Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is Hindu Way of Celebrating Birthday?

Smile what is Hindu Way of Celebrating Birthday?

praNAm,

Today is my Birthday (janma diwas), How to celebrate birthday in a hindu way?, Is there any way to celebrate it with friends in a spiritual manner ? I don't want to go to MacD .

Re: what is Hindu Way of Celebrating Birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
    Today is my Birthday (janma diwas), How to celebrate birthday in a hindu way?, Is there any way to celebrate it with friends in a spiritual manner ? I don't want to go to MacD .
    Happy Birthday, Shivam !

Birthday celebrations are basically western in nature. Recently, I have some seen some Hindus doing it in "Hindu way" like arranging special SatyanArAyaN Katha or going to temple for special pooja followed with feeding and donating to the poor or donating to orphanage.

There is no standard traditional way to do it, as far as I know. Other members can also give some more insights

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Happy Birthday Shivam!

Pranam

Well if Janmastmi Ramnovmi is anything to go by, Fasting, chanting Mandir Puja, just kidding.

Happy Birthday Shivam have a good one

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

5. Re: what is Hindu Way of Celebrating Birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
    praNAm,

Have a very happy birthday Shivam, We celebrate in a mixed way but it is more Hindu.

We do pooja in our home and other things like donating to poor, diabled, orphans. One thing I must tell you, in our home, we do cut cake and light the candle, but do not quench the burning candle.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Talking Re: what is Hindu Way of Celebrating Birthday?

Have a puja and enjoy that birthday!!

Namaste Shivam, and a very happy birthday to you.

Like PARAM it's always been our custom to cut a cake. I like the idea of letting the candle burn.

I like the idea of using the day to go to temple or have a special puja, and making an extra special donation or service to someone. Mine is coming up in a month, so I may think on what I can do.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

happy birth day.

Hari Om!

First and foremost, Happy Birthday. May the Lord bless you with another year of good health, prosperity and spiritual bliss!

It has always been my custom to give thanks to my parents on this day and to take focus away from myself. I thank my parents for bringing me into the world, for being my first teachers, and for helping me work through some of the difficult karma of growing up.

All the best to you!

Jai Jai Hanuman!

namaskar,
    As far as I know too, there is no official way of celebrating birthday in hindu way. When I was a little kid (last year, no just kidding), on each birthday my mom used to cook some sweets like halwa or kheer and donate it to a brahmin family. Other than that there was nothing special about it except you wearing some nice clothes some nicely polished shoes and some friends wishing you happy birthday and possibly eat a samosa plate out on the street. Ah... the memories...

Happy Birthday Shivam!
    satay

Thread Information