Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Brahma - important or not?

  1. #31

    Re: Brahma - important or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Namaste mradam83 ji,

    Regarding abstract things being created by Brahma - I have no answer. May be folks with deeper knowledge on scriptures or who have meditated on this question can answer.

    There is a good thread , which answers some of this questions in an oblique way.

    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8472
    Namaste Seeker.

    Thank you for your link you provided.

    The thread has some very deep thoughts. On the subject of Brahma, I had the thoughts today that Brahma is integral because he literally has his hand, for example, in human creation but it is something that we never consciously ask for and are blissfully unaware of it as it happens. However, I feel that we can try and understand/ acknowledge and thank Brahma for this.

    On the other hand, Vishnu is the god that controls vital existence - the here and now until Shiva steps in at the end of things. Again, the way I see it (and this is purely how I am trying to understand it, not saying this is how it is) is that we do not control this but unlike our creation we can be aware of it and pray and prepare for it.

    So looking in this sense, I can understand why Vishnu and his Avatars get the most worship being what I see as "the here and now" and also Shiva receiving a lot of worship and Brahma as the god that maybe doesn't control our life but we can at least begin to do him justice by understanding in a human way his contribution to us.

    As I said it is just my thoughts on the matter, hopefully I'm not 1000% in the wrong direction.

  2. Re: Brahma - important or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    So looking in this sense, I can understand why Vishnu and his Avatars get the most worship being what I see as "the here and now" and also Shiva receiving a lot of worship and Brahma as the god that maybe doesn't control our life but we can at least begin to do him justice by understanding in a human way his contribution to us.
    Namaste! You are not wrong! Contrarily, you have hit the point. You see, gods and deieties are not a sort of "a celestial administration" where each of them has a certain function and rank. This view would be very naive and superficial. Their ranking as "more important" or "less important" is the product of belivers' minds. Therefore, the question put at the beginning of the thread is a-priory incorrect. More or less imortant for WHOM? More or less important WHERE? More or less important WHEN? At different stages of develompent of humankind and particuilar groups and nations priorities changed. The IDEA of vizvakarman was very prominent in Rig Veda because humans at that time were much closer to their origin. The central questions for them were WHO? and HOW?. As humans developed the priorities changed. The central questions are now WHY?, WHAT FOR? and FOR WHAT PURPOSE? So it may appear that the All-Creator Brahma has lost importance but this is a mere reflection of our current attitude.
    Last edited by Dhira Simha; 18 June 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

  3. #33

    Re: Brahma - important or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhira Simha View Post
    Namaste! You are not wrong! Contrarily, I have hit the point. You see, gods and deieties are not a sort of "a celestial administration" where each of them has a certain function and rank. This view would be very naive and superficial. Their ranking as "more important" or "less important" is the product of belivers' minds. Therefore, the question put at the beginning of the thread is a-priory incorrect. More or less imortant for WHOM? More or less important WHERE? More or less important WHEN? At different stages of develompent of humankind and particuilar groups and nations priorities changed. The IDEA of vizvakarman was very prominent in Rig Veda because humans at that time were much closer to their origin. The central questions for them were WHO? and HOW?. As humans developed the priorities changed. The central questions are now WHY?, WHAT FOR? and FOR WHAT PURPOSE? So it may appear that the All-Creator Brahma has lost importance but this is a mere reflection of our current attitude.
    Namaste.

    I suppose it is correct what you say in that identifying deities by their seen importance is a very human thing.

    It's very apt you mention Viswakarma as I have previously made a post about him, as I was very interested in him being a grand architect.

    I wonder if Viswakarma and Brahma are almost two sides of the Same coin?

  4. Re: Brahma - important or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Namaste.

    I suppose it is correct what you say in that identifying deities by their seen importance is a very human thing.

    It's very apt you mention Viswakarma as I have previously made a post about him, as I was very interested in him being a grand architect.

    I wonder if Viswakarma and Brahma are almost two sides of the Same coin?
    Correct! I think you missed my post of 15/6/12:
    The base concept is indeed that of विश्वकर्म viśvakarma "accomplishing, creating everything, creator". In varoius times this concept received various names.
    The very word "creation" contains the ancient root कृ kṛ "to do, make, perform, accomplish, cause, effect, prepare, undertake; to manufacture, prepare, work at, elaborate, build". Add to this त्वष्टृ tvaṣṭṛ "creator of living beings ", the heavenly builder and Russian Tvorets "Creator", tvar' "creature, all creation, tvorit' "to create", tverd' "the earth" and tvorog "curds" (remember the "churning" of the ocean legend?).

  5. #35

    Re: Brahma - important or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhira Simha View Post
    Correct! I think you missed my post of 15/6/12:


    The very word "creation" contains the ancient root कृ kṛ "to do, make, perform, accomplish, cause, effect, prepare, undertake; to manufacture, prepare, work at, elaborate, build". Add to this त्वष्टृ tvaṣṭṛ "creator of living beings ", the heavenly builder and Russian Tvorets "Creator", tvar' "creature, all creation, tvorit' "to create", tverd' "the earth" and tvorog "curds" (remember the "churning" of the ocean legend?).
    Namaste.

    My apologies, I genuinely misunderstood/misread.

    Where you said cause and effect, that is a very interesting occurrence and One I would like to explore more.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sanatana Dharma for Kids: Hindu Trinity: Brahma - Sarasvati
    By saidevo in forum God in Hindu Dharma
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30 April 2015, 10:52 PM
  2. Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri
    By saidevo in forum Canteen
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 26 September 2010, 05:22 PM
  3. THE MAHAVAKYAS
    By Krsna Das in forum Hare Krishna (ISKCON)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27 January 2010, 09:18 AM
  4. Brahma - God of creation
    By madhurijntu in forum Vaishnava
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19 October 2007, 01:30 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12 September 2006, 09:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •