Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Detachment' from Body

'Detachment' from Body

Namaste all HDF members, please help me to understand to what extent one must be 'detached' from their body?

For example, when I'm in the gym as a psychological stimulus I naturally marvel at my body and aspire to make it better phsyically.

The question I have is it fine to actually 'love' your body but have the knowledge of detachment and that it will eventually be useless : enough?
    When I say love bear in mind I don't mean it any condescending manner purely a reflection of liking ones own personal adobe and percieving it with beauty so and so forth.
    or
    must I completely detach myself from it - holding no further relation with my body than one may have with clothes - transcending completely past it (obviously looking after it well).

Pretty simple question.

Re: 'Detachment' from Body

Namaste Icy.

I believe the body is a repository for God, our true Selves. True, we are not the body, and Sri Krishna says we shed our bodies as we shed old and worn clothing. But to my way of thinking, if you are wearing clothes (or a body that is a repository for the Self) take the best care of it you can, and wear it with gratitude, not arrogant or condescending pride, however.

Yet, we must keep in mind this is only temporary. So I think it's important and required to be mindful of that, and not become fixated on it (or anything else for that matter).

Btw, this comes from the opinion of a weightlifter also.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste, Touched. Thanks for your opinion. It's a little tough when you're vegeterian but luckily I'm blessed with amazingly good genes so I need not do much but eat well and work a little.

Whey protein and cottage cheese (curds and whey) are your friends.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    Namaste all HDF members, please help me to understand to what extent one must be 'detached' from their body?
    There is no must. Over time this occurs naturally with one's spiritual development. This suggests a practice, upāsana is in place. Yet this is not the end-goal. Just as the scent from an orange blossom occurs on the way to the development of the final fruit, this detachment occurs.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pretty simple answer is you should continue some form of physical exercise, at least a few minutes a day. A few hours a day, on the other hand, maybe an expression of ones obsession with body. Gym or home, some lifting or stretching has a holistic benefit on both mind and body. Asanas are an important form of Hatha yoga, lets remind ourselves here. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    Namaste, Touched. Thanks for your opinion. It's a little tough when you're vegeterian but luckily I'm blessed with amazingly good genes so I need not do much but eat well and work a little.
    Why is it tough when you are vegetarian?

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Why is it tough when you are vegetarian?

Maya

I'm not in the mood to debate this every nutritionist, health expert, weightlifter, vegeterian weightlifter, bodybuilder, and individual has a different opinion on this. However its on the basis of protein, I do get enough but if I were to stop eating my mums food constantly (where the time will come eventually) I know how I will go about things I won't get enough because I know I won't cook lentils or anything.

Vannakkam Icy: We are not the body. We are atma within a body. I heard a good analogy (worked for me) the other day. Imagine wearing a space suit for 20 years ... some distant sojourn where it was needed. We would become attached to it, as We (soul body) are attached to this physical body. So you maintain that space suit to the degree that it works efficiently, but that's about all.

Aum Namasivaya

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

To my mind body building is often more about ego reinforcement than physical gain this is not a bad thing if it does not go to far, aerobic exercise
    is often better for physical and psychological benefits; this is only my opinion.

I have just watched and would highly recommend this film:

Detachment

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 09 June 2012 at 01:38 AM.
    8i8

Thread Information