Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Dharmic Wisdom Quotes

Re: Dharmic Wisdom Quotes

Chapter Three
    Shri Mahaprabhu-sarvabhaumoddharah Shad-bhuja-pradarsanam Gauda-vijayas ca

If the Lord does not reveal His true identity, who has the power to know it?

"The Vedas say that one should touch the dust of a saintly person's feet. But a proud sannyasi will not humbly bow down before anyone.

"Pride is never good. Please know that Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.19.16) declares

pranamed dandavad bhumav
    asva-candala-go-kharam
    pravishto jiva-kalaya
    Tatraiva bhagavan iti

"Aware that the Supreme Personality of Godhead resides alongside the soul in every body, one should offer dandavat obeisances to every living being, even to dogs, cows, mules, and outcastes."

"The religious duty of a Vaishnava is to offer respectful obeisances to everyone. But that is something the hypocrites, who proudly wrap themselves with the flag of religion, do not like."
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

pranam all

Although not a quote as such but a bhajan, yet full of wisdom.

II
    Vaishnav Jan to tene II

वैष्णव जन तो

वैष्णव जन तो तेने कहिये जे
    पीड़ परायी जाणे रे

पर दुख्खे उपकार करे तोये
    मन अभिमान ना आणे रे
    वैष्णव जन तो तेने कहिये जे ...

सकळ लोक मान सहुने वंदे
    नींदा न करे केनी रे
    वाच काछ मन निश्चळ राखे
    धन धन जननी तेनी रे

सम दृष्टी ने तृष्णा त्यागी
    पर स्त्री जेने मात रे
    जिह्वा थकी असत्य ना बोले
    पर धन नव झाली हाथ रे

मोह माया व्यापे नही जेने
    द्रिढ़ वैराग्य जेना मन मान रे
    राम नाम सुन ताळी लागी
    सकळ तिरथ तेना तन मान रे

वण लोभी ने कपट- रहित छे
    काम क्रोध निवार्या रे
    भणे नरसैय्यो तेनुन दर्शन कर्ता
    कुळ एकोतेर तारया रे
    Vaishnav Jan to tene kahiye
    Jay peerh paraaye janneyray
    Par dukkhey upkar karey teeyey, man abhiman na anney ray
    Sakal lokma Sahuney bandhey,
    Ninda Na karye kainee ray
    Baach kaachh, Man nischal Raakhey, dhan-dhan jananee tainee ray
    Samdrishi nay trishna tyagee, par-stree jaynay mat ray
    Vivihva thaki asatya na bolay, par-dhan nav jhaley haath ray
    Moh maaya vyaayey nahin Jeynay, dridth vairagya jana manma ray
    Ram-nam-shoom taalee laagee,
    Sakal teerth seyna tanma ray
    Vanloohee nay kapat rahit chhay,
    Kaam, Krodh nivarya ray
    Bhane Narsinhyo tainoo darshan karta kul ekotair taarya re.

English:

Speak only as godlike of the man who feels another's pain
    Who shares another's sorrow and pride does disdain
    Who regards himself lowliest of the low
    Speaks not a word of evil against anyone
    Blessed is the mother who gave birth to such a son
    Who looks upon everyone as his equal,
    Lust he has renounced
    Who honors women like he honors his mother
    Whose tongue knows not the taste of falsehood
    Nor covets another's worldly goods
    Who longs not for worldly wealth (or fame)
    For he treads the path of renunciation
    Ever on his lips is Ram's holy name
    All places of pilgrimage are within him
    He has conquered greed, is free of deceit, lust and anger
    Through him Narsinh has godly vision
    And his generation to come will attain salvation

