Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scriptural references supporting Vegetarianism?

Scriptural references supporting Vegetarianism?

Namaste.

Now I've accepted my calling as a Hindu, I'm looking into improving myself and strengthening my growing acceptance of Sanatana Dharma. One area I'm a bit hazy on is Vegetarianism.

I've instinctively stopped consuming beef, and I'm doing much soul searching so I can get to the stage of being fully veg.

One thing I would like to know is if there's any scriptural basis for not eating meat?

I can guess that it's seen as wrong because it involves an animal dying. However, has this ever been expressly forbidden?

I'm also wondering the same for cows - is it an Indian cultural practise that has been adopted as part of Hinduism or is it the other way around as a part of Hinduism that became part of culture?

Thanks all.

Re: Scriptural references supporting Vegetarianism?

Hopefully you find this helpful, you should take no longer to read it than I took to Google it.
    http://hinduism.about.com/cs/vegetar.../aa261003a.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti29 View Post
    Hopefully you find this helpful, you should take no longer to read it than I took to Google it.
    http://hinduism.about.com/cs/vegetar.../aa261003a.htm
    Namaste.

Many thanks, that article was very interesting - I especially line the passage it included from the Mahabharata that I think boils down to the saying "do on to others as you would do on to yourself."

I may try and meditate on this - I feel now on reflection like it is my duty to at least consider these animals who are dying for my sustenance.

Again thank you, very good advice.

Vannakkam: You may not have heard of the Tirukkural, but it is an ancient (2000 years old) Tamil ethical scripture still sworn on in courts of law today in South India. It has 10 verses on each of many subjects. This http://www.vardh.com/thirukkural/26/ is the section on Abstaining from eating meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: You may not have heard of the Tirukkural, but it is an ancient (2000 years old) Tamil ethical scripture still sworn on in courts of law today in South India. It has 10 verses on each of many subjects. This http://www.vardh.com/thirukkural/26/ is the section on Abstaining from eating meat.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste.

I've never thought of it as a sacred duty before - lifestyle and a kind thing definitely but never as a duty or an act of Karma.

I think I could achieve it if I go Vegetarian in stages. I've give up Beef already and soon I'll extend that to Red Meat. Then after that, I'll give up poultry and then fish finally.

Some may see this as a kop out, but I think I'll otherwise struggle and possibly never quite get there.

Vannakkam: Most people transition to vegetarianism over time. Very few people I know of go cold turkey, pardon the pun. Beef, then other meats, then fowl, then fish, then eggs ... over a couple of years. Of course its like quitting smoking ... you have to want to. But in my own experience giving up meat is easier because you don't have to deal the physical addiction factor called nicking out. You don't start shaking, go all grumpy with everyone around you, and panic attacking from giving up meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

You may wish to watch the film "Earthlings." It's about how animals are (ab)used by humans for meat, clothing, testing, pets, etc. and the suffering thereby caused to them. It shows more than tells.

It's a film very few can watch without weeping but it's, in my opinion, very important to see what actually goes on in the meat industry. It's very easy to consume meat when it's nicely packaged in plastic and one doesn't have to think too hard about how it came to be there.

I don't want to come off with a guilt-trip, but as this thread is essentially about the moral responsibility of those who eat, or don't eat, meat, I feel it is important to emphasize that as a consumer, one is responsible for what one is purchasing and eating.

When you boil it down, it really becomes a question of "what's more important to me: gratification of my taste-buds and cravings which may be almost equally gratified by vegetarian alternatives, or the lives and wellbeing of fellow creatures?"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72964130308142

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    Namaste

You may wish to watch the film "Earthlings." It's about how animals are (ab)used by humans for meat, clothing, testing, pets, etc. and the suffering thereby caused to them. It shows more than tells.

It's a film very few can watch without weeping but it's, in my opinion, very important to see what actually goes on in the meat industry. It's very easy to consume meat when it's nicely packaged in plastic and one doesn't have to think too hard about how it came to be there.

I don't want to come off with a guilt-trip, but as this thread is essentially about the moral responsibility of those who eat, or don't eat, meat, I feel it is important to emphasize that as a consumer, one is responsible for what one is purchasing and eating.

When you boil it down, it really becomes a question of "what's more important to me: gratification of my taste-buds and cravings which may be almost equally gratified by vegetarian alternatives, or the lives and wellbeing of fellow creatures?"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72964130308142
    Well said.

"You can go to the supermarket now and meat comes in these boneless shrink-wrapped packages with very little reminder that it's an animal you're eating unless you buy a whole chicken... we're so in denial about this transaction with these animals. So one of the things I try to do in my work is remind people what's at stake, the sacrifice that goes into eating meat, if that's what you do."
    -Michael Pollan

He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same in all that is -- immortal in the field of mortality -- he sees the truth. And when a man sees that the God in himself is the same God in all that is, he hurts not himself by hurting others. Then he goes, indeed, to the highest path - Gita

What is virtuous conduct? It is never destroying life, for killing leads to every other sin. Tirukural 312, 321

He who desires to augment his own flesh by eating the flesh of other creatures lives in misery in whatever species he may take his birth. Mahabharat 115.47

These are my favourites but everyone has pretty much pointed out, where you may find these quotes. To be honest, I personally didn't quit on a scriptural basis, the fact that vegeterianism makes sense, spiritually, ecologically, healthwise are the main reasons and karmically and dharmically are just a plus because I made the decision before I was wholly religious. You don't need religion to know meat eating is wrong IMO.

You may also want to check out if Slaughterhouses had glass walls, just youtube it. As much as people hate Paul and PETA its actually a good video.
    Take care bro.

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    vegeterianism makes sense, spiritually, ecologically, healthwise

Namaste

IcySFX raises another excellent point here, that an author previously mentioned by Shanti (Michael Pollan) is also quite keen on.

Enormous amounts of land, water, nutrients and fossil fuels go towards producing meat, which is a very inefficient process. This is going to become a major issue in the world's food system very soon in an age of declining resources and increasing population/demand. Really, it already is.

As a basic example, it takes 200x more water to produce 1 lb of beef than 1lb of potatoes. Even when you adjust for protein produced per unit of water, vegetable sources are far more efficient.

Namaste

Thread Information