Namaste

Most are somewhat familiar with the concepts of chakras - spinning wheels or vortexes in the subtle body corresponding to junctures of nadis (subtle nerves). Kundalini is said to traverse upwards reabsorbing and purifying the elements until achieving union with Shiva as Parashakti.

Much of this information has, unfortunately, been watered down for mass consumption.

The source text (for the usual version given of the chakra system) seems to be the Sat-Chakra-Nirupana, first translated into English by John Woodroffe (Arthur Avalon) in The Serpent Power. This text goes over 6 major chakras leading up to the 7th, also touching on the minor chakras between Ajna and the Brahmarandra (aperture at the top of the Sahasrara). This is followed up by the Paduka Pancaka, also published in the Serpent Power, which focuses on these minor chakras.

But what about other chakra systems? What of the system of Radha Soami? of Gorakhnath? Of others? Are traces to be found in the puranas, the agamas, etc.? What about the Vedas?

My intention in starting this thread is to explore beyond the six chakra system as well as perhaps to shed additional light on it.

However, my own efforts would be entirely insufficient to the task, and therefore I humbly request the respected contribution of HDF's many knowledgeable members to build this thread.

Namaste