1. Vaishnav jan to tene kahiye, je peeD paraaee jaNe re ... [He is the true Vaishnava who knows and feels another's woes as his own]
    Par dukkhe upkar kare toye, man abhiman na aaNe re ... [Ever ready to serve, he never lets vanity get to his head]
    2. SakaL lok maan sahune vande, nindaa ne kare keni re ... [Bowing to everyone humbly and criticising none]
    Vaach-kaacch-man nischaL raakhe, dhan-dhan janani teni re .. [He keeps his speech, deeds and thoughts pure; blessed is the mother who begets such a one]
    3. Sam-drushti ne trishNaa tyaagi, parastree jhene maat re ... [He looks upon all with an equal eye. Having rid himself of lust, he treats and reveres every woman as his mother]
    Jivhaa thake, asatya na bole, par-dhan nava jhaale haath re ... [His tongue would fail him if he attempted to utter an untruth. He does not covet another's wealth]
    4. Moh-maayaa vyaape nahin jhene, draDh vairagi jhena manmaa re ... [The bonds of earthly attachment hold him not. His mind is deeply rooted in renunciation]
    Raam-naam shu taaLire laagi, sakaL teerath tena tanmaa re ... [Every moment he is intent on reciting the name of the Lord Rama. All the holy places are ever present in his body]
    5. VaNa lobhi ne kapat rahit chhe, kaam krodh nivaarya re ... [He has conquered greed, deceit, passion (lust) and anger]
    BhaNe Narsaiyyon teno darshan kartaun, kuL ekoter tarya re ... [The sight of such a Vaishnava, says Narsinh, saves a family through seventy-one generations]

Jai Shree Krishna

Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Like wild winds, the draughts I've drunk
    have lifted me: have I not drunk Soma?

The sky and earth are not equal even
    to one half of me: have I not drunk Soma?

In my glory I eclipse all of heaven
    and of earth: have I not drunk Soma?

Aha! this wide earth I'll lift and put there,
    or maybe here: have I not drunk Soma?

- Rg Veda X.119

Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.

With the dust of the Guru’s lotus feet
    do I cleanse the mirror of my mind.
    And narrate the holy exploits of Raghuvir,
    the bestower of life’s four aims.
    Knowing myself to be deficient in intelligence,
    do I concentrate on Pavan Kumar.
    Lord, give me strength, wisdom and knowledge,
    and remove all my blemishes.

~ Invocation verse of the Hanuman Chalisa

One day the Master in an ecstatic mood said to the devotees: "There are many opinions and many ways. I have seen them all and do not like them anymore. The devotees of different faiths quarrel among themselves. Let me tell you something. You are my own people. There are no strangers around here. I clearly see that God is the whole and I am a part of Him. He is the Lord and I am His servant. And sometimes I think that He is I and I am He."

- Sri Ramakrishna

Just as the one, single Sun in the sky gets its many reflections in various vessels of water, so Thou, O Lord, art (variously) reflected in different minds.

~ Siva Gita VII:34

Jaya Radha-Madhava

(from Gitavali,by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

Translated by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

(jaya) radha-madhava (jaya) kunja-vihari (jaya) gopi-jana-vallabha (jaya) giri-vara-dhari (jaya) jasoda-nandana (jaya) braja-jana-ranjana (jaya) jamuna-tira-vana-cari

Krsna is the lover of Radha. He displays many amorous pastimes in the groves of Vrndavana, He is the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the holder of the great hill named Govardhana, the beloved son of mother Yasoda, the delighter of the inhabitants of Vraja, and he wanders in the forests along the banks of the River Yamuna.

It is the one Reality which appears to our ignorance as a manifold universe of names and forms and changes. Like the gold of which many ornaments are made, it remains in itself unchanged. Such is Brahman and That art Thou.

- Adi Shankara

Him who is without beginning and without end, in the midst of confusion, the Creator of all, of manifold form, the One embracer of the universe--by knowing God, one is released from all fetters.
    Yajur Veda

(19) The Supreme Personality said: 'Yes, I will surely tell you about the divine of My personal splendor the principal, o best of the Kurus, as there is no limit to My extent. (20) I am, o Arjuna, the soul in the heart of all living beings; I am the origin also, the middle and as well indeed the end of all existing.

Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 10, 19-20)
    Last edited by Kaos; 24 July 2007 at 02:41 PM.

Thread Information