Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chakra systems

Chakra systems

Namaste

Most are somewhat familiar with the concepts of chakras - spinning wheels or vortexes in the subtle body corresponding to junctures of nadis (subtle nerves). Kundalini is said to traverse upwards reabsorbing and purifying the elements until achieving union with Shiva as Parashakti.

Much of this information has, unfortunately, been watered down for mass consumption.

The source text (for the usual version given of the chakra system) seems to be the Sat-Chakra-Nirupana, first translated into English by John Woodroffe (Arthur Avalon) in The Serpent Power. This text goes over 6 major chakras leading up to the 7th, also touching on the minor chakras between Ajna and the Brahmarandra (aperture at the top of the Sahasrara). This is followed up by the Paduka Pancaka, also published in the Serpent Power, which focuses on these minor chakras.

But what about other chakra systems? What of the system of Radha Soami? of Gorakhnath? Of others? Are traces to be found in the puranas, the agamas, etc.? What about the Vedas?

My intention in starting this thread is to explore beyond the six chakra system as well as perhaps to shed additional light on it.

However, my own efforts would be entirely insufficient to the task, and therefore I humbly request the respected contribution of HDF's many knowledgeable members to build this thread.

Namaste

Re: Chakra systems

Namaste

"Dearest, (in the pinda exist) the chakras of five lines, 16 lines, sixty four petals, the truly beautiful 100 petal (lotus)[Agnya?] and the beautiful thousand petal lotus [Sahasrara] and above this is a very brilliant 10,000,000 petal lotus. Above the 10 million petal lotus is a 30,000,000 petal lotus, each pericarp of which is similar to a flame. Above this is the all encompassing, eternal, undivided, independent, steady lotus – pervading all, stainless. By its will (sveccha) it causes creation and dissolution. Both the animate and inaminate are dissolved in this linga."
    (Kaulajnananirnaya Tantra, third chapter, attributed to Matsyendranath, 11th century CE)

[Courtesy Mike Magee's work at shivashakti.com]

An article on Gorakhnath's version of the chakras (or at least, a version) written by Gopi Nath Kaviraj is also reposted on shivashakti.com:
    http://www.shivashakti.com/gorchak.htm

Excerpt of particular interest (to me, anyway):

On crossing this one comes up to the Brahmarandhra in the cranium (mUrdhasthAna), with its multi-coloured 1,000 petals. This is the so called Sahasrara of the mystic literature - the Aim and End of all spiritual progress. It is here that the Guru and the Chaitanya Sakti reside.
    One would naturally expect that the series of chakras would come to an end here. But the picture on which the above account is based, mentions 6 chakras more beyond the Sahasrara, viz. (a) Urdharandhra, (b). Bhramaraguha, (c) Akunthapitha Punyagara, (d) Kolhata, (e) Vajradanda and (f) Niradhara Paramajyotischakra. The Urdharandhra, called Talu chakra in the Ms, is seated in the Talima and is a 64-lobed chakra, presided by Goraksanatha and Siddhanta sakti. This statement is interesting as it gives us an idea of what the followers of the path thought in connection with the founder of their school. The Bhramaraguha, also called Alekha, i. e. Alaksya chakra (called Brahma Chakra6 in the Ms), is the place, where samadhi-yoga ensues, and prana and manas cease to work. The lotus is described as furnished with ten millions of lobes and wonderfully brilliant. The presiding God of this centre is Alaksyanatha, the Sakti called Maya (= Mahamaya?; Akula in the Ms.) and the Rsi Mahavisnu.
    The higher Chakra with an equal number of lobes has Akalanatha as Devata, Akalesvari as Sakti and as Akala as Rsi.
    The Kolhata Chakra is in the Sikhamandala and corresponds to the Vaikuntha of the Vaisnavas and Kailasa of the Saivas. Both the Devata and the Sakti are named Ananta7. The Ms. calls this region a road to the Highest Void (paramashUnyamArga).
    The description of Vajradanda is not very clear. It is said to be, as I understand it to be, in the form of a column, vast (mahAvishAla), lustrous (tejaHpu~njaprabhA) and long (dIrgha).
    The final Chakra is in the Niralambasthana, with an infinite number of lobes, colours, matrkas, devas and worlds. This is the Highest Seat of the Gurudeva.
    Beyond this is a series of 20 voids of which nothing is said. The Ms. observes that Final Liberation takes place in the Great Void (paramashUnyasthAna) above 21 Brahmandas. Transcending the great Void the Yogin becomes eternally free from 'coming and going', i. e. the wheel of birth and death: sa cha yogI tiShThati yuge yuge jyotiH sametya

Here is another chakra system consisting of 8 chakras of 8 petals each originating from the Kaulajnana Nirnaya (note: the same source as the topmost quote regarding chakras above the sahasrara, but obviously different systems) attributed to Matsyendrenath (Gorakhnath's guru):
    http://www.shivashakti.com/mat2.htm

Namaste

An additional point I'd like to raise (briefly for now) is the heart chakra(s).

Anahata (unstruck, as in unstruck sound; the pravana (AUM)) is generally regarded as the heart chakra. However, some texts mention an additional 8 petaled heart chakra (where the anahata is 12 petaled). This chakra is generally dubbed the "Hrit" chakraor refered to as the Hridaya Guha. This chakra is accorded special significance as an altar of worship, above and beyond the sahasrara or, in the systems which include them, the chakras above the head.
    Last edited by Shuddhasattva; 26 June 2012 at 06:58 AM.

