Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddha Not a Reformer (of the then Hindu Dharma)?

Re: Buddha Not a Reformer (of the then Hindu Dharma)?

There are some Buddhists who could not care less and are secure in their religion; there are Buddhists who are rabidly anti-Advaita and anti-theist. I frequent a Buddhist forum where both types of people exist. I'm the odd man out (really!? ) for being Advaitin and monist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedas#Buddhism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman...an_in_Buddhism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita...ayana_Buddhism this one is a bit controversial.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

It is normal for Buddhists to be anti-advaitin, if they were pro-advaita they would be Advaitins and not Buddhists.

Advaita runs through many schools of Buddhism. There are probably more schools and subschools in Buddhism than there are in Hinduism. Not all of them are anti-Advaita and atheistic. Advaita and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive, especially when the name Buddhism is not used broadly to describe the entire religion.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Advaita runs through many schools of Buddhism. There are probably more schools and subschools in Buddhism than there are in Hinduism. Not all of them are anti-Advaita and atheistic. Advaita and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive, especially when the name Buddhism is not used broadly to describe the entire religion.
    This is mostly wrong and misunderstanding.ALL Hindu acharyas criticized buddhism of being false, asuric or only very partly true. ALL Buddhist acharyas have criticized sanatana dharma as a wrong view stuck in samsaric grasping with no hope of nirvana. All hindu gods are either mara's or at best worldly protectors after having been 'converted' to buddhism by a buddha.

PS: Only a small group of tibetans believing in the dolpo shengtong view adheres to an advaitic type of veiw. This view is not accepted officially by any of the 4 sects of tibetan buddhism. Outside Vajrayana there is no scope at all for advaitic views by any stretch of imagination. So the above assertion was plain wrong. I had linked the articles by Ratnashree which gives very detailed and logical refutation of shengtong since many universalists seem to catch on to this view and try to assert similarity or even sameness of buddhism with advaita or other theisms. No indian buddhist acharya ever accepted such a view and vehemently rejected advaita type views. Neither any tibetan teacher accepts its except for the aforementioned minority. And same holds for all Hindu acharyas who rejected Buddhism as incoherent and self contradictory.

All I request is for universalists is to have respect for different views which is a good test for their self proclaimed tolerance for diversity and compassion. I would apologize in case I ended up using strong words in the process of doing so.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 25 January 2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

Buddha's core teaching is to understand things as they are without subjective colorings. All the rest of the things are kind of a substantiation of this in a slightly ironical development.

If one starts at the opposite end with an unfounded [and vehemently rejected] belief based on contemporary universalism , it is difficult to imagine what buddhism or vedanta one is following.

Universalism is like communism, it drags down every thing to the common denominator and leaves no value in any of them. I prefer to approach both buddhism and advaita in their own terms, not mine. Dogmatic mind would oppose, but that is the core of our problem.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    Buddha's core teaching is to understand things as they are without subjective colorings. All the rest of the things are kind of a substantiation of this in a slightly ironical development.

If one starts at the opposite end with an unfounded [and vehemently rejected] belief based on contemporary universalism , it is difficult to imagine what buddhism or vedanta one is following.

Universalism is like communism, it drags down every thing to the common denominator and leaves no value in any of them. I prefer to approach both buddhism and advaita in their own terms, not mine. Dogmatic mind would oppose, but that is the core of our problem.
    Agreed.

beautiful

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Thread Information