Thread: Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan?

Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan?

Namaste,

I was browsing YouTube today and I come across the above and all episodes appear to be on there. Here's episode 1:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQi0...e_gdata_player

What is the general consensus on this - have people on these boards seen this and comment on it?

Is it faithful to the Ramayana?

Pranams.

Re: Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan?

Namaste

Faithful enough to empty the streets of India.

I've not seen it, but my general experience with most Pauranic movies and TV serials these days is that they are not particularly faithful to their respective texts. They often manufacture dialogs that don't resemble anything said in the text, dumb down the philosophy, and omit discussions of anything that might be "controversial" to "modern" audiences.

Probably the best version of the Ramayana I have seen to date is an animated version done by a Japanese studio. I don't remember the name of it, but I recall that it was freely available 10 years ago and later realized that most of those were pirated copies. Still, that version completely omits Sita's Agni-Pariksha and also does not address Raama's killing of Vaali. It barely alludes to Raama's Godhood and in my opinion, fails to properly depict Siitaa's integrity during her captivity. Some good philosophy is mentioned in different places, such as the enmity towards a person being based on bodily identification, however there is nothing resembling devotion or sharanAgati and so it felt a bit stale compared to reading Vaalmiiki's Raamaayana.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I've not seen it, but my general experience with most Pauranic movies and TV serials these days is that they are not particularly faithful to their respective texts. They often manufacture dialogs that don't resemble anything said in the text, dumb down the philosophy, and omit discussions of anything that might be "controversial" to "modern" audiences.

Probably the best version of the Ramayana I have seen to date is an animated version done by a Japanese studio. I don't remember the name of it, but I recall that it was freely available 10 years ago and later realized that most of those were pirated copies. Still, that version completely omits Sita's Agni-Pariksha and also does not address Raama's killing of Vaali. It barely alludes to Raama's Godhood and in my opinion, fails to properly depict Siitaa's integrity during her captivity. Some good philosophy is mentioned in different places, such as the enmity towards a person being based on bodily identification, however there is nothing resembling devotion or sharanAgati and so it felt a bit stale compared to reading Vaalmiiki's Raamaayana.
    Namaste,

Ah, it could be this video I've found:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyETr...e_gdata_player

Pranams.

in a general sense , yes it is acceptable and will meet the standards for a casual viwer, so please go ahead. Worth watching, recommend it (but then for academic purposes one needs to read the itihasa). Not familiar with the second series.Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post

in a general sense , yes it is acceptable and will meet the standards for a casual viwer, so please go ahead. Worth watching, recommend it (but then for academic purposes one needs to read the itihasa). Not familiar with the second series.Namaste.
    Namaste,

It wouldn't let me watch that video - what was it as a matter of interest?

Pranams.

Go ahead try againand double click on the very same link you have provided in post #1, the link posted by you at the top of this thread opened for me just now, the same link posted by others didn’t. Strange, appears it lost its shakti with copy and paste!! Use search words- ‘ramayan episode 1, ramanandsagar’and promptly a list of links to manyepisodes shows up. Half way thru the episode 1 the screen goes blank for a few seconds, after that lull it restarts again on its own. One can drag it forward. please copy paste in the youtube search box: ramanandsagar, ramayan, episode 1, englishsubtitles.
    or double click this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9FI...eature=related

( Please note, there are some other language ramayans like Haryanvi etc, and they don’t have English subtitles.Only original hindi ramayan has the subtitles.). The animated Ramayan you posted (second link) is not that good, it is just action packed version and way too truncated to get the depth and meaning of the itihasa. Also, on a sidenote, Mahabharata, if available in similar elaborate form, would make a thrilling watch.
    [quote=mradam83;87036]Namaste,

Pranams.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    Namaste

Faithful enough to empty the streets of India.
    exactly
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Go ahead try againand double click on the very same link you have provided in post #1, the link posted by you at the top of this thread opened for me just now, the same link posted by others didn’t. Strange, appears it lost its shakti with copy and paste!! Use search words- ‘ramayan episode 1, ramanandsagar’and promptly a list of links to manyepisodes shows up. Half way thru the episode 1 the screen goes blank for a few seconds, after that lull it restarts again on its own. One can drag it forward. please copy paste in the youtube search box: ramanandsagar, ramayan, episode 1, englishsubtitles.
    or double click this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9FI...eature=related

( Please note, there are some other language ramayans like Haryanvi etc, and they don’t have English subtitles.Only original hindi ramayan has the subtitles.). The animated Ramayan you posted (second link) is not that good, it is just action packed version and way too truncated to get the depth and meaning of the itihasa. Also, on a sidenote, Mahabharata, if available in similar elaborate form, would make a thrilling watch.
    [quote=mradam83;87036]Namaste,

Pranams.
    [/QUOTE]

Namaste,

Ah yes, it worked that time!

Panams.

Thread Information