Namaste,

Sri Ramana Maharshi in Sri Ramana Gita says that the heart chakra is located 2 inches tot the right of anahat chakra (from center of chest) and is not connected to any body part.

This chakra even supports sahastra chakra.

Though many have not experienced it.

For Sri Ramana heart means source or Atman. When one experiences samadhi, and when mind returns to physical body, it tries to pull or rather keep that experience of bliss and first experience is at this chakra and then consciousness enters other chakras and then physical body.

This is the explanation given by Sri Ramana Maharshi when one questioned that if Atman is not the body so how can you pin point it to a point within the body.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

As long as we're discussing chakra systems, can anyone comment on the existence of the 7 alleged chakras below the muladhara?

The Atala in the hips said to govern fear and lust; the Vitala in the thighs, associated with anger and resentment; the Sutala in the knees, governing jealousy; Talatala in the calves bringing "confusion and instinctive wilfulness" (my sources for the names, locations and functions is Wikipedia, so I'm fully prepared to be corrected ) the Rasatala in the ankles, bringing "selfishness and pure animal nature"; Mahatala in the feet, "the dark realm 'without conscience', and inner blindness" ; and finally Patala in the soles of the feet, "the realm of malice, murder, torture and hatred, borderings on the realm of Naraka, or Hell."

My own experience leads me to believe that the negative effects of these alleged "bad chakras" have been made up, and for good reason. In my own practice of meditation on my subtle body (not limited to my chakras) I've found that meditating on the feet, legs, hips, etc. lead to the stimulation of the muladhara chakra. I have not found any adverse effects from concentrating on the locations of these "animalistic" chakras whatsoever; quite the opposite in fact. I believe that without first having cleared blocked energy from these locations, it is very hard to stimulate muladhara effectively.

Kundalini yoga is such a powerful practice, that it is my conclusion that these "bad chakras" were a bit of propaganda put out to keep people from hurting themselves. Maybe the intention was that if someone tried to take up meditation without a guru to tell him the truth, he just wouldn't make very much progress?

Does anyone agree with my idea? Has anyone found any substance in the claims of negative effects in these chakras?
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

@Giza,

There are chakras at places which you have mentioned. These are all minor chakras.

I have done cources in pranic healing and as per my knowledge, minor chakras are not associated with any emotions.

I do not think they are bad for us and have negative effrct.

infact when transferring energy, we were thought not to transfer from any major chakra, but through these minor chakras.

When one is thinking or passing energy, cords are linked between both and energies are exchanged.

So some negative energy of patient might get transferred to you and may block or clog your major chakra. But if you pass is from say crown or heart through palm chakra, then only palm chakra might get affected.

It is more safe to transfer or scan energy from minor chakra than major chakra.

Again, these are not found in any shastras, Just learned them in pranic healing courses. So you may or may not agree.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    @Giza,

There are chakras at places which you have mentioned. These are all minor chakras.

I have done cources in pranic healing and as per my knowledge, minor chakras are not associated with any emotions.

I do not think they are bad for us and have negative effrct.

infact when transferring energy, we were thought not to transfer from any major chakra, but through these minor chakras.

When one is thinking or passing energy, cords are linked between both and energies are exchanged.

So some negative energy of patient might get transferred to you and may block or clog your major chakra. But if you pass is from say crown or heart through palm chakra, then only palm chakra might get affected.

It is more safe to transfer or scan energy from minor chakra than major chakra.

Again, these are not found in any shastras, Just learned them in pranic healing courses. So you may or may not agree.
    What you're saying is consistent with my personal experience, thank you.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Quote Originally Posted by Giza View Post
    My own experience leads me to believe that the negative effects of these alleged "bad chakras" have been made up, and for good reason. In my own practice of meditation on my subtle body (not limited to my chakras)
    Not just the "badness" but these chakras are also made up. Atala vetala etc are names of puranic lower worlds - somebody was ingenuous to link them to "animal chakras". I will be grateful if anyone can show me where in yoga texts these "animal chakras" are mentioned even passingly. Older reference to chakras are much simpler with few 4 to 5 chakras as spoked wheels rather than colorful lotuses. The only place where these lower points are referenced and used for physical healing is Chinese Tao, I believe - they are certainly not "bad" and may not be part of Yoga, but Tao [which I think is a fairly advanced and deep system - but credit should got to Tao, and we need not call them chakras].

I've found that meditating on the feet, legs, hips, etc. lead to the stimulation of the muladhara chakra. I have not found any adverse effects from concentrating on the locations of these "animalistic" chakras whatsoever; quite the opposite in fact. I believe that without first having cleared blocked energy from these locations, it is very hard to stimulate muladhara effectively.
    I think focusing anywhere on the gross body is always good, particularly when mind is disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    I will be grateful if anyone can show me where in yoga texts these "animal chakras" are mentioned even passingly.
    Well, I believe I have read of the "bad chakras" in the sat chakra nirupana actually, but I have no idea how credible that scripture is. If I have time I'll look for the specific location of the reference.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Quote Originally Posted by Giza View Post
    Well, I believe I have read of the "bad chakras" in the sat chakra nirupana actually, but I have no idea how credible that scripture is. If I have time I'll look for the specific location of the reference.
    For the life of me I can't find it. I must have made it up.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Thread Information