Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yoga and Drugs (Chemicals)

Re: Yoga and Drugs (Chemicals)

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste Giza,

Your post has touched my heart, I have at times said to myself that prison would be arguably the best place for me.
    I have a strongly visual memory, I need to see things fully in order to memorise them, this mean that the normal
    ways of Western studys and exams are really not practical for me at all.

Another "symptom" of this visual memory is extremely high emotional reactivity; which translates as hypersensitivity.
    I also feel prana in the body and am aware of its preasance in others, I go slow on speaking of this as most think that
    I have been taking drugs or that I am crazy if I do, but basically I have a very emotive memory.
    As if the emotion welds the memory in to my vision of the understanding of something. (This is said to be ultimately
    longer for memorisation but once memorised 8 times more efficient, dhyAna helps direct the memory process and
    guide the path).

I currently hold no real qualifications and find day to day living quite tricky at times.

Thus the thought that prison rather than being abused by the overly competitive people about me, whilst I study,
    could have been an option (I no longer think like this).

Spiritual practis is my bread and butter for dealing with this in a meaningful way, to live and function in society,
    I am even now managing to take some more direction in my studies. Strangely, mAyA leads those around me to
    think that I am a high flyer. They just do not see the same world.

If you look into Kashmir Shavism, you will find that it differs somewhat from Advaita and Hinduism in regards
    to Karma yoga.

Karma yoga is seen as living within your state of meditation, all day, in daily life. As you interact with the world
    about you, you may find that your prana is related to time universally in ways which are most profound.

It is my feeling that you may benefit greatly from this practis, if you are as sensitive to your body as you have said.
    It will be of much greater benefit to you on your path, than any more time spent in prison.

I hope that these words are of meaning and value to you, I just kind of thought they might resonate with you, not
    to worry if they don't.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Very interesting. But in jail there is certainly no lessening in "overly competitive people" around you while you study. You are wise not to think this way anymore. In fact, jail is very violent, at least here in California; and if you cannot hold your own, if you yourself are not violent in some ways, they will have you for breakfast. It is also VERY loud, all day, every day. But it's not impossible to get used to it. I often had to use intimidation - psychological violence - to keep myself from being drawn into physical violence. But once I became known as someone to fear, they left me to my sadhana. Eventually you can learn to stop hearing the noise. It's always there, a lot like living under a raging waterfall, but your own mind becomes quiet. Also, if you happen to be Caucasian like I am, you should know that about 90% of whites in the jails I've been in have been sex offenders. Sex offenders are really not very well liked in jail (understatement of the year). You would naturally be a target. But I never got into a fight, in 6 years, so it's possible not to. (of course, everyone knew about my manslaughter charge because it was very high profile, which may have helped project the, "Nah brah, that white boy's crazy. You gonna get hurt brah. Leave him alone." attitude onto the way people saw me.)

I sympathize with your problems, but I'm glad you don't think of jail unrealistically anymore (although it may be different elsewhere). The only good thing it gave me was hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of free time to meditate, read Hindu scriptures (when I could get the books mailed to me), and exercise.

The idea that, "Karma yoga is seen as living within your state of meditation, all day, in daily life." does indeed resonate with me, as I tried to maintain that state even in jail, with decent success. I was a painter in there. On hot days I would try to send all of my concentration to my Vishuddha chakra, even while painting at work, and was able to cool off that way.

My experience has taught me that Pratyahara is a condition of the mind as well as the body. When my concentration deepened on the single goal of developing my chakras, suddenly everything that had previously bothered me was unable to "stick" in my mind anymore. (Something like Arjuna at Drona's archery challenge.)

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Mana.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Namaste,

Vannakkam: Just to confirm, reiterate, or add to what B said, in my 6 weeks or so of travel in TN, and Karnataka, I never once smelled the sweet scent of bhang. I was in a lot of crowded places too.
    I still do not think that this means Cannabis does not have a place in Sanatana Dharma. There are many other places in India you can go and have Bhang or smoke from a chillum.

If slowing down mental activity is what is termed as higher consciousness, then, may I be bold enough to question why alcohol is bad, if it serves the same purpose. Some of the tantaric traditions stress the use of sex as a tool. During orgasm, all the blood drains out of your brains and one feels that thoughtless state which is considered the moment of bliss and connecting to gods. OMG, is that what spirituality is?
    With all due respect, these are very weak arguments. Why cant you just accept that there are differences. Much of your post wreaks of sectarianism of what you feel is 'true' Hinduism. Malas help us calm the mind, should we now break them and throw them away, because they are something "outside" or "material"?

Hinduism is a vast ocean with millions of unstructured/uncontrolled traditions, many of which are off-nominal and practiced by fringe groups. Why hang your spirituality hat on a fringe group's pole? If someone feels that weed gives them focus, why bring it to the Hindu forum? Why not discuss it in the canteen section rather than in the SD section? Why have these Babas as the cheerleaders? Above all, why associate Hindu divinity with this human need/desire. And if you must, why frown upon alcohol and sex used for one's sadhana?
    Why not discuss it on Hindudharmaforums? This forum is not ran by Nazis. It is a very nice forum to come to where many people can exchange their views. Why shut out our views? Shiva has much to do with Ganja. This is a well known fact. If you want to follow a tradition that does not accept Ganja, then by all means do so. But our tradition uses Ganja. If you want to think we are 'addicts' or have vile 'habits' then leave us to what you think of us. From my perspective I see you as being judgmental while we who smoke Ganja are accepting that you have your views, but we also have ours. We are not forcing our beliefs on anyone, we are simply clarifying our position, because we are being judged by others and considered to be basically 'western non-hindus' you just have been nice enough to disguise this phrase with your softer insults.
    Why have these Babas as the cheerleaders?
    You will insult a Sadhu it is no wonder that you would also insult us.
    I am sure many of my dharmic brothers see things differently. And that is fine. I just felt compelled to request everyone to not look down upon me, should I choose to use alcohol and sexual promiscuity as means to get to that elusive 'higher consciousness'. Don't try to take my crutches off the table, or be judgemental about them.
    Ganja has nothing to do with alcohol or sexual promiscuity. So I do not understand where you are going with this. No one is saying that one needs to have Ganja to attain enlightenment. Its a tool along with many others.

