Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Building

Character Building

Vannakkam: I recently attended a short workshop on character building. It was explained as essentially a further division of yamas and niyamas. Meant as a one-year study, 52 character traits with their definitions, and practical examples were developed.

One of the views of SD is that it is essentially a character development religion, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of this.

The first trait explored is attentiveness. It means paying concentrated attention to tasks, and to people. The opposite is inattentiveness. Eye contact, a focused mind, not fidgeting during activities are signs of it. Texting, fidgeting, etc are signs of the opposite. So the idea was to practise it (obviously) and reflect on one's own ability to put it into action. I must admit there are times when I'm not good at it, and probably come across as rude.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 24 June 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Re: Character Building

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I recently attended a short workshop on character building. It was explained as essentially a further division of yamas and niyamas. Meant as a one-year study, 52 character traits with their definitions, and practical examples were developed.

One of the views of SD is that it is essentially a character development religion, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of this.

The first trait explored is attentiveness. It means paying concentrated attention to tasks, and to people. The opposite is inattentiveness. Eye contact, a focused mind, not fidgeting during activities are signs of it. Texting, fidgeting, etc are signs of the opposite. So the idea was to practise it (obviously) and reflect on one's own ability to put it into action. I must admit there are times when I'm not good at it, and probably come across as rude.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste. I think all religions are character-building religions at some level. The question is what kind of character is built. With sanAtana-dharma, I often find that the virtues praised in our scriptures seem difficult to obtain by us ordinary materialistic folk, and rather seem the exclusive domain of the committed yogi. A big problem with translating dharma into practical action is to inculcate those virtues without compromise. Regarding inattentiveness, I think the root of inattentiveness is distraction. Avoiding television and cinema helps to reduce the kind of non-devotional mental stimuli that can distract the mind. Practicing meditation on the Deity in iconic form helps to bring the mind into proper focus. Needless to say, avoiding tamaasic/raajaasic foods, intoxicating substances etc also helps. While indulging in such things is likely to increase distraction.

very good, practical posting!

regards,
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 12 June 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Vannakkam: Availability is #2 on this list. it means whether or not you will help when called upon. Whether its helping a friend move, freely giving advice when asked for it, and you're considered an expert. The opposite is withholding, excusing oneself from helping out ... "you don't need my help just now" or "I have better things to do."

Of course there are times when we're really not available, but yes I think some of us slough this off some days too.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: Meditating on availability today, it is a fine line some days, as there are some of us who tend to 'overvolunteer' for lack of a better word, leaving no time for ourselves. I watch at the temple, and see a few people, (and some days I'm included) who are so busy doing seva that we don't have time to sit down and worship. So there has to be some sort of line drawn, but I'm not sure where to draw it.

Reflecting on attentiveness, and this forum, it would simply mean actually reading carefully the previous posts in a thread before responding. I think many of us may be guilty of that on occasion. I must confess to it.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: 3 of 52 is calmness. When the storm is about to strike, a calm person gets prepared, doesn't panic. When he/she or another is upset, the time it takes to calm down, or calm down the situation is small. Here on HDF, messages you disagree with are processed calmly, understanding that each has his right to a POV, and that it really just is POV.

Some days....

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 24 June 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Vannakkam: 4 of 52 was cautiousness, defined as the ability to avoid danger, not just physically, but also dangers of the mind, like too much arguing, and disharmony from it.

It's always been easy personally physically, because the fear of injury kept me cautious. But jumping right into an argument, now that;s another matter. Sometimes we need to 'give it some time' or say, "Let me think about that" before jumping right in. The tendency to overvolunteer is subdued by cautiousness too.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Namaste. I think all religions are character-building religions at some level.
    Vannakkam: And yet much more time is spent on arguing philosophy. I see irony.

Aum Namasivaya

Cautiousness.

In my home a fight was dangerous...like a warehouse stuffed to the rafters with 3 year old fireworks and a leaking natural gas valve.

From this i learned very quickly, that for my own self preservation, and for those most Beloved to me...how vital it was to maintain peace.

My entire life has been spent rushing around throwing water on those fires. Trying to avoid flare ups.

But over time i have come to see that some fires...just have to burn out on their own. (when possible)

I will say, it seems that it is in much of humanity's nature to burn in this way.

Vannakkam: #5 on my list (it's alphabetical) is chastity which is defined as keeping things non-sexual, on the platonic level, except for spouse of course.

When I was young, this discovery had me doubling my potential friends overnight.

It means moving to another internet site right away if you happen to stumble upon one, and seeing other souls as essentially Siva in a different form, regardless of gender. It means living a life higher than base instincts.

For the youth, traditionally, it does mean remaining non-sexual until marriage, but these days its getting harder and harder to follow, with the double manipulators of Bollywood and Hollywood.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: I should mention that the workshop I attended was meant primarily for young adults, but there is no doubt older adults could benefit once in a while by personal reflection on positive character traits, or perhaps more accurately, your own negative, or weak ones.

The sixth was cleanliness. Showering before temple, a couple of times a day, first thing in the morning, gets rid of dross, dirt, smells, etc.

In pioneer days, and when I was a kid, it was once a week, out of necessity, for the lack of running water. Only if there was something special going on was it different. That was the norm. (Gives away my age) When I taught, despite modern convenience of running water, we still had to counsel a few of them there young 'uns on how to bath daily.

I really noticed it on India pilgrimages, from long hot car rides. It felt really odd, after a 6 hour car ride, to walk into a temple. So if we could we'd get to some water.

After awhile, it becomes habit, and you really notice its opposite, dirt, or filth. But for the Hindu, because of purity, etc, and the wish to keep a home devonic in some way, it becomes habit. At least it is here.

People brought up in some other culture may not know this one, or recognise it's essential nature.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information