Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Namaste all. I try to meditate sometimes, but I always feel so overcome with worry. I am a student and right now I am taking quite a few classes that keep me busy and even feeling stressed. So, when I try to meditate, thoughts come to my mind like, "did I remember to submit that assignment?" "Did I study enough for that test?"

My question is, are there any ways to calm my mind? For those of you that are students here, what do you do to help yourself remain calm?

Thank you all,

Vitani

Re: Question

Hi 5. 18 year old student. My advice is remember that time that you idle away doing nothing merely thinking about work - but you feel not nearly as much sorrow doing those things, but when someone asks you do some work, you scream 'I MUST STUDY!'

Furthermore remember that it is not a waste of time, its time well spent on mastery of certain things, and time dedicated towards the divine, so you will surely benefit from it, as per the law of karma. That is my opinion. So listen to a mantra before meditating, whichever you like - and forget everything except the divine, sit down and concentrate on relaxing every part of your body. That is what my father taught me. You'll realise your neck, fingers, shoulders and certain parts of your body will be tense...so target every part and loosen them...hopefully you'll be fine!

Other members will give better advice but that is just my humble view

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Vitani,

I would recommend swimming or some other form of rhythmic aerobic sport, this will help move the nervous energy at the
    same time that it assists your breathing in becoming deeper, more regulated, the heart stronger. the heart is after all, the
    central mechanism in this process, every thought has a root in the heart.

Are you breathing deeply into the stomach with your diaphragm, or into the top of the lungs; if it is into the lungs you will
    notice your ribcage expanding? Take a few moments to notice how you breath, this is of the utmost importance.

Re read the above, as breathing is meditation!!!

The time of day that you meditate will have a great effect on your mind also. As has been uttered by so many for so long; the
    morning before sunrise is the best most effective time for peace of mind, this will set you up spiritually for the day.

The key to remaining calm is, exactly that; not to become stressed in the first place.
    Do you recite mantra whilst you meditating?

Meditation is letting go, knowing that you don't need to control your destiny, so you might need to change your
    practise a little.

How about a new mantra to the divine Sarasvatī, whilst you are studying ... ?

What do you enjoy doing most?

My favourite way to meditate is in improvisation with my guitar, do you have any hobby's with which you can stop the whirling
    of your mind?

Quite why the Western education system bases its all upon memorising things for regurgitation is quite beyond me, everything
    focuses on competition and stress rather than true aptitude or real understanding; but that is a topic for another thread.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

regarding breath

It is said as prāṇa goes, so do the senses. He or she that manages/ befriends prāṇa is able to manage and control the various dimensions of prāṇa - the mind, taste, touch, etc.
    you will find more here on this HDF post:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3911

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Vitani View Post
    Namaste all. I try to meditate sometimes, but I always feel so overcome with worry. I am a student and right now I am taking quite a few classes that keep me busy and even feeling stressed. So, when I try to meditate, thoughts come to my mind like, "did I remember to submit that assignment?" "Did I study enough for that test?"

My question is, are there any ways to calm my mind? For those of you that are students here, what do you do to help yourself remain calm?

Thank you all,

Vitani

First i think it needs some clarification as to what your goals / purposes are for your meditative practice. The other posts in this thread are useful, but we can be more useful if we know a few things about your practice.

So i have a few questions for you, and then i might be able to say something useful.

1. Why are you meditating?

2. What are you meditating on / about?

3. What do you think 'meditation' is? / What exactly are you doing when you meditate?
    If you found out that you were god, dreaming a life for yourself, and that you were identical with the external world, you would ask yourself: "So, what would I have happen to me in my life? what would be my perfect drama?":cool1:

You died, and death was complete freedom from suffering - bliss. But it very quickly got lonely and repetitive in bliss, so you decided to be born once more. You've been doing this forever.

Namaste ZarryT

Well, I have mala beads that I use to chant the mantra "Namah Shivaya." I unfortunately sometimes allow my mind to wander, but I try to concentrate on Shiva Linga when I meditate on the mala beads.

I hope that helps clarify a bit

Pranams

Vitani

namaste Vitani.

This website on Yoga meditation based on the HimAlayan tradition has information on how to control your thoughts during meditation:
    http://www.swamij.com/
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste Vitani.

This website on Yoga meditation based on the HimAlayan tradition has information on how to control your thoughts during meditation:
    http://www.swamij.com/
    There are two problems with this website:

1)The webmaster of this site is a shishya of the very controversial figure Swami Rama, who has been charged guilty with sexual abuse in court.

2)The webmaster of this site tries to separate yoga from Hinduism, pretending that Hinduism as a religion and yoga are two different things. He thinks that Hinduism is a perversion of yoga.

Therefore, I would avoid this website like the plague.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 30 May 2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitani View Post
    Namaste ZarryT

Well, I have mala beads that I use to chant the mantra "Namah Shivaya." I unfortunately sometimes allow my mind to wander, but I try to concentrate on Shiva Linga when I meditate on the mala beads.

I hope that helps clarify a bit

Pranams

Vitani

If you could explicitly answer the three questions i gave you it would clarify it much more, since from this post I can only make inferences about your answers.
    If you found out that you were god, dreaming a life for yourself, and that you were identical with the external world, you would ask yourself: "So, what would I have happen to me in my life? what would be my perfect drama?":cool1:

You died, and death was complete freedom from suffering - bliss. But it very quickly got lonely and repetitive in bliss, so you decided to be born once more. You've been doing this forever.

It helps to chant for a few minutes before you meditate. Also try to find a time during the day when you feel the most relaxed.
    For me it's just before lunch and in the evening before dinner.
    Your mind will wander, a lot. It takes years to learn to get really focused, probably life times. But stick with it when your mind wanders bring it back, just keep doing this over and over again, and eventually your mind will be more still.

Maya

Thread Information