Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Questions :)

Re: A few Questions :)

Thank you all for your awnsers
    I have more questions:

What is the significance of Lord Ganesha's red forms?
    If one sees a red Ganesha through ajna chakra, is it likely to be of very special significance that he's red? (Or is he just popping in to say hello?)
    In any of his red forms, does he have green or partly green garments? Which one(s)?
    Why is Ganesha associated with mantras, and the pranava in particular?
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

What is the significance of Lord Ganesha's red forms?
    If one sees a red Ganesha through ajna chakra, is it likely to be of very special significance that he's red? (Or is he just popping in to say hello?)
    In any of his red forms, does he have green or partly green garments? Which one(s)?
    Why is Ganesha associated with mantras, and the pranava in particular?
    Namaste

In the esoteric subtle body systems, Ganesh (or, alternately, Brahma) is associated with the Muladhara. Here, they are red (but the tattva, the chakra, is yellow!). Ganesha's authorization is sought to begin the upward journey.

Red is oft associated with rajoguna, and rajoguna sets into motion, churns if you will, beginnings; creation. Ganesha is Lord of Beginnings.

I know of no particular connection between Ganesha and the ajna chakra.

I don't know about green garments either.

Ganesha, as Lord of Beginnings, is very commonly the first thing that children learn to write - along with Shri and Aum (the pranava).

Moreover, Ganesha is considered the highest Rishi, and it is the Rishis who clothe divinity in form and mantra. Thus, Ganesha can be said to be the source of mantra.

"Loving Ganesha" you will probably find very useful, it's online at the Himalayan Academy.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    I know of no particular connection between Ganesha and the ajna chakra.

I don't know about green garments either.

Moreover, Ganesha is considered the highest Rishi, and it is the Rishis who clothe divinity in form and mantra. Thus, Ganesha can be said to be the source of mantra.

"Loving Ganesha" you will probably find very useful, it's online at the Himalayan Academy.

Namaste
    Namaste and thank you,
    I didn't mean to imply that Ganesha traditionally has any specific connection with the ajna chakra, but rather that I saw Lord Ganesha clairvoyantly in the chidakasha (the region just in front of the closed eyes, which we are taught to project images onto during the practice of inner trataka). This happened shortly before I joined this forum, during my meditation practice on my ajna chakra (he was bright red and adorned with green garments and other colors). I very rarely get clairvoyant impressions like that, and he was very vividly colored, very beautiful. Since then, I've received the book "Loving Ganesha" in the mail (I went on a Hindu book shopping spree ) and have started on it.

Because I started practicing yoga in jail, I had very little access to the religious aspect of Hinduism, and I still don't know much about it, having only recently gotten out. I'm only just beginning to learn about forms of worship such as puja and bhakti. On the other hand, I've been doing chakra meditation for a few years. It was hard to get good books, but the ones I did get I studied carefully, and always with practice in mind.

That reminds me of a question I forgot to ask. I've read that it isn't possible to establish a relationship with certain gods (like Murugan/Kartikeya or Shiva), until you've worshiped Lord Ganesha first. Can meditation on the Muladhara chakra be worship of Ganesha? I've been to dhyana - the second stage of meditation as defined by Patanjali - while focusing on that chakra multiple times. Was I worshiping Ganesha without knowing it? I ask because, before I ever saw Lord Ganesha, I saw Lord Shiva. (That is why I got into Shaivism.)
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Vannakkam Giza: You are asking deep questions probably more fit for a Guru.

Most people, for example will rarely speak of their own clairvoyant experiences, preferring that to be between them and Guru.

Ours (Saivas) is a very individualized path. There are a few general conditions or idea common to all, but ultimately we walk it alone, with the help of a Guru, if possible. One person may be at the level of the muladhara, or below even, another may be bouncing up and down the chakras, yet others won't know of chakras at all, or believe in them. Because of this individuality on the path, a teacher who can see that individuality is best, because He can teach you, and you alone, give you instructions or sadhanas pertaining to just you, and nobody else.

