Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chakra systems

Re: Chakra systems

Namaste

The above concerns correspondence between lokas (worlds, or planes of existence) and chakras, a correspondence not without shastric support.

Here is John Woodroffe on the subject of Lokas from his Introduction to Tantra Shastra:

THE WORLDS (LOKAS)
    THIS earth, which is the object of the physical senses and of the knowledge based thereon, is but one of four- teen worlds or regions placed “above” and “below” it, of which (as the sūtra says1) knowledge may be obtained by meditation on the solar “nerve” (nāḍi) suṣumṇā in the merudaṇḍa. On this nāḍ i six of the upper worlds are threaded, the seventh and highest overhanging it in the Sahasrāra-Padma, the thousand-petalled lotus. The sphere of earth (Bhūrloka), with its continents, their mountains and rivers, and with its oceans, is the seventh or lowest of the upper worlds. Beneath it are the Hells and Nether World, the names of which are given below. Above the terrestrial sphere is Bhuvar- loka, or the atmospheric sphere known as the antarikṣ ā, extending “from the earth to the sun,” in which the Siddhas and other celestial beings (devayoni) of the upper air dwell. “From the sun to the pole star” (dhruva) is svarloka, or the heavenly sphere. Heaven (svarga) is that which delights the mind, as hell (naraka) is that which gives it pain.2 In the former is the abode of the Deva and the blest.
    These three spheres are the regions of the conse- quences of work, and are termed transitory as compared

1 Bhuvanajnānaṃ sūrye saṃ yamāt, Patanjali Yoga-Sutra (chap. iii, 26). An account of the lokas is given in Vyāsa’s commentary on the sūtra, in the Viṣ ṇ u-Purāṇ a (Bk. II, chaps. v-vii): and in the Bhāgavata, Vāyu, and other Purāṇ as.
    2 Viṣ ṇ u-Purāṇ a (Bk. II; chap. vi). Virtue is heaven and vice is hell, ibid, Narakamināti = kleśaṃ prāpayati, or giving pain.

with the three highest spheres, and the fourth, which is of a mixed character. When the jīva has received his reward he is reborn again on earth. For it is not good action, but the knowledge of the Ātmā which procures Liberation (mokṣ a). Above Svarloka is Maharloka, and above it the three ascending regions known as the janaloka, tapoloka, and satyaloka, each inhabited by various forms of celestial intelligence of higher and higher degree. Below the earth (Bhah) and above the nether worlds are the Hells1 (commencing with Avichi), and of which, according to popular theology, there are thirty-four2 though it is elsewhere said3 there are as many hells as there are offences for which particular punishments are meted out. Of these six are known as the great hells. Hinduism, however, even when popular, knows nothing of a hell of eternal torment. To it nothing is eternal but the Brahman. Issuing from the Hells the jīva is again reborn to make its future. Below the Hells are the seven nether worlds, Sutala, Vitala, Talātala, Mahātala, Rasātala, Atala, and Pātāla, where, according to the Purāṇ as, dwell the Nāga serpent divin- ities, brilliant with jewels, and Dānavas wander, fasci- nating even the most austere. Yet below Pātāla is the form of Viṣ ṇ u proceeding from the dark quality (tamo- guṇ ah), known as the Seṣ a serpent or Ananta bearing the entire world as a diadem, attended by his Śakti Vāruṇ ī,4 his own embodied radiance.

Namaste

From the Devi Bhagavatam:

[COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]There are the 350,000 nâdis in this body of man; of these, the principal are ten. Out of the ten again, the three are most prominent. The foremost and first of these three is Susumnâ, of the nature of the Moon, Sun, and Fire, situated in the centre of the spinal cord (it extends from the sacral plexus below to the Brahmaradhra in the head at the top where it looks like a blown Dhustûra flower). On the left of this Susumnâ is the Idâ Nâdî, white and looking like Moon; this Nâdî is of the nature of Force, nectar-like. On the right side of the Susumnâ is the Pingalâ Nâdî of the nature of a male; it represents the Sun. The Susumnâ comprises the nature of the all the Tejas (fires) and it represents Fire. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]31-41. The inmost of Susumnâ is Vichtrâ or Chitrinî Bhûlingam nâdî (of the form of a cobweb) in the middle of which resides the Ichchâ (will), Jñâna (knowledge) and Kriyâ (action) S'aktîs, and resplendent like the Millions of Suns. Above Him is situated Hrîm, the Mâyâ Vîja Harâtmâ with "Ha" and Chandravindu repesenting the Sound (Nâda). Above this is the Flame, Kula Kundalinî (the Serpent Fire) of a red colour, and as it were, intoxicated. Outside Her is the Âdhâra Lotus of a yellow colour having a dimension of four digits and Comprising the four letters "va", "s'a", "sa", and "sa". The Yogis meditate on this. In its centre is the hexagonal space (Pîtham). This is called the Mûlâdhâra for it is the base and it supports all the six lotuses. Above it is the Svâdhisthâna Chakra, fiery and emitting lustre like diamond and with six petals representing the six letters "ba", "bha", "ma", "ya", "ra", "la". The word "Sva" means "Param Lingam" (superior Male Symbol). Therefore the sages call this "Svâdhisthân Chakram. Above it is situated the "Manipura Chakram" of the colour of lightning in clouds and very fiery; it comprises the ten Petals, comprising the 10 letters da, dha, na, ta, tha, da, dha, na, pa, pha. The lotus resembles a full blown pearl; hence it is "Manipadma." Visnu dwells here. Meditation here leads to the sight of Visnu, Above it is "Anâhata" Padma with the twelve petals representing, the twelve letters Ka, Kha, Gha, m###, (cha), (chha), (Ja), (Jha,) Îya, ta, and tha. In the middle is Bânalingam, resplendent like the Sun. This lotus emits the sound S'abda Brabma, without being struck; therefore it is called the Anâhata Lotus. This is the source of joy. Here dwalls Rudra, the Highest Person." [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]42-43. Above it is situated the Vis'uddha Chakra of the sixteen petals, comprising the sixteen letters a, â, i, î, u, û, ri, ri, li, lri, e, ai, o, ar, am, ah. This is of a smoky colour, highly lustrous, and is situated in the throat. The Jîvâtmâ sees the Paramâtmâ (the Highest Self) here and it is purified; hence it is called Vis'uddha. This wonderful lotus is termed Âkâs'a. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]44-45. Above that is situated betwixt the eyebrows the exceedingly beautiful Ajñâ Chakra with two petals comprising the two letters "Ha," and Ksa. The Self resides in this lotus. When persons are stationed here, they can see everything and know of the present, past and future. There one gets the commands from the Highest Deity (e. g. now this is for you to do and so on); therefore it is called the Ajñâ Chakra. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]46-47. Above that is the Kailâs'a Chakra; over it is the Rodhinî Chikra. O One of good vows! Thus I have described to you all about the Âdhâra Chakras. The prominent Yogis say that above that again, is the Vindu Sthân, the seat of the Supreme Deity with thousand petals. O Best of Mountains! Thus I declare the best of the paths leading to Yoga. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]48. Now hear what is the next thing to do. First by the "Pûraka", Prânâyâma, fix the mind on the Mulâdhâra Lotus. Then contract and arouse the Kula Kundalinî S'aktî there, between the anus and the genital organs, by that Vâyu. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]49. Pierce, then, the Lingams (the lustrous Svayambhu Âdi Lingam) in the several Chakras above-mentioned and transfer along with it the heart united with the S'akti to the Sahasrâra (the Thousand petalled Lotus). Then meditate the S'aktî united with S'ambhu there. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]50-51. There is produced in the Vindu Chakra, out of the intercourse of S'iva and S'aktî, a kind of nectar-juice, resembling a sort of red-dye (lac). With that Nectar of Joy, the wise Yogis make the Mâyâ S'aktî, yielding successes in Yoga, drink; then pleasing all the Devas in the six Chakras with the offerings of that Nectar, the Yogi brings the S'aktî down again on the Mûlâdhâra Lotus. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 50.200000%)]52. Thus by daily practising this, all the above mantras will no doubt, be made to come to complete success. [/COLOR]

[Tr.: Swami Vijñanananda]

Arthur Avalon's intro is not good enough - I also know the linking of the vedic sapta vyahritis with chakras through my root guru, but believe such association is a late link up. Same with respect to puranic lower worlds.

But Abhinavagupta & KS links each chakras to bhuvanas and their adhipatis as well as the more well known tattvas and tattvadhipatis.

Anyway, you have partly misunderstood what I was requesting for - I was asking for the mention of these lower or "animal" chakras in yogic texts. There may be some, and in that case I would like to know. If the sapta chakras can be linked to vedic seven worlds, no doubt sevel lower chakras can be linked to puranic lower worlds. But would like to know about the 7 lower chakras first.

The chakras are organs of consciousness they are located in the body just like consciousness is also located in the body: in a paradoxal non-linear manner.

Thank you @Shuddhasattva

That's really enlightening. I always wondered, where exactly are the explanation of chakras and their lokas are given. I had heard them in a lecture, but at that time, the source was not given, or I do not remember them.

Namaste

Aum

IS
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Vannakkam: This knowledge came through from mystics, who, in deep meditation, were able to see the chakras. Personally, I will never truly believe in them until I 'see' them in the same way, confirming what others have seen before me. Scripture does come from somewhere, not just some vivid imagination, and then is verified independently.

Aum Namasivaya

@Eastern Mind

Vannakkam

Shastras are colection of experiences of innumerable Realized saints since time immemorial. They can be definitely applied in today's time. They can be applied in practical life.

Faith is, `To believe what you do not see', the reward of which is, `you see what you believed'. - Swami Chinmaya.

Aum

IS
    Last edited by Amrut; 01 July 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: improved grammer

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Vannakkam @Eastern Mind

another analogy

Q: I want to learn to swim

A: Alright then go ahead and jump in water

Q: No, first I will learn to swim and then jump in water

A: If you want to learn to swim, then jump in water.

Q: No but I want to learn first and then jump in water

A: How can you learn if you do not jump?

Aum

Vannakkam Indiaspirituality: I think you may have misunderstood. The icing on the cake is experience. Right now I am at 99.999 % belief. Either that or you are saying you have seen the chakras in their resplendent many-petalled glories within the spine via the ajna chakra, or some other.

The scriptures are a guide, the teacher is a guide. Nobody does the realisation for you. If that were the case, libraries wouldn't be libraries, they'd be temples.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    The chakras are organs of consciousness they are located in the body just like consciousness is also located in the body: in a paradoxal non-linear manner.
    Organs of consciousness are the jnanendriyas, manas, chitta [omitted some times], aham and buddhi. Chakras may be centers or locations in the subtle bodies from where our internal organs of consciousness function at various points, encountered during a samhara process.

But I doubt chakras are really colourful lotuses, vajrayana description is quite different.

In reality, I believe, the chakra systems in vogue are mnemonic devices to re-start a journey back to source. Mnemonic devices [and not just chakras but most things concerning adhyatma] cannot be taken as literal truths and without the guide of a true inner and outer guru it is hard to put these devices to actual use except for fantasizing - which we see is often the case. Actual chakra unfolding can possibly be different for different individuals.

Thread Information