religion is for personal/spiritual upliftment. Spiritual upliftment/downward drift, is really not intersubjectively verifiable and it is hence beyond the realms of science.
    Zarry told me people have the wrong approach to reading these books, as they read it like a normal book and not a spiritual text which I wholly agree with. However I think they DEFINETELY overlap god didn't give us these scriptures with an intention to give us fundamental science but there is enough in there to show that science is just gods work and to those who believe science can not be found in religious texts they shall be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    Zarry told me people have the wrong approach to reading these books, as they read it like a normal book and not a spiritual text which I wholly agree with. However I think they DEFINETELY overlap god didn't give us these scriptures with an intention to give us fundamental science but there is enough in there to show that science is just gods work and to those who believe science can not be found in religious texts they shall be surprised.
    I am not arguing that spiritual truths are not truths. I personally have benefitted from delving into Hindu philosophy, reading the BG and meditation. So, it is definitely TRUTH and its epistemic status is the highest because I have directly perceived its benefits.

The point I am making is that science has absolutely nothing to say or measure about this feeling. You can plug some electrodes on your chest and on your head and view the pulse rate, etc. but that is about it.

Spirituality is not intersubjectively verifiable. If you undergo meditation and I undergo meditation, there is no way we can compare who benefitted more.

I agree with you, but my point is hinduism is not creation-centric like the abrahamic religions. We do not refute science. So it would benefit those with no knowledge of Dharmic religions to know that there is a faith out there not only that works with science but HAS science, and lots of it.

Thread Information