Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scriptural references supporting Vegetarianism?

Re: Scriptural references supporting Vegetarianism?

Namaste,

Thank you all for the replies - apologies I can't reply to all individually.

I particularly resonated with Icy's as it made me think that there are a lot of things in life that you don't need religion to tell you it's wrong. I know I can't keep hiding behind the "man is a carnivore" excuse to myself forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Namaste.

Now I've accepted my calling as a Hindu, I'm looking into improving myself and strengthening my growing acceptance of Sanatana Dharma. One area I'm a bit hazy on is Vegetarianism.

I've instinctively stopped consuming beef, and I'm doing much soul searching so I can get to the stage of being fully veg.

One thing I would like to know is if there's any scriptural basis for not eating meat?

I can guess that it's seen as wrong because it involves an animal dying. However, has this ever been expressly forbidden?

I'm also wondering the same for cows - is it an Indian cultural practise that has been adopted as part of Hinduism or is it the other way around as a part of Hinduism that became part of culture?

Thanks all.
    Pranams,

This is a good question. This subject is a source of much confusion for many lay Hindus and newcomers alike.

The reality is, there were prescriptions for yagnas that did involve animal sacrifice. The animal in such a sacrifice would attain a "blessed state" according to Manu Samhita. Note that, these were only in the context of properly-performed yagnas - they were not a prescription for wholesale animal slaughter.

Outside of yagna, the principle is that one should be vegetarian, and there are tons of references that support this directly or indirectly. I will post a few here from my notes.

bhAgavata purANa (Gita Press Edition): 4.11.10, 4.25.7-8, 4.26.4-7, 4.28.26, 5.26.11-13, 5.26.24-25, 7.14.7-9, 7.15.10-11, 7.15.24, 9.6.6-9, 10.10.9, 10.10.12, 10.51.63, 11.5.14, 11.10.27-28

viShNu purANa (Parimal Publications Edition): 2.6.23, 3.16.1-3, 4.4.25-27

varAha purANa (Motilal translation): 8.2-4, 5.19-35, 37.4, 41.22-26, 116.16, 117.26, 121.24, 127.36, 135.41-47, 135.53-55, 136.60-65, 174.45, 202.62-68, 203.4-8, 203.12-13, 207.44,

These are just a few references from my notes. There are others that can be found in Manu Samhita 5th chapter (ironically, in the very chapter that praises the value of animal sacrifice). There are also a few indirect references in the Gita, such as Gita 3.13 in which we are advised to eat only foods offered in sacrifice. Note that Vedic morality is often layered and complex. The Varaaha Puraana in particular is full of stories of fallen, sinful people who get redeemed by the process of bhakti. There is even one story of a hunter who was a great Vishnu-bhakta in spite of his sinful lifestyle, and at whose expense an offense was committed by treating him as a lower person due to his sinful background. I think the take home point from these stories, is that one shouldn't judge too quickly a person's worth based on his background. But I would be hard pressed to extrapolate from them that meat-eating is acceptable for us. The bulk of evidence supports vegetarianism as a practice, and more specificially, the eating of only vegetarian foodstuffs offered in sacrifice.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

There is also a point to consider in the Vedaantic viewpoint of Brahman as the indwelling controller of all. Since the Paramaatma dwells within every jiivaatma, then it follows that He dwells also within the souls of animals and plants. Therefore, unauthorized violence against these entities is indirectly violence against Him.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

One of the main things to keep in mind is that people tend to apply western/abrahamic paradigms to Hinduism/India.

Hindus are not slaves who are beholden to some "book" or some "verses" in some scripture.

Abrahamics are slaves whose yahoo god tells them to jump, roll over, and yell and they do just that.

Our scriptures are not so much about do's and don'ts as opposed to creating a sattvic (life-affirming) surrounding to live in and follow a lifestyle with that principle in mind (and practice); that is why vegetarianism is part and parcel of Hinduism.

