Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Love Carnatic Music?

Do you Love Carnatic Music?

To me, bhajans are the most powerful method of direct spiritual electricity (sorry for using a term so part of the modern era, but... When you are in room with others during a "for real" bhajan, it's electric in feeling!) ...

But when I listen to other forms of musical sound, and I am very picky about such things and VERY selective) I really, really like Carnatic / Karnatic music, especially instrumental with violin and tabla.

There is just something powerful and transforming about Carnatic music.

It takes me into a very meditative WHILE AT THE SAMETIME ALIVE WITH MY Surroundings (does that make sense? - but I go into both a meditative state and a totally alive in the world state at the same moment) ...

There is something special about it. Do others also enjoy this music?

Re: Do you Love Carnatic Music?

हरिः ओम्

Namaste ShivaFan,

I love music and am particularly drawn to the sitar, please tell me more of Karnatic music. I am ignorant of the Indian musical
    system, yet feel very drawn to it; I actually find the Western "major tempered scale", to ring false to my ears
    . I struggle a little
    with my guitar because of this.

Maybe you would be so kind as to post some of your favourites; and maybe explain a little of that which you know of this beautiful
    tradition?

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

A lover here.

Endaromahanubhavulu - one of the finest compositions of Thyagarajar.

Dudukugala Nanne Dora - another of the "Pancharatna" Keerthanais

Marugelara - sung by stalwart Maharajapuram Santhanam

Bantureethi Kolu

Thyagarja Yoga Vaibhavam - by John Higgins, an early American Carnatic Music lover whose life was tragically ended in his 40s.

Govardhana Giridhara

Unbeatable Bhakti Tradition.

Vannakkam: A lot of communities in the west, like the one here, celebrate Thyagaraja by a long day of carnatic music. Although I love the sound, I found my ability to sit and listen was nowhere close to the Indian audience. After about 3 hours I found it tedious, whereas my friends were just getting started.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    A lover here.

Endaromahanubhavulu - one of the finest compositions of Thyagarajar.

Dudukugala Nanne Dora - another of the "Pancharatna" Keerthanais

Marugelara - sung by stalwart Maharajapuram Santhanam

Bantureethi Kolu

Thyagarja Yoga Vaibhavam - by John Higgins, an early American Carnatic Music lover whose life was tragically ended in his 40s.

Govardhana Giridhara

Unbeatable Bhakti Tradition.
    Ditto here. And may I just say that, Wundermonk has excellent taste in music. "Marugelara" and "Bantureethi Kolu" are among my favorite Thyagaraja compositions.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

By the way, for a real treat, you should listen to Narayana Tirtha's "Govardhana Giridhara" sung in rAga suddha sArang. Normally it's sung in darbAri kAnaDa which is also a favorite of mine, but the version in suddha sArang is just indescribably sweet. Malladi Brothers have a rendition that is to die for - it's on their Sri Narayana Theertha's Krishna Leela Tharangini CD.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Vannakkam ShivaFan, everyone.

Carnatic music is one of the few things that keeps me sane in this insane world! It instantly spiritualises me and transports me to the deeper meaning of life. There seems to be an indefinable beauty and mysterious tranquility which I can perhaps attribute to carnatic music.

I spend at least an hour a day listening to carnatic music, either to the veenai or sitar, the thavil or mridangam and nadaswaram or the flute. When i'm too engrossed it can last up to 5 hours a session, to the unbelievability and amusement of my parents! Well, they wouldn't understand the peace and fulfillment I receive when i'm immersed in such divine music. It's like being in a different world.

It was a cassette my parents bought in India which gave me the first taste of carnatic music. I was 6 years old at that time and was instantly attracted to the music.

We have the Temple of Fine Arts here in Kuala Lumpur and i'm happy when I see so many young people taking part in the carnatic music lessons.

Few years back I attended the musical 'arangetram' of a cousin and was relieved to see the younger audience (of my age) tapping their laps with their palms and moving their heads rhythmically to the music, just like the older ones. Of course I did the same!...haha.

Sometimes when i'm out doing something, I patiently await the time when I can rush home and listen to some carnatic music. It has a sacred character and quality to it.

Have you tried listening to thavil and nadaswaram being played live at temples when the priest is performing puja? It's heavenly!

Wundermonk: Let me add two more favourites of mine to your list, Kanakanaruchira and Saadhinchene.

And before I end, I'd like to thank the great Goddess Saraswati for gifting us with such beautiful music!

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    By the way, for a real treat, you should listen to Narayana Tirtha's "Govardhana Giridhara" sung in rAga suddha sArang. Normally it's sung in darbAri kAnaDa which is also a favorite of mine, but the version in suddha sArang is just indescribably sweet. Malladi Brothers have a rendition that is to die for - it's on their Sri Narayana Theertha's Krishna Leela Tharangini CD.
    Could you provide links to these on YT? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Wundermonk: Let me add two more favourites of mine to your list, Kanakanaruchira and Saadhinchene.
    Any good links on YT for these? Thx.

An excellent place to buy CDs of Carnatic songs is Shankara Hall in Alwarpet in Chennai, if you are ever there. AVM Sound Zone is the name of the shop.

Thread Information