Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who do you read?

Re: Who do you read?

As a child i read everything from one corner of our expansive free military library...the Barr Memorial...to the other. I read cartoonist books some two feet x 2 feet...The Bird...Felix The Cat...anything Charles Schultz.

A story called the Story Snail. I read that one from the time i was 5 to around 11 at least a hundred times.

Flowers for Algernon, written by Daniel Keyes

One of my favorites...a disabled man who is given an experimental treatment(alongside his mouse, Algernon, test mate) He becomes intelligent, falls in love...and then Algernon begins to revert to his normal mental state and the man realizes it is only a matter of time before the persona he has become....dies and he will be reduced once again to that lower state.

I have read all of the Nancy Drew novels, at least twice. Something about their simple ways...a more innocent time.

Andrea Norton, every single book...more than twice.

Hubknuckles, by Ms Emily Herman. Magnificently illustrated by Deborah Kogan.

This book remains in my library to this day...and when i am extremely lost...i read it.

A child who dances with a ghost. This child still does.

My Beloved Mother, each Halloween...as we always did upon our lawn together.

As an adult my speed reading always seemed to get me into trouble. I could never join a book club...they always assumed i had read the book prior somehow.

I devour books.

But, some of my late additions to my reading in the past two decades were more poets than authors.

Anais Nin
    Robert Frost
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Henry David Thoreau
    Walt Whitman
    John Keats
    Geoffrey Chaucer
    Omar Khayyam

For the past few years, i have spent writing my own story down. I wish there was a way for others to read it. Maybe someday they will.
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 20 June 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Had to add a few!:P

Namaste,

I used to be a big reader but I haven't got stuck into a good book for a while.

Generally though, I Am a big fan of any Clive Barker novels - Cabal is a personal favourite. In the horror/thriller genre I love any book by British author Shaun Hutson - all bloody and violent but otherwise great stories. I am a big fan of Thomas Harris, author of the Hannibal Lecter saga.

I have read every Harry Potter book (Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows are a favourite) and I liked the Hobbit by Tolkien a lot.

Not strictly books, I am a comic book fan - I prefer Marvel these days, and generally Hulk's comics. Saying that, I am a big Barman fan.

Pranams.

How to read a book, Mortimer J. Adler and Charles van Doren

In high school I read some fragments of Latin with the help of the teacher and a notebook from Ovidius' metamorphosen, Seneca's Epistulae Morales ad Lucilium and Virgil's Aenead. I have read an English translation of the Iliad and Odyssey by Samuel Butler.

I have read some Dutch novels for school by Harry Mullish, Jan Wolkers and Gerard Reve and other Dutch authors. Some English novels I read were: Beneath the Skin, Nicci French; Salimar the Clown, Salman Rushdie; Dan Brown box set; Anne Rice's vampire chronicles box set; Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy box set; Memoirs of a Geisha, Douglas Adams and a book by John Grisham about some lawyer working for a firm (I don't remember the title) and the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I also listened to an audio book version of the first Harry Potter novel.

The Crest of the Peacock: Non European Roots of Mathematics, George Gheverghese Joseph

(Audio book version) The man who knew Infinity: A life of the Genius Ramanujan (Ramanujan thought that every equation was an expression of God, he believed that his insights into mathematics were wispered into his ears by the godess Namagiri. He also had dreams of tears of blood which indicated the grace of Sri Narasimha.)

Apology of a Mathematician, G.H. Hardy (Hardy as a person was very snobby about pure math and he was wrong when he said that number theory was free from application, but still this little book is a good read)

The art of learning, Josh Waitzkin (a book about chess/ tai chi)

Some chess books by IM Jeremy Silman.

The Mathematics of Poker, Bill Chen and Jerod Ankenman and other books about probability, statistics, games of chance and trading.

The Anatomy of Hatha Yoga, by David Coulter and Bandha Yoga, a series of six books about yoga anatomy, Ray Long (I have read more hatha yoga books, but these just deal with anatomy, so technically are not about Hinduism)

How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery, by Missy Vineyard

150 healthiest foods on earth, by Jonny Bowden and some other books by the same author and some other books about fitness.

Eat Stop Eat, Brad Pilon (a book about the benefits of intermittent fasting)

Research review, a review of the scientific publications in the field of nutrition and fitness from.
    Alan Aragon: http://www.alanaragon.com/researchreview/
    James Krieger: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=3
    Brad Contreras: http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/

The origin of Buddhist meditation, by Alexander Wynne

Effortless Action, wu wei as a conceptual metaphor and spiritual ideal in early China, Edward Slingerland

Why Zebras don't get Ulcers, by Robert M. Sapolsky
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 07 July 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Thread Information