Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Buddhism theistic or atheistic?

Re: Is Buddhism theistic or atheistic?

Greetings,

The word "atheism" is so embedded within Western assumptions of theism, that it doesn't help to apply it to Buddhism.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Re: Is Buddhism theistic or atheistic?

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Namaste Laxmi ,
    Informative post
    The buddhist classification of kaya or‘bodies’ appear to be analogous with the hindu scriptural classification of our physical and metaphysical bodies that are associated with each one of us.
    Consider the below given pancha (five) koshas (bodies) typically described by hindus:
    According to Hindu dharma, we have 5 bodies called kosha-s, पञ्च कोश (five sheaths) :

अन्नमय कोश (physical body, anatomical structure), Anna maya kosha

प्राणमय कोश (physiological body, energy body, aura) , Prana maya kosha

मनोमय (mental sheath), manomaya kosha
    विज्ञानमय कोश (intellectual sheath), vijnana maya kosha
    आनन्दमय कोश (bliss sheath). Ananda maya kosha.

Buddhism, right from its inception, and spreading over many centuries later borrowed heavily from Hinduism, in fact the faith borrowed their founder himself from an hindu family. My tone may sound accusatory, which it is not, instead it only stems from academic curiosity on my part. Some of the experts in both the above faiths must bring out the similarities for the benefit of the readers. Dissimilarities also must be highlighted at the same time. All Dharmic faiths have some common doctrines that bind them to Hinduism inseparably. That's my perception at least.
    Yes I agree, Buddhism took a lot from Hinduism as it developed. This is especially true in Tantric Buddhism as well as the worship of Avalokiteshvara and the development of Yogacara philosophy. The dissimilarities are much smaller than then the similarities imho. Although I am biased coming from the Hindu side of things

Aum Hari Aum!

Thread Information