Thread: Utter basics.

Re: Utter basics.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

The offering from kṛṣṇa-jī is skill in action:
    • be without the 3 guna-s, possessed of the Self (ātman) - 2.45
    • it is the 3 guna-s, in the final analysis, that all actions take place - 3.27
    • you have control over action alone, never its fruits - 2.47
    • eastablished in yoga ( union) perform actions - 2.48
    These together bring skill in action... what is the skill ? Actions that do not bind. Actions that are supported by the laws of nature, dharma.

This is the practical benefits of being established in the SELF (ātman). This is the bhāgavad gītā's offer in chapters 1 to 6.

praṇām
    Namaste.

Oh, I didn't realise it interlinked such as this - I realise I have a lot to learn about the Gita.

Pranams.
    Last edited by mradam83; 21 June 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Pranams.

Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Namaste.

Thank you for the advice.

I have been trying the lotus position but I can not seem to make it work at all. How does it relax you - if anything it just hurts my legs?
    Namaste mradam83 ji,

I have found that lotus position to be the best way to maintain vertical spine for long period.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Namaste mradam83 ji,

I have found that lotus position to be the best way to maintain vertical spine for long period.
    Namaste.

I have tried the Lotus, although I have some difficulty with it.

Would the half lotus suffice until I can properly do the full Lotus?

Pranams.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Would the half lotus suffice until I can properly do the full Lotus?
    āsana is a seat, sitting, it is also a posture. Yet if we look at the roots of this word we have ā+sana. This sana is 'lasting long' , it is also 'gaining and acquisition'.

What of this ā ? It has many definitions and uses. Yet it too is defined in the masciline gender as śiva and in the feminine gender as lakṣmī.
    So this ā+sana is that posture (āsana) that one gains (sana) śiva (ā).

What is important ? It is the silence that is created within that posture (āsana ). If there is dis-comfort then one's attention is not turned inward but focused on the discomfort .

Hence in the beginning during one's practice it is about sitting comfortably. If one wishes to practice various poses this is all well and good. When one can sit with comfort, within a pose while practicing their methods of meditation - all well and good.

So it seems to make sense to pactice the various poses outside of ones time of silence till the pose can be accomplsihed with little effort and great comfort.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 June 2012 at 06:16 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

āsana is a seat, sitting, it is also a posture. Yet if we look at the roots of this word we have ā+sana. This sana is 'lasting long' , it is also 'gaining and acquisition'.

What of this ā ? It has many definitions and uses. Yet it too is defined in the masciline gender as śiva and in the feminine gender as lakṣmī.
    So this ā+sana is that posture (āsana) that one gains (sana) śiva (ā).

What is important ? It is the silence that is created within that posture (āsana ). If there is dis-comfort then one's attention is not turned inward but focused on the discomfort .

Hence in the beginning during one's practice it is about sitting comfortably. If one wishes to practice various poses this is all well and good. When one can sit with comfort, within a pose while practicing their methods of meditation - this is all well and good.

So it seems to make sense to pactice the various poses outside of ones time of silence till the pose can be accomplsihed with little effort and great comfort.

praṇām
    Namaste,

Good point - I think if I concern myself with stance in the beginning it will make me lose sight of what I'm trying to achieve I think.

Pranams.

Dear mrudram83,
    In the beginning what one should focus upon is really the correct attitude. If a person is sleepy, he falls asleep irrespective of the position.
    So for sleeping is a cozy bed important ... yes & no. Depends on how sleepy one is feeling. If one is really feeling sleepy, even if a cozy bed is not there, one simply lies on the floor and falls asleep. And if one is not feeling sleepy even on the best bed, one simply lies awake!

So in the beginning one should concentrate on getting into meditative mood... how ? Listen to the teachings of right kind of saints. One who has Seen the Truth can show you the Truth. One who has not seen cannot show either. So One needs to find a teacher who knows the Truth and liten to him... Through that Sravanam one would get the right kind of mood and then standing is meditation, walking is meditation, sitting is meditation etc. Evrything is "Meditative" !

and yes for getting established in it, one may practise regular meditation sitting.

BTW, the best sitting posture that I can think of: place a small pillow below the back so tht spine gets a little elevation and sit with folded legs, one leg over the other... no "interlocking". This is also termed sukha asana.

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear mrudram83,
    In the beginning what one should focus upon is really the correct attitude. If a person is sleepy, he falls asleep irrespective of the position.
    So for sleeping is a cozy bed important ... yes & no. Depends on how sleepy one is feeling. If one is really feeling sleepy, even if a cozy bed is not there, one simply lies on the floor and falls asleep. And if one is not feeling sleepy even on the best bed, one simply lies awake!

So in the beginning one should concentrate on getting into meditative mood... how ? Listen to the teachings of right kind of saints. One who has Seen the Truth can show you the Truth. One who has not seen cannot show either. So One needs to find a teacher who knows the Truth and liten to him... Through that Sravanam one would get the right kind of mood and then standing is meditation, walking is meditation, sitting is meditation etc. Evrything is "Meditative" !

and yes for getting established in it, one may practise regular meditation sitting.

BTW, the best sitting posture that I can think of: place a small pillow below the back so tht spine gets a little elevation and sit with folded legs, one leg over the other... no "interlocking". This is also termed sukha asana.
    Namaste,

I had my first day at meditation today - it went very well.

By looking at YouTube, it has lots of good resources with regards to readings, mantras etc so I will have a look in more detail.

If I find anything particularly great, I shall indeed share.

Thread Information