Thread: Getting into the Lotus

Getting into the Lotus

Namaste,

I am trying to become more flexible so that I can get into the full lotus position. I am not very flexible at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exercises I should do to get flexibility to do this? I usually meditate sitting in a chair, but since I am young I feel that I may be able to work on my flexibility and start sitting in half to full lotus posture.

thanks

Re: Getting into the Lotus

Namaste

I suggest sitting in 'butterfly' (purna titali), with your heels as close to your pelvis as you can, and moving your knees up and down - as high and low as you can, gently in the beginning, increasing speed and intensity as you warm up.

I also suggest gomukhasana (cow-face position), in which your legs are crossed, with the knees drawn together in the middle in front of you, so that one knee is directly above the other.

You may also want to try going into padma on your back. Lie on your back, pull your knees up, cross one leg over, then the next, then either stay on your back or roll yourself up into sitting posture.

Hope this helps.

Namaste

Namaste SS,

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    I am trying to become more flexible so that I can get into the full lotus position. I am not very flexible at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exercises I should do to get flexibility to do this? I usually meditate sitting in a chair, but since I am young I feel that I may be able to work on my flexibility and start sitting in half to full lotus posture.
    If you want flexibility with strength in your muscles then there is nothing better than YogAsans. Learn various types of YogAsans : UttAnpAdAsana, HalAsana, SarvAngAsana, BhujAngAsana, PawanmuktAsana etc. are recommended. However, please note that if you do weight-lifting exercises, running, badminton playing, football etc. then your muscles will become hard. YogAsanas help building strong flexible muscles only if you do it for long and regularly.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam SS: I started doing more yoga a few months back, partly because now I have the time for it. I still can't sit in lotus, like I could at age 19, but the flexibility is returning. (I'm 58, so I don't think age has much to do with returning flexibility, other than the rate involved) All the partial lotus postures help ... half lotuses on either side, or just other basic ones that involve a leg turned inward. But it is a slow patient process. Just sitting cross legged on the floor is is a perfectly fine position.

But the ability to sit in lotus is not the overall goal.

Aum Namasivaya

Namasté,

Spiritualseeker, when working towards lotus it is tempting to strain the ankles or the knees, to achieve the "look" of the posture before the body is ready. It's opening and loosening the hips/pelvis that helps most to do the posture correctly. The basic Bharatanatyam dance postures known as araimandi (like a demi-plié in ballet) and murumandi (like a full plié) are very helpful for this. Try them and see. But don't lean your full body weight onto your legs and make your joints hold you up; activate your abdominal muscles, keep your core strong and your back straight, to support yourself. The advice that you've already been given is also excellent.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste,

Thank you all. I am staying consistent with my stretches. Usually I do it in the mornings and evenings before bed. I feel that even just a week has already have a big impact on my flexibility. I know that the Lotus isn't a prerequisite for liberation, I would just love to have a stable posture. I am going to try to extend some of my practice with some of the suggestions. Before I attempt the Lotus I want to make sure I am that flexible

Wish me luck

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

Thank you all. I am staying consistent with my stretches. Usually I do it in the mornings and evenings before bed. I feel that even just a week has already have a big impact on my flexibility. I know that the Lotus isn't a prerequisite for liberation, I would just love to have a stable posture. I am going to try to extend some of my practice with some of the suggestions. Before I attempt the Lotus I want to make sure I am that flexible

Wish me luck

Om Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam SS: As with any 'athletic' or learning endeavor, there is often a period of rapid progress that, over time levels out. Good to hear you're satisfied with the level of progress. Personally, I liken training the body to training the mind.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information