Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start practicing as soon as possible

How to start practicing as soon as possible

I am reading a five volume history of Hindu Philosophy now and I will surely read more after that but what else can I do now in my attempt to embrace hindu religion spirituality and philosophy? Are there any very brief resources you can recommend or you can even just tell me in your own words if you like. I hear Ganesha is a "gateway" deity into the Hindu pantheon. And I hear that Shiva is the patron deity of Jnanis (sp?) which seems like the yoga I am most drawn to. How might I develop a relationship with them. I am still trying to practice meditation regularly from when I was recently interested in Buddhism. I am just using the practice of focusing on the breath. Is there a hindu meditation technique that might be better? I am interested in Advaita but I imagine I need to use some "lower level" practices until I am ready to take the final step if that makes sense... Thank you.

Re: How to start practicing as soon as possible

Hari Om!

To get you started, from my point of view your meditative practices are good. Focusing on the breath is a fantastic way to turn inward.

A great book that shouldn't be overlooked is What is Hinduism? by the Editors of Hinduism Today Magazine. Covers a whole range of topics including worship, Ethics, Scripture and more.

A link to the book is here and you can browse part of the table of contents as well.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Hinduism-...16156&sr=8-1&k

Hopefully this is a start in the right direction. You will get several views and different types of practices here. Please don't take anything for granted - do some research of your own, especially with the search feature on this forum site. You will find a wealth of information to assist you on your journey.

All the best.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Vannakkam: Personally, I wouldn't qualify any valid Hindu practice as being at a 'lower' level. It's all good. Have you made your way to a Hindu temple yet? There's a nice one in Jackson MS, or so I hear.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

1. Mantra japa - recitation of mantra. Find a mantra that works for you (say Aum Namah Shivaya, for instance) and stick with it, recite as often as possible subvocally. Later, when you find a guru, you will be initiated into mantra and that will be different.

2. Bandhas/mudras, I suggest reading up on and implementing mula bandha and vajroli mudra as soon as possible. Some might say this is too "advanced" a practice, but in my opinion the sooner you build this foundation, the better. Other bandhas and mudras will come later, but in general keep a straight spine - most people have their heads/necks crooked too far forwards.

3. As EM said, breathing exercises.

4. Reading scripture devotionally. Stories of the gods, though allegorical, will give you reference points. As often as you can, remember the gods, and imbibe inspiration from the acts/qualities you remember. And of course, an understanding of the philosophy is invaluable. Shiva sutras and yoga sutras might be your best bet here.

5. Surround yourself with divinity. Have chanting music playing much of the time, have an altar and pictures of deities on your walls, etc.

6. As far as Buddhist and Hindu meditation - there are valuable techniques in both, and they run nearly parallel. Yoga sutras are a primary source text here.

Namaste

Thanks for the book suggestion c.smith. I will look into that.

"Vannakkam: Personally, I wouldn't qualify any valid Hindu practice as being at a 'lower' level. It's all good. Have you made your way to a Hindu temple yet? "

Sorry. I hope I din't offend anyone. I meant nothing by it. I've just been reading Ken Wilber and he uses a hierarchical approach to spiritual practice with practices aimed at union at the "top". I have been to a temple a couple of times. I want to start attending a class they have there but I don't have reliable transportation right now nor do I have a whole lot of free time.

Suddhasattva: I always thought of Mantra as a meditation technique. Is this something I do through out the day separate from my meditation on the breath?

Namaste,

If you like Yog, you can begin with awareness of breath. I dont know if focus is a correct word.

Meditate same place same time for 10 mins. Afte r1 month your breath will change.

Please do not mix all paths.

Reading Hinduism books is good.

If you are interested in Yog, I would suggest you to try Kriya Yoga of Paramhansa Hariharananda.

Hariranananda is not in his physical body anymore, but his disciple paramhansa Prajnanananda is the head.

His teachings are straight and to the point and gives proper guidance. They do not publicize much.

