Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Re: Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: For what its worth, I think kundalini is an extremely advanced yogic subject meant for the adept who has roots firmly grounded in ethics, bhakti, and more.

Not only would it be unwise to 'dabble' its far more likely its impossible, given many can't even sit still for 5 minutes. Traditionally, it would definitely involve celibacy, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste all,

Imo, Kundalini is something which we should not play with without a competent Guru. It can be dangerous. Only a Self-realised Guru can guide you properly safely on this path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste TBTL,

I would highly recommend that you read "Kundalini The Evolutionary Energy in Man." by Gopi Krishna;
    for insights into the ways in which Mātṛkā leads us to dance. This give great insights into the experiences felt
    and realised by the seers the ṛṣi.

It is best to be well versed in the yoga sutras, so that one is not destroyed by this energy; I would recommend
    the help of a Guru, or at the very least a close friend;
    Thank you all. I definitely agree about not experimenting or dabbling (I call that sort of thing "fidoodling"). Rest assured I will not do anythng like that. I wouldn't undertake anything like that on my own. Rather, when I read about it I thought it sounded a lot like what I was experiencing, and for some reason it was awakened; without my conscious knowledge. Maybe it's the flood of new sensations and experiences being thrown at my being, and it needs to settle down.

I think EM is right... a combination of practicing yamas and niyamas and a consistent sadhana will do wonders for controlling what I'm feeling. It may be wishful thinking, but a few times that I have practiced proper breathing and 'soham' (could the term prāṇāyāma be used here? anyway, if not...) before falling asleep, I was out cold. At other times, during the day, when I take even a few moments for it, I feel calmer. I believe this is a brief glimmer of what I can expect by consistent practice.

I'm happy to continue in daily bhakti and sadhana (such as my sadhana is); attending temple (I was too tired to go last night but there is always tomorrow ); and being in the company of like-minded people, without getting into anything beyond my ken.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Kundalini is a real phenomenon and a real force within the body.
    But I think that people, yogis (the ones who do Hatha and doesn't understand the Hindu aspects of yoga) and New Age people often think that they are experiencing it when they are not. They may say that: "Oh I feel a lot of good energy here, the kundalini is amazing etc" Nah... they don't know what it is. When you DO feel it, you know. It's not some illusive energy or fluffy feeling. You KNOW.

I think it takes life times for it to begin to flow and when it does, you are ready for it by the mere fact that it is happening at all.
    But that said, you DO have to be careful. It can get very intense.
    I have had kundalini moving upward in my body for years now and it is a very slow and steady process as I'm not forcing it. From what I understand I don't have the full expression of it, just small streams of it moving slowly. It feels very hot, but not uncomfortable.
    Sometimes I jerk and sometimes there can be pressure in my head but it's not uncomfortable.
    I have never had spontaneous asanas or been thrown around the room or anything like that, that you can hear people say.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing, meditate, pray, take care of your body, exercise, eat healthy. Never push or force the movement of kundalini, just observe what is happening.
    If it feels too intense, stop meditating for that session. Open your eyes, say a prayer, chant a little. But only a few minutes, chanting can get the kundalini moving too, but just do something other than standing straight up right away.
    Just something to center yourself with a minute or two.
    Then get up and eat something, go outside in the fresh air.

When I had intense kundalini movements I was given the advice to exercise a lot, eat a lot of protein and take it slow.

If you do this, the kundalini movement will be slow and steady and you can feel comfortable with it. After a while it will become a sense of comfort, faith and power within you.

Maya

Namaste Maya.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    My advice is to keep doing what you are doing, meditate, pray, take care of your body, exercise, eat healthy. Never push or force the movement of kundalini, just observe what is happening.
    No, I'm not trying to push it nor will I. I'm taken by surprise if it has indeed awoken at times.

If it feels too intense, stop meditating for that session. Open your eyes, say a prayer, chant a little. But only a few minutes, chanting can get the kundalini moving too, but just do something other than standing straight up right away.
    Just something to center yourself with a minute or two.
    Then get up and eat something, go outside in the fresh air.
    The irony is that when I do meditate and let myself "go with the flow", I have the best experiences. Maybe that is the part of kundalini awakening that I want? A while back I made a post about having meditated outdoors, and all of a sudden feeling this "connection" to everyone and everything. It was a marvelous feeling I've experienced fleetingly on occasion. One or two people pooh-poohed it as an endorphin rush from being outdoors, but I know an endorphin rush when I have one. Pull a 345 lb deadlift, howling like a Klingon and you'll know an endorphin rush.

