Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Dvaita lead to the same goal as Christianity?

Does Dvaita lead to the same goal as Christianity?

Namaste,

In Christianity the goal is to go to Heaven after death and live separately with God. In what way does this goal differ from the goal of a Dvaitin (ofcourse after making allowance for reincarnation)? I dont want to get into a discussion on different Hindu philosophies.

Thank you,

Re: Does Dvaita lead to the same goal as Christianity?

Is it not ultimately the same goal as every religion, with slightly varying parameters concerning 'heaven'?

Some might argue that the chief goal is to reach an understanding of the process and mechanic of this activity of 'life', so that we may escape the game only to return to it with a greater, richer and more exciting understanding.
    If you found out that you were god, dreaming a life for yourself, and that you were identical with the external world, you would ask yourself: "So, what would I have happen to me in my life? what would be my perfect drama?":cool1:

You died, and death was complete freedom from suffering - bliss. But it very quickly got lonely and repetitive in bliss, so you decided to be born once more. You've been doing this forever.

I can't speak for Dvaita specifically. But I would say that, from the standpoint of bhakti-based, Hindu traditions, there are numerous differences with Christianity. Here are a few thoughts.

1) Acceptance of apaurusheya-agamas as authority on right knowledge, as opposed to authored works in Christianity (the Bible). Even Puranas and Itihasas are accepted only to the extent that they don't contradict Vedas.

2) Importance of understanding the difference between one's self and one's body as a prerequisite for God-realization (see chapters 2-5 of the Gita) whereas this point is totally ignored in Christianity. Note that, if you understand how the self is non-material, it becomes easier to understand how Brahman/God is non-material, so this is by no means a minor point.

3) Brahman/God in shruti is an entity with a divine form, all-pervading, yet always immune to the effects of matter. In Christianity, Jesus is God in human form who takes a body made up of flesh and suffers for humanity's sins. This idea of the omnipotent God taking a material body of flesh and blood and being tortured would not be acceptable to any Vaishnavas I have met.

4) Also, it's not entirely true that the goal is to "go to Heaven after death." Many Vaishnavas say (and with support from the bhAgavata purANa and viShNu purANa) that the goal is to develop the uninterrupted mood of wanting to constantly serve Him with no ulterior motive. It's just that, when the Lord has nothing left to offer the devotee, He then offers moksha which consists of bringing the devotee into His personal presence in param padam.

5) For goal of Dvaita (or any Vaishnava-vedAnta school) to be same as goal of Christianity, one would have to assert that the Brahman of Vedaanta is the same as the Jehovah of Christianity. I don't believe this for a second. The "God" of Christianity is (by his own words) a jealous god who punishes people for worshipping other deities and demands unquestioning obedience. Compare and contrast to Sri Krishna in the Gita who, although maintaining there was a correct path and an incorrect path, gave Arjuna the freedom to choose what he would do.

regards,

philosoraptor

Admin should move the thread to christianity.

Hi.,

Just my few cents...

Every theistic philosophy has to have same Goal ( One God and multiple sentients). But doesn't mean all philosophies have the clarity on the relationship between God, Sentients and inert at the same level.

Dvaita or TattvaVada has lot more clarity on the relationship and nature of these three entities along with the natural, eternal differences between these three. The goal of only one sentient nature is attaining the association of personal form of God ( Mukthi Yogya - Qualified for attaining the Mukthi) and for the rest, there is no such goal.

OTOH, in Christianity there is no such clarity and it is a layman version of Saranagathi (Complete surrender and blind faith due to layman version) and Dvaita or any vaishnava schools, such blind surrender is not encouraged or even considered something that will give results. Knowing him and then Knowing HIM are the two step before the process of "surrender" happens and that is the major difference as well as greater strength of Dvaita and Vaishnava schools.

Hare Krshna!

Does Dvaita lead to the same goal as Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyard Kipling
    "Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."

Namaste Philosoraptor and grames,

Thank you, you makesound points on why DVaita is better. You have shed some light.

Namaste CHaritra,

I don't belive in Universal ideas like all religions lead to same goal. While I can clearly see that the ADvaita goal is very different from dualistic CHristianity I could not say the same for DVaita. Hence my question if the final liberation is the same for DVaita and CHristianity and whether one can attain that following either approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker123 View Post
    Namaste,

In Christianity the goal is to go to Heaven after death and live separately with God. In what way does this goal differ from the goal of a Dvaitin (ofcourse after making allowance for reincarnation)? I dont want to get into a discussion on different Hindu philosophies.

Thank you,
    There is no Dvaita scripture (or Christian scripture) that equates the two.

In the absence of such an identity, we would simply be speculating.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    There is no Dvaita scripture (or Christian scripture) that equates the two.
    Doesnt have to. The Dvaitin may define liberation as going to Heaven and being with Vishnu while the Christian may define liberation as going to Heaven and being with Christ. The Universalist comes and says Vishnu=Christ=God; so liberation is the same for both they are just taking different paths. How will a Dvaitin challenge that view was my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker123 View Post
    Doesnt have to. The Dvaitin may define liberation as going to Heaven and being with Vishnu while the Christian may define liberation as going to Heaven and being with Christ. The Universalist comes and says Vishnu=Christ=God; so liberation is the same for both they are just taking different paths. How will a Dvaitin challenge that view was my question.
    The Dvaitin will reject the claim of Christ = Vishnu for lack of evidence. That is, such a claim has no basis in tattvavada (dvaita) scripture. Tattvavada is also clear that there is only one path to Vishnu and that is the path of Madhva. All other paths, including those of other Vaishnavas, will not lead to Vishnu.

Similarly, a Christian would reject such a claim as it is not founded in the Bible. Per the Bible, Vishnu is a false God and hence, is not Christ.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Thread Information