Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Dharmic Wisdom Quotes

Re: Dharmic Wisdom Quotes

Śrī Īśopaniṣad 15
    hiraṇmayena pātreṇa
    satyasyāpihitaḿ mukham
    tat tvaḿ pūṣann apāvṛṇu
    satya-dharmāya dṛṣṭaye
    O my Lord, sustainer of all that lives, Your real face is covered by Your dazzling effulgence (like that of the Sun). Kindly remove that covering and exhibit Yourself to Your pure devotee.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I've been reading Srimad Bhagavatam by Sri Venkatesananda. I'm presently on Book 4 Chapter 3, where the story of Sati going to Daksha's yagna without invite and facing humiliation there is described. When Sati originally asks Lord Shiva for permission to attend her father Daksha's uninvited yagna, Shiva smiles at her ignorance and utters the following words:

"Knowledge, penance, wealth, physical appearence, age and ancestry enhance the nobility of the noble, but aggravate the wickedness of the wicked. Hence it is unwise to resort to the company of the wicked even if they appear to possess these virtues..."

True to Lord Shiva's guidance provided here, we do see many virtuous traits and intelligence being shown by those otherwise of arrogant disposition.

Inspite of being virtues or results of pious and meritorious deeds, many times in the world as noted from our observations, people of mean disposition exhibit such virtues externally... it is all god's maya and leela in him having accorded these to the undeserving, for as Lord Shiva truly uttered, they do aggravate their ego and make them act out of their wickedness.

How true are lord's words that we should avoid them?

I enjoyed this paragraph and saying.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

The story of shiva and satI is one of my favorite from the bhAgavatam. I liked how Lord shiva exuded calmness even when he is being insulted by daksha, and how he quietly withdrew when all the cursing and counter-cursing was going on. This in my mind is how a yogi should act.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    The story of shiva and satI is one of my favorite from the bhAgavatam. I liked how Lord shiva exuded calmness even when he is being insulted by daksha, and how he quietly withdrew when all the cursing and counter-cursing was going on. This in my mind is how a yogi should act.
    Someone posting on my FB wall recently read 'How others treat you is THEIR karma, but how you react is YOUR karma'! True words! Lord Shiva exemplifies the perfect yogi, in the DEvon Ki Dev serial, they make Mahadeva act very human upon Sati's death, that he goes into a temporary state of madness owing to extreme grief, however, Bhagavatam says he was so tranquil in his meditative posture at Kailas after Sati's death, when Brahma and other devas approach him! He knows no pleasure or suffering or misery or animosity, for he has conquered the senses! A perfect Yogi!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

"My dear Nārada, I do not dwell in Vaikuṇṭha or in the hearts of the yogī, but wherever My devotees sing My glories" (Padma Purāṇa)

"I am not happy in Vaikuntha. I am not happy in Goloka. I am not happy by Sri Radha's side. I am happy in the company of My devotees. Wherever My devotees stay, there I stay day and night." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)

"Wherever there is Kṛṣṇa, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be opulence, victory, extraordinary power, and morality. That is my opinion." (Bhagavad-gītā 18.78)

"Where the topics of Lord Krsna are present there also are all the demigods, sages, philosophers, saints and holy places of pilgrimage.

By hearing the topics of Lord Hari the hearers become great saints free of all distress. They who hear the beautiful and auspicious topics of Lord Hari become holy places of pilgrimage.

Speaking the glories of Lord Hari, and delivering hundreds and hundreds of listeners, they purify the entire world.

Simply by asking his question, the inquirer purifies his family. Simply by hearing the hearer, purifies his family and all his relatives.

Pure as if he had performed austerities for hundreds of births, he is born in Bharata-varsa. Hearing the nectar of topics about Lord Hari, his life is a success." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)
    Last edited by brahma jijnasa; 13 October 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Nunam pramattah kurute vikarma

When a person makesvikarma, material enjoyment, the aim of life, he becomes mad, or insane. (Srimad Bhagavatam 5.5.4)

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information