That is why we have to be careful when extracting teachings that are recorded conversations between a Guru and a devotee. Perhaps the teacher was teaching just that devotee, and the words weren't really meant for anyone else.

It is the same with all teachers, even with ones like me, whose duty it was to teach the basic education to 11 and 12 year olds. Each kid was individual, had individual needs, etc. The best form of teaching is tutorial.

I would encourage you to write a lot of this down in a detailed way, then send it off to the monks at Himalayan Academy or some other qualified teachers of your choice, who should be able to answer, or at least provide you with some further thoughts.

Lots of people do encounter Siva or Murugan before Ganesha. My first encounter of the 3 in any formal way was Siva. If you are blessed to be born in Mauritius, Malaysia, or a Murugan temple town like Tiruchendur or Palani, chances a re very high that your first encounter will be with Murugan.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Giza: You are asking deep questions probably more fit for a Guru.

Most people, for example will rarely speak of their own clairvoyant experiences, preferring that to be between them and Guru.
    You're right, of course. I'm trying to substitute HDF for a guru, although naturally that isn't it's purpose. Nevertheless, there are some very wise individuals here, and I am learning much.

When I read about people who make claim to psychic experiences, my first inclination is to be skeptical. But if those claims are raised in connection with Yoga or Tantra, I'm far less inclined to say that they're lying. I have found this Hindu path to be incredibly powerful and profound, so I tend to wonder why more people don't speak up about their experiences. I know I'm not the only one having them who doesn't have the benefit of contact with a guru.

I would encourage you to write a lot of this down in a detailed way, then send it off to the monks at Himalayan Academy or some other qualified teachers of your choice, who should be able to answer, or at least provide you with some further thoughts.

Lots of people do encounter Siva or Murugan before Ganesha. My first encounter of the 3 in any formal way was Siva. If you are blessed to be born in Mauritius, Malaysia, or a Murugan temple town like Tiruchendur or Palani, chances a re very high that your first encounter will be with Murugan.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thank you for your advice. I may well do that, although I'm still a little heart broken about the Himalayan Academy. I contacted them about becoming a monk, but because I'm on parole until I'm 25 and can't legally leave the state until then, they won't take me... Thank you for your patience with me, and I hope you will forgive me if I have been discourteous. As a westerner and a Caucasian, living in California, a lot of the Indian culture and its customs are totally foreign to me. I've only just learned what Namaste means.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Namaste

That reminds me of a question I forgot to ask. I've read that it isn't possible to establish a relationship with certain gods (like Murugan/Kartikeya or Shiva), until you've worshiped Lord Ganesha first.
    It's not impossible, but propitiating Ganesha paves the way smooth.

Can meditation on the Muladhara chakra be worship of Ganesha?
    I can't think of a higher worship.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    I can't think of a higher worship.
    HEYYY I DID SOMETHING RIGHT!!
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Here's another one: when doing puja, are you supposed to chant the names of the steps before you do them? The Himalayan Academy has a step by step recording the chants of a Genesha puja here: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audi.../ganesha_puja/ and they are chanting the names of the steps (such as Aachamaman, Vighneshvara Praarthanaa, etc). I'm confused as to whether that's the proper way to do an actual puja or if they're doing it so the learner can know the name of the step. Would someone kindly tell me? I don't want to learn this incorrectly!
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Vannakam Giza: No, you do not chant the titles or names of the steps. That would be like saying the days of the week by starting with "Days of the week". It takes quite a bit of time to learn, and the actions are supposed to done simultaneously. Best wishes learning that puja.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakam Giza: No, you do not chant the titles or names of the steps. That would be like saying the days of the week by starting with "Days of the week". It takes quite a bit of time to learn, and the actions are supposed to done simultaneously. Best wishes learning that puja.

Aum Namasivaya
    I had a feeling it wasn't right, but I know I have a lot to learn. If it was that way, I'd just go with it. The important part is paying respects to Lord Ganesha, in whatever form he likes. Thank you profoundly for all your help EM.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

~Om Namah Shivay~

Thread Information