If you are interested in yoga books, then read their books.

Hariharananda often goes deep into subject, as if some divinity is controlling him.

Prajnananada's writings are easier than his Guru.

Breath practice, is good initially. But later you need to go beyond body.

This takes time. So be patient.

Regarding advaita. I would suggest you either read advaita or Yog books.

I practice advaita and all 5 bodies and kundalani (basis of yog) are all described as illusion and not given any importance. So you will be in a jeopardy.

Advaita considers everything other than Atman / Brahman as illusion.

YOg takes support of body, breath and kundalini. I hope you are getting my point.
    If you are interested in devotional path, then you can read or listen to devotional songs. No worries.

Devotion is needed to excel in spirituality.

There are no levels, as all are equally important depending upon ones mind set.

But to keep things simple, levels may be defined. Don't worry, you have not offended anyone or any belief, unless you intentionally rant / troll about it to hurt others.

Levels are there and they help one. This is the basis of Yog. From physical body i.e. breath to mind to atman.

With breath control, mind can be controlled and one can tame it. With a disciple mind, one can go beyond mind.

I would also suggest you not to keep very high ideals like not asking god for promotion in job or fulfilling wishes. Better to ask then to keep your desires subdued.

Later when mind becomes pure then desires will decrease and peace will increase.

so just take it easy, pray before you begin to sit in meditation which is just observing breath and not controlling it. Remember you will not stop breathing. Let breathing pattern change. Still observe. Let thoughts come, still observe. do not force to focus on breath ,when mind is distracted. Just be aware of thoughts and convince yourself politely, that at this time you want to be aware only of breath and not any issue. Learn to let go. Just let-go.

You will feel the difference.

and oh yes, you can be aware of nose tip.

some say also be aware of 3 eye i.e. center of eye brow. I would not suggest you that at this moment. Just be aware of breath thats it.

add other things like chanting mantra step by step and not try to do many things at a time.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Vannakkam: I think the important thing is to do some thing. Even the smallest brick to a mansion is still a brick.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I think the important thing is to do some thing. Even the smallest brick to a mansion is still a brick.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vannakkam,

I agree with you. You need to begin with something somewhere.

I was browsing my own blog and recalled an artcle on advaita, which can be helpful to OP @shays860

What is Advaita Vedanta? Can it be applied in today’s Practical Life?

It's a long article

I hope you find it useful.

and yes

Lord Shiva is a great Yogi and also a symbol of Jnana. Lord Shiv is revered by all paths

Bhakti: Shaivas, Shiva bhaktas (correct me if I am wrong). There are many devotional hymms on Lord Shiva. OM Namah Shivaya

Jnana: Symbol of Jnana and renunciation. Formless aspect is worshipped.

Yog: Being a great Yogi himself, attracts many yogis. Lord Shiva's stories sets an inspiration and a benchmark, ever meditating always in samadhi, those half closed eyes are just fascinating. Smiling face attracts me a lot. Lord Shiva is said to be seated in Sahastra chakra and Adi Shaki, Maa Parvati in the form of Maa Kundalini or Kundalini shakti. The union of Shiva-shakti is Yog. the upwards movement of Kundalini from Muladhara (root) chakra located at base of spine to sahastra (crown) chakra results into Yog and one transcends space and time.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Many people have given you some ideas worthy of consideration.
    If I were asked personally I would consider 2 things:

• Simplicity - just be simple about it. One's approach does not have to have many moving parts.
    • Knowledge and experience - what ever path you choose , consider two parts: knowledge about the results, goals, ideas, concepts, and ideals, and the practical experience for these to become part of one's life style and behavior.
    Avoid trying to boil the ocean.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Avoid trying to boil the ocean
    I completely agree

I also Like K.I.S.S. Principle Keep It Straight and Simple.

Thats the reason why l like Jargon Free language of Sri Ramakrishna.

I think Sri Ramakrisha's Biography and Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna will help OP to know spirituality in a simple way.

Thread Information