Close this thread. It is an insult to Mahadev to use him as as excuse for your vile habit. He is a divine paradox; the great celibate and fertile, the cosmic dancer and the meditator, the giver of boons and the great ascetic, the destroyer and the recreator. You lack control and seek only instant gratification. Your posts are so long winded. Who are you trying to convince? Many young people are finding their way to Hinduism, I would hate for them to be led astray this nonsense.
    Uncle Sam would be proud to see what he has done to the minds of westerners and non-western hindus. After all is this not what Uncle Sam wants?

To say that Ganja has no basis in Hinduism is absurd. India is the birthplace of Ganja.

Outside of Hinduism it is the same for me, because my ancestors smoked Ganja and I will continue to smoke Ganja. If someone doesn't like that I will simply put my hands together and offer them peace. So please do not make war on us for using Ganja.

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Mahabharata View Post
    Finally Arjuna was called. When he was ready to shoot and was standing with his bow drawn in a semicircle, Drona said, "Tell me what you see. Can you see myself, your brothers, and the tree?"

Arjuna replied, "I see only the bird. I cannot see you or my brothers, nor the tree."

Drona was pleased. He waited a moment and asked, ""If you see the bird, please describe it too me."

Arjuna responded, "I see only the birds head. I cannot see its body."

Drona's hair stood on end. He said, "Shoot!".
    Such is the power of true concentration that it may block out our sensory perceptions (inducing Pratyahara). If you haven't read this by the way, naturally he hits the wooden bird's eye, right on target.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

हरिः ओम्

Namaste All,

It is worth noting that Hemp is excellent for making rope, possessing one of natures strongest fibres, even if for no other reason;
    humans and our history are bound to this plant. It does have a reputation for triggering psychosis.

As well as obvious medical uses, for which it is prescribed in many countries.

What does this have to do with pursuing ones path, even if it makes you realised, one must sill actually get up and function in
    order to work. No one ever furthered any path by sitting around stoned all day, and I'm not so sure that it is really very good
    for upholding dharma.

I wonder if Parvarti would come looking for Siva if he if he is smoking refer all day long. If she did as to whether he would really
    notice her.

Yet, each to their own I say.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Namaste,

I understand where you are coming from Mana, but who is saying to sit around and be stoned all day? See all these negative views on Cannabis comes back to the same old excuses we were taught by the west to hate cannabis. We were told that you will be lazy etc.. As Joe Rogan says the people who are lazy are going to smoke cannabis and still be lazy. Its just the way it is. There are many people who have very respected jobs that smoke cannabis throughout the day. Just get to know people around you. It is not hard to find Cannabis smokers in America. Not all of them are lazy bums. Yes I have met some that smoked cannabis and do not have jobs, but that is their life. I smoke ganja and I go to school (I am about to graduate with a Bachelors degree in Alternative medicine), I also work as a supervisor at a company, I am a husband, and I train in ninjutsu. This is not laziness.

In one of the stories Parvati actually bring Shiva Cannabis. Smoking ganja doesnt have to be just sitting around being lazy. Do not let someones bad habits make you think that this is what ganja does to you.

Once again no one is saying one needs to consume Ganja to be enlightened.

Om Namah Shivaya

I won't waste anymore time here. No one is giving me a straight answer, must be the effect of those drugs.

I won't waste anymore time here. No one is giving me a straight answer, must be the effect of those drugs.

Please google Cannabis or Ganja. Read a book on it at your local bookstore. Go on youtube. Find some way of getting information on it, because it seems like you are confusing Ganja with some type of synthetic drug. This is very common for people who have no clue what Ganja really is. They just bark the same obscenities against it that Ronald Reagan did.

Om Namah Shivaya

A straight answer to which question? Oh, that's right. You didn't bother to ask any, just assumed you knew enough to condemn without question.

Namaste,

Thank you my dharmic brothers on the other side of the fence, for educating me, for enabling me to look at things from a different perspective, and above all for letting me know that I sound very judgemental and that this is the right place to discuss these complex issues.

This can had enough worms to make a fisherman happy for a whole fishing season.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Giza View Post
    Hello everyone, I was hoping some of you might share your experiences/opinions regarding drug use as it actually facilitates the practice of any type of yoga.

For example (an example many of you will probably agree on) I find that drinking coffee helps to increase my ability to concentrate during meditation. Every time I've experienced Dhyana - the second stage of meditation as defined by Patanjali - I had previously been drinking coffee. Additionally, though I don't know what chemicals it has in it, when I eat enough celery I find my third eye is stimulated, as well as muladhara chakra.
    I've never smoked weed while in meditation, but I know that is common both here in America and in India; can any of you who have tell me if indica or sativa is better?

Please share your experiences.
    Namaste Giza Ji,

These experiences may vary from person to person , and many in this forum might have never tried cannabis - that includes me. Hence lots of response may be from bookish knowledge of moral inclinations.

But I can comment on your coffee observation. For me , it had the opposite effect. I used to drink 6-8 cups of coffee everyday , but now I have limited to 1 cup , with an intention to cut it down in a year. Coffee being a stimulant , i found that it was difficult to calm the mind when I was primed with caffeine.

Apparently you had the opposite effect. Cannabis might have similar opposing effects on people.

Thread Information