India/Hinduism is the ONLY civilization/country on the planet to have vegetarianism as a CULTURAL product that is adhered to by millions. Even today, India is home to the largest population of vegetarians.

One of the core principles of Hindu Dharma is ahimsa, from which vegetarianism arose. Hindus have been vegetarians for thousands of years, long before the advent of Buddhism. Nonetheless, it is vital to remember that Indians/Hindus do NOT need scriptural injunctions to do something; we are not slaves like the Abrahamics.

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    One of the main things to keep in mind is that people tend to apply western/abrahamic paradigms to Hinduism/India.

Hindus are not slaves who are beholden to some "book" or some "verses" in some scripture.

Abrahamics are slaves whose yahoo god tells them to jump, roll over, and yell and they do just that.

Our scriptures are not so much about do's and don'ts as opposed to creating a sattvic (life-affirming) surrounding to live in and follow a lifestyle with that principle in mind (and practice); that is why vegetarianism is part and parcel of Hinduism.

India/Hinduism is the ONLY civilization/country on the planet to have vegetarianism as a CULTURAL product that is adhered to by millions. Even today, India is home to the largest population of vegetarians.

One of the core principles of Hindu Dharma is ahimsa, from which vegetarianism arose. Hindus have been vegetarians for thousands of years, long before the advent of Buddhism. Nonetheless, it is vital to remember that Indians/Hindus do NOT need scriptural injunctions to do something; we are not slaves like the Abrahamics.
    Namaste.

Funnily enough, I have just commented along these lines in another thread.

I think I'm guilty of this at the minute, especially growing in an Anglican tradition. Even though I left the faith some time ago, it's that ingrained that there are commandments, laws, rules and one set way that it's really hard to remove it from the psyche.

Another interesting point is that in Britain, the Neo-Druid movement is now very strong and it proscribes such things as a love for nature, belief in reincarnation and a recommendation of Vegetarianism. I think that by looking at a new belief system popping up, it could be that the hold of the Abrahamics could be weakening slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post

I don't think the Vedas and their supplementary literatures count to the faithful as "some book" or "verses in some scripture."

regards,
    Philosoraptor

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    There is also a point to consider in the Vedaantic viewpoint of Brahman as the indwelling controller of all. Since the Paramaatma dwells within every jiivaatma, then it follows that He dwells also within the souls of animals and plants. Therefore, unauthorized violence against these entities is indirectly violence against Him.
    One must also consider this Being, dwells within and without. There is not one fiber or non-fiber that is not filled with brahman. It does not matter if it is plant, animal, human, the devatā-s, ākāśa or avakāśa (to make room, space). This is one reason why sanātana dharma has 14 catagories¹ of knowledge to offer mankind. One can find this Being in an ant or elephant, in indra or in a building ( vastu), or in the space that houses these entities.

With this knowlege then respect grows not only for living beings but for any-thing that has being at its core.

praṇām

words
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yajvan Ji,
    Your post referenced says 18!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Yajvan Ji,
    Your post referenced says 18!
    I am happy you read it... many start with 14 then add the 4 veda-s. This is how some count. The veda-s as core then 14 catagories to surround them.

There too is a jyotish influence here:
    1+4 = 5 and the 5th is the house of higher intelligence\knowledge. What then of 18 or 1 + 8 ? It equals the 9th house. What does the 9th house hold ? It is a dharma house.

It is of great interest ( to me ) that 4 and 8 are houses of moka. Also 4 + 8 gives the 12th house and another
    moka house. SO then what does the 1st house represent that is common to both 14 and 18 ? A dharma house.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I don't think the Vedas and their supplementary literatures count to the faithful as "some book" or "verses in some scripture."

regards,
    I would think you would know that's not what I meant. From an outsider's perspective, whose background/religion is based on do's and don'ts and a central "book", would look for similar things in other paths. My point was that the framework (looking for "one" book, scriptural injunctions, "supreme God" etc.) is at fault, not the actual source(s).

Thread Information