Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: German court rules circumcision is bodily harm

Re: German court rules circumcision is bodily harm

Vannakkam: I was going to ask our Indian friends here what the history and current situation was in India, out of curiousity, but I found this .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gl...ntry_Level.png so it basically says India is as far ahead as anyone. Canada, you are behind. The map pretty much corresponds to a map of Islamic countries.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

Is this map per a survey or per actual visual examination?
    No one came to me for a physical examination before classifying me.
    Just curious.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste EM,

Is this map per a survey or per actual visual examination?
    No one came to me for a physical examination before classifying me.
    Just curious.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: Since I never thought about it much recently until today ... here's another map. http://www.circumstitions.com/Maps.html The USA ain't doin' that well either. On a personal note, I made the mistake with the first son. He hollered and screamed so much that my second son didn't have to go through the ordeal. Sometimes it's live and learn ... unfortunately for my first son.

Aum Namasivaya

Namasté,

I lack the equipment but, after ten years working on the clerical and laboratory side of medicine, I know more about it than I ever wanted.

Circumcision does have 'health reasons,' but those reasons are largely created by modern life:
    -Timid and/or ignorant parents don't instruct boys in proper care of their genitals.
    -The hectic pace of life means that some teens and men barely have time for a daily shower! much less any other self-care.
    -For years, the primary treatment for phimosis has been circumcision, so some men who develop the condition won't see the doctor, for fear of needing surgery - thus putting it off until surgery's the only option. (Heck, both genders are less likely to visit a doctor when the problem is sensitive and/or embarrassing.)

I believe it's a barbaric Abrahamic anachronism, and a medically unnecessary surgical procedure - which both Eastern and Western medicine will tell you is a bad idea - and I object to the practice for two other reasons.

-The surgeon who explains the procedure to new, overwhelmed parents, is the same one who will be paid more if the procedure is done. It's in the doctor's own best interest to present circumcision as simple, painless, convenient, and hygienic. This is a bit like listening to your car salesman about fancy features on a new vehicle; it also strikes me as borderline unethical.
    -Circumcision is the only surgical procedure I can think of, which is performed on a healthy baby to prevent later problems. I'll support it, as soon as Western hospitals institute a package deal of pre-hospital-discharge neonatal appendectomies, splenectomies, and tonsillectomies. Those organs can cause issues years down the line, too, so why not handle all of the messy possibilities in one go?

Bravo, Germany. Adult men may make this choice if they wish, but an infant cannot decide for or against it.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

It is never a good idea to allow state to criminalize religious practices , as long as the practices aren't life threatening.

Several Indian parents pierce the ears of their female child when they are quiet young. How is that different from this? By degree of pain?

A little while ago, Norway criminalized an Indian couples way of child rearing , which was quiet a normal practice in India.

Admin Note

Namaskar,
    After reflection, I realised that it was inappropriate for me as an admin to make those two posts since my tone wasn't right so I deleted them.

FYI in case you are wondering what happened to my posts.

Please carry on.
    satay

I can see where it is going, it is leading to a ban on circumcisions of non muslim and non jewish neonates basically. Eventually the objecting 2 faiths will win the court battle, but then the millions of other boys, say the christians in Germany and more importantly in USA are spared of this unnecessary surgical procedure. In the west hygiene is taught in schools; it is blown out of proportion in uncircumcised boys/men, also, cancer is NOT common in Hindus anymore than the above mentioned two faiths.

Thread Information