Thread: The shatkarmas

The shatkarmas

Namaste all,
    I had hoped we could discuss practice of the shatkarmas (six acts of bodily purification) delineated in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. In my limited experience these practices seem very potent for the cleansing of ones system. I regularly practice sutra neti as I find it has an unsurpassed balancing effect on my ida and pingala nadis, allowing sushummna to remain open for long periods of time and facilitating my meditation practice. But some of these can be dangerous if not done properly. For example, my reckless enthusiasm for learning Vastra Dhauti (the swallowing and retracting of a long and narrow cloth, in order to remove "gunk" from ones alimentary canal) nearly resulted in my choking to death.
    Keeping in mind the dangers of improper practice, can anyone offer either any tips/tricks they use in order to execute these procedures safely, or the benefits they have noticed from practicing one of these procedures?
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Re: The shatkarmas

It's going to take me a little while to post much more in this thread in order to try to stimulate a discussion. I'm taking summer classes and they're keeping me busy! So, for now:
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Thread Information