Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does position matter???

Re: Does position matter???

Namaste.

Somebody (whom I won't mention) has terrible arthritis in her hips and knees and has Fibromyalgia and recently Herpes. She cannot even get up off the floor let alone sit on it.

She knows that meditating in public is 'out of the question' because having her sit upon a chair would be disrespectful to others who are sitting on the floor.

Privately, it's a different matter. She realises that Lord Shiva knows about her condition (She often blames Him for inflicting it) and thus, she meditates on a chair or laying down in her bed before she goes to sleep.

She knows it's not the 'done thing', but the alternative to that is not to meditate at all and do other forms of Sadhana like 'Manas Puja' or gentle Yoga postures...perhaps helping out at a soup kitchen somewhere.

We can only do what our bodies will allow us to do, even after we get to that stage when we realise we are 'not our bodies'. We are not airplanes or sailing ships either, but try to go overseas without them.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Re: Does position matter???

Namaste,

I am saying this purely out of my personal experience. Also have enjoyed the bliss of meditation through my approach.

Was formally introduced to meditation in a personality development program during early twenties, although was attracted to it in my teen through books.

In a sudden twist of event lost my ability to sit erect without any movement in a road accident. Invariably within a minute or two will change my posture.

Out of compulsion, started meditating (observing the breath) lying down. Initially drifted to sleep in the process, later on, out continuous practice was able to stay awake. I am not a master, so learned members can have their own views. Some can even question whether I do meditation at all.

I was told privately by few member in HDF that there are many meditation which has some specific rules to be followed. So, I may be wrong as per the scriptures.

But I have experienced the bliss in my approach. That bliss can't be translated into words. So my view, even though it would offend experienced practitioners is that one can meditate at any position to get the bare minimum advantage of meditation.

In the recent past, a internet friend argued with me that one can practise meditation even when going through daily activities like walking cooking etc etc. As per the friend if one consciously aware of the present moment irrespective of work one is engaged, then he is meditating. Say for eg, if i am eating and I can feel my fingers picking up the food, then my mouth able to feel the arrival of the food, and tongue experiencing the taste, teeth breaking them in to smaller particles, then finally sending it down to stomach through your food pipe. And if i am able to observe and feel (without any strain) every minute activity involved in that eating process, then that state according to my friend is meditation.

Hope my post is of some help to you!
    Anirudh...

Thread Information