Thread: Right Side/Left Side

Right Side/Left Side

Hari Om!

Am interested in which side is best for sleep. Have always read that one should sleep on the left side for best health, but read today in a blog on www.speakingtree.in that one who is depressed should sleep on the right side. Why is this so? So, which is the correct side for a healthy person to sleep on? How about one with ill health - do certain conditions require sleeping in different positions as is the case as I have read with depression? Confusing!

Thanks for your input and clarification.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Re: Right Side/Left Side

Vannakkam: Sorry to hear that you're not sleeping well. In both my readings, and from experience, neither side is better. A combination of both is best. A pillow placed between the knees also helps with back or joint stiffness.

Best wishes,

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

EM - thanks for the reply. Me? Not sleep? Must have the wrong person but thanks for the wishes. I almost never have issues here. Just want what's best spiritually and physically is all.

Digging a little deeper, the right side is associated with the lunar channel (ida nadi) while the left is associated with sun. Maybe this tidbit of information clarifies what I'm looking for in terms of the query.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Am interested in which side is best for sleep. Have always read that one should sleep on the left side for best health, but read today in a blog on www.speakingtree.in that one who is depressed should sleep on the right side. Why is this so? So, which is the correct side for a healthy person to sleep on? How about one with ill health - do certain conditions require sleeping in different positions as is the case as I have read with depression? Confusing!

Thanks for your input and clarification.

Jai Jai Hanuman!
    It makes sense to me that when you sleep on the left side your heart has to work harder pumping blood, but who knows what other factors come into play? Any doctors out there?
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

हरिः ओम्

Namaste c.smith All,

Pranayama, is a very delicate balance; as is indicated by its very name ...

During the day we oscillate between outwards and inwards energy or force. Our left nostril is dominant whilst in a more subjective
    reflective state and the right nostril when we are more energised and outward bound; objective.
    This osculation is regulated by the same subconscious mind as ones heart rate and breathing which are to all intents and purpose
    directly proportional, as is our need for oxygen to maintain agni.

Just like a fire if we pump in air; we see an immediate result, the balance is essentially the same.

It is an interesting exercise to meditate upon the state of our nasal functioning during the day, to reflect upon our mood acts and
    energy in accordance, to become aware of our more subtle rhythms.

I have heard that sleeping on the right side is good for Yoga an calming where as sleeping on the left side is good for energising and
    stimulating Rajas. Of course we have little control over this at the time, once asleep the subconscious takes full initiative; yet this
    initiative is a direct reflection of the course and path of our lives, during our waking hours.

The left lung has a slightly lower volume than the right as it envelopes the heart, It is worth also reflecting upon the breathing as to
    upper or lower portion of the lungs, this is also very important.

So I should like to speculate, that the side upon which we sleep is regulated as a reflection of our daily comportment; reiterating the
    importance of adherence to the 8 limbs of patanjali's yoga sutras.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

EM - thanks for the reply. Me? Not sleep? Must have the wrong person but thanks for the wishes. I almost never have issues here. Just want what's best spiritually and physically is all.

Digging a little deeper, the right side is associated with the lunar channel (ida nadi) while the left is associated with sun. Maybe this tidbit of information clarifies what I'm looking for in terms of the query.

Jai Jai Hanuman!
    After eating or when one is cold one should sleep on the left (i.e right nostril on top). So often in cold climates and during night this position might be helpful and the opposite can be done in opposite situations.

I personally find turning left (breathing through pingala/right nostril) troubling since my body anyways produce excess heat (or so it seems).

Thread Information