Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does position matter???

Does position matter???

Namaste,

I find meditiation to be such a relaxing expierence and although at this stage I'm finding disciplining my mind to be a challenge I would love to further the practice yet I have been putting it off due to pain in my legs. When sitting cross legged on the floor my legs will eventually fall asleep and will have horrible shooting pains which prevent deep thought and relaxation. I've tried stretching prior to meditation but this doesnt seem to solve my poor circulation problems. Hence I began to wonder if meditation "has" to be done on the ground? Could it be done lying down or in a chair? Just curious on others thoughts. Thanks!

God be with you, always.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Does position matter???

Quote Originally Posted by Forest0spirit555 View Post
    Namaste,

I find meditiation to be such a relaxing expierence and although at this stage I'm finding disciplining my mind to be a challenge I would love to further the practice yet I have been putting it off due to pain in my legs. When sitting cross legged on the floor my legs will eventually fall asleep and will have horrible shooting pains which prevent deep thought and relaxation. I've tried stretching prior to meditation but this doesnt seem to solve my poor circulation problems. Hence I began to wonder if meditation "has" to be done on the ground? Could it be done lying down or in a chair? Just curious on others thoughts. Thanks!
    Sometimes I find it help in meditation to consider such painful stimuli as evidence of bad karma and/or to reinforce the idea that one is not this painful, inconvenient material body.

Any compromises with sadhana are best suggested by your guru rather than a casual passerby. Lots of opinions will be there, but ultimately it's your guru's opinion that should matter most.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Forest0spirit555 View Post
    Namaste,

What is important in the beginning is comfort... sit in a position that allows this comfort to occur. Think of it as the proper āsana¹ of the mind. With proper practice disipline becomes the fruit of the practice and not the means. Use your disipline to stick to your practice, your time and place being regular. Yet when disiplining the mind , it will behave like a child and protest. One needs a practice that the mind will not revolt.

praṇām

1. āsana - abiding , dwelling ; seat, place, position
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namasté,

Yajvan makes a very good point.

There are a few other practical things that might help your comfort, too. Mind you, I am no authority on meditation; this is only from personal experience.

Meditate in a warm room, if you can; cold stiffens the muscles. I even wrap a blanket around myself during winter. Stay well-hydrated, too, as water is necessary to keep the body supple.

There are several postures that are appropriate for meditation - padmāsana or ardha-padmāsana, sukhāsana, siddhāsana, and vajrāsana (my preference) - so it may be that a different pose would suit your particular body type better.

In India, many folks squat on the heels, and sit upon mats on the ground; someone who has grown up moving this way will find these postures much easier than we do, with our elevated chairs, toilets, and beds. In our culture, we almost never bend towards the earth except when picking up something dropped, and the resulting tightness of our legs and hips takes time to loosen. So be gentle with yourself - do what you can, be patient, and do not risk injury by feeling that you "should" be able to stay in a posture for a long period of time. Even five minutes a day of seated meditation is better than no meditation at all.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thank you to all that gave their opinion on this. It was helpful. Meditation in the morning for sure

God be with you, always.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste FS,

Already good answers have been provided by our friends herein above. I would like to add :

Posture is very important for meditation as it is necessary that you keep your spine vertical. In fact, it is so important that it has been regarded as a important part of Yoga worth mentioning separately in Patanjali's Yogasutras as "Asanas".

As Indraneela has advised correctly ... you may take the help of a chair if you feel pains in the legs while sitting for long in crossed-legs position. However, it is better that you learn Asanas by continuous practice. This is because that it is not advisable to sit on a higher seat while meditating as there is a chance that you may lose your outer consciousness and fall and injure yourself.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam: What is the purpose of meditation? If it is relaxation, then why don't we call it relaxation? There are many wonderful relaxation exercises available for us to use.

From my POV, meditation is far more than relaxation. But just as it is wise to find a comfortable position in your car seat for a long drive, (if you're uncomfortable, it'll distract your driving) so too is it wise to feel comfortable for meditation. A constant ache in the foot, for example will distract.

Aum Namasivaya

The question is always "For whom ?"
    suppose I ask "Does a pillow matter for my falling asleep? "

The answer is "it depends" ... depends on how sleepy I am feeling, on my habit patterns etc.

in general for someone who has just started to meditate, position should be Sthira Sukha Asanam ... Sthira : Firm ... meaning the back is straight ... and legs folded one over the other ... comfortably placed ... not interlocked as in padmasanam.
    Sukha ... it should make the person feel at ease. If required the person would do well to place a small pillow below his back as support for the spine. That way, they can sit comfortably for long period of time.

That said ... An experienced person need not constantly sit like that.
    and a person who has a physical disability or is old ... can find better asanas for meditation.

its not a hard and fast rule.
    if the "mood" is set right, asana also gets set automatically.

a beginner needs to sit up straight and practice
    the advanced one should never be out of meditation

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Any compromises with sadhana are best suggested by your guru rather than a casual passerby. Lots of opinions will be there, but ultimately it's your guru's opinion that should matter most.
    This 'guru' things shows up quite often in some of the posts. I am really trying very hard to understand, what is a guru, where does one find a guru in the Arizona desert, and for people who have never squatted, or sat on their flat feet or in any way exercised their leg muscles, all of a sudden will be able to do so with a guru? Unless one can assume a posture in which they are comfortable, how could one do any meditation? How would a guru twist one's legs to make them more limber overnight? My simple analytical mind is hard pressed to understand this 'guru' business.

Pranam.

Thread Information