When I had intense kundalini movements I was given the advice to exercise a lot, eat a lot of protein and take it slow.

If you do this, the kundalini movement will be slow and steady and you can feel comfortable with it. After a while it will become a sense of comfort, faith and power within you.

Maya
    It sounds like 'discipline' is what the doctor is prescribing.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste Maya.

No, I'm not trying to push it nor will I. I'm taken by surprise if it has indeed awoken at times.
    Namaste TouchedbytheLord,

I was too, I actually could not believe it. I thought that Kundalini was one of those new age things, people in yoga studios like to throw around.

The irony is that when I do meditate and let myself "go with the flow", I have the best experiences. Maybe that is the part of kundalini awakening that I want? A while back I made a post about having meditated outdoors, and all of a sudden feeling this "connection" to everyone and everything. It was a marvelous feeling I've experienced fleetingly on occasion. One or two people pooh-poohed it as an endorphin rush from being outdoors, but I know an endorphin rush when I have one. Pull a 345 lb deadlift, howling like a Klingon and you'll know an endorphin rush.
    I have the same issue, if I try too hard I have one of those meditations where I cant stop thinking about stuff and I cant focus at all. I'm getting better but that too is a slow process for me.

That sounds like a wonderful experience, I'm sure it was not an endorphin rush.

Howling like a Klingon, I should try that next time at the gym, people might run.

I know what you mean, I don't lift nearly as much as you, but I know the feeling when I lift weights and there is this feeling... not sure how to describe it, it's like a rush in the muscles, is that an endorphin rush?

It sounds like 'discipline' is what the doctor is prescribing.[/QUOTE]

Maya

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    I have the same issue, if I try too hard I have one of those meditations where I cant stop thinking about stuff and I cant focus at all. I'm getting better but that too is a slow process for me.
    Now that I'm learning to focus on breathing, and focusing on the third eye area, I'm getting better. Using soham and aum is a definite benefit. Now I think I understand why using a mantra is not the best idea until you are ready, i.e. initiated or such.

Howling like a Klingon, I should try that next time at the gym, people might run.

I know what you mean, I don't lift nearly as much as you, but I know the feeling when I lift weights and there is this feeling... not sure how to describe it, it's like a rush in the muscles, is that an endorphin rush?
    That is an endorphin rush, yes ("endogenous morphine", the brain's own painkiller... the "runner's high"). It was a Saturday night, I was alone in the gym (I had keys). I worked up a sweat and took my shirt off. This was going to be a personal best. I had recently lost my 16 1/2 year old sweetheart cat Toby Ann (I know I'm gonna get teary now). I loaded the bar, got into position, and whispered "for Toby". I pulled that bar as if I was pulling the Earth up, howling and bellowing (remember, my user id used to be Minotaur... the bellowing and having my shirt off paid homage to that ), and I locked out. There was no way I could or would fail. I thanked Sri Hanuman, of course.

But I can't lift like that anymore since the back surgery. I let that get to me, but like Don Henley sang "... those days are gone now, I should just let 'em go... " and I have. Now I work out for fitness and strength, not power maxes.

Now that I'm learning to focus on breathing, and focusing on the third eye area, I'm getting better. Using soham and aum is a definite benefit. Now I think I understand why using a mantra is not the best idea until you are ready, i.e. initiated or such.
    It really makes a difference to focus on the third eye.

My teachers don't give mantras, a lot of people ask about that at my Ashram and they always get the answer that we chant so much anyway that it isn't really a need for a personal mantra.
    We have a lot of focus on chanting all the time it's incorporated into everything, they tell new people to sit comfortable and meditate in any way that they are comfortable with.

Maya

The irony is that when I was a freshman in high school, there was a group I belonged to that practiced TM. And the thing was to focus inward on the mind's eye. So for 40 years I let this lapse. Well, better late than never. I guess I do a lot of chanting too, along with the bhajans and mantras I have in my iPod collection.

I should listen to more chanting too. I forget when I'm not at the Ashram.

Maya

Thread Information