Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Islam is impossible

1. Unhappy Islam is impossible

Namaste,

I am a Muslim (Shia Ithna-Asheri Usuli), but I am seriously about done with it. I have so many issues with it, I don't even know where to start.

There are SO many freaking rules. Now, don't get me wrong, if it truly is God's religion, I would follow them willingly, but I find it hard to believe that God is this picky. For example, you're required to pray 5 times a day and fast the month of Ramadhan. I figured that if you didn't, but started up at some point, you would simply go from being a bad Muslim to being a good Muslim. Apparently not. Prayers and fasts are like some sort of bank account where it's all or nothing. I talked to a scholar, and found out that for me to get into good standing with Allah, I would have to make up 4,745 prayers, 60 fasts, and pay $1,700 worth of rice to the needy.

Holy sh*t.

I can't do that. This is only for two years of living a bad life. Can you imagine for someone that has gone for 20 years?! I'm willing to pay for my "sins" by being punished for them, because I recognize that every action has consequences, but this is borderline ridiculous.

That's another thing. Why is Heaven/Hell an absolute? What happens to good people that weren't Muslims? What about Muslims that fulfill all their requirements but are bad people in general? I really like the concept of eternal bliss in Jannah (heaven), but why is it an absolute? Why is it all or nothing?

There are MANY other issues I have with Islam, too many to name. I still feel a deep connection to Islam and the Imams (especially Imam Ali and Imam Mahdi), but living like a good Muslim is impossible unless you live in Iran or something, where it's the social norm to do everything perfectly according to Islamic law.

Re: Islam is impossible

Hello !

I know it's sad or hard for you, but I found you very wise. Not because "you stop being a muslim 'cause Islam is baaaad", but wise because you are strong willed and clever enough to ask you the right questions.

In my view, God a peaceful and loving being. When something bad happen in my life, of if I have difficulties, I think this is God sending me a message. There always is a lesson to learn, a difficulty to overcome that makes us stronger, but not anger or cruelty. Then, knowing that, you naturally come to God not only in your moments of needs and doubt, but also in you moments of hapiness. You can choose to worship according stricltly to the rituals...Or you can choose to worship in your heart also, meditating on God every time in the day without even noticing it. Seeing a leaf dancing peacefully on a tree, on a sunny day, I think of Mahadev. That's as simple...But as beautiful. God created all here...Why would he discriminate people by their race, color, religion, if everything is a part of him, why would he punish some and not others ?

Sometimes we ask ourselves questions that make us doubt. If you are not comfortable being a muslim, then maybe you could afford a little break, seeking over other paths ? Maybe you need a "less strict" Islam, I don't really know much about Islam, but maybe there are others "schools" ?

You know I was born christian, but never felt at ease in christianity. I have wondered a long and painful path, looking for something...Then shifting to Sanatana Dharma was so natural, it was a relief. It takes time and time to learn and understand, I'm still an ignorant. Maybe you need a path less harsh.

What is important is to live the life that have been given to you. If you feel your religion restricting and censoring your life, and if you feel very uneasy with this, you maybe need to think and look around. But don't be too harsh with yourself, don't be too impatient too. And more importantly, leave peace. Maybe you don't quite understand why Islam is this or that, maybe you find those concepts not suited for you and unfair, but don't leave any hate in your mind about this...Hate does not bring us closer to any God, it's for sure.

I really hope the best for you...Cheers ! You're not alone after all, I'm sure you have friends to talk about, and you have this place if you need to talk too ! So don't give up~

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by Mu'mineen View Post
    Namaste,

I am a Muslim (Shia Ithna-Asheri Usuli), but I am seriously about done with it. I have so many issues with it, I don't even know where to start.

There are SO many freaking rules. Now, don't get me wrong, if it truly is God's religion, I would follow them willingly, but I find it hard to believe that God is this picky. For example, you're required to pray 5 times a day and fast the month of Ramadhan. I figured that if you didn't, but started up at some point, you would simply go from being a bad Muslim to being a good Muslim. Apparently not. Prayers and fasts are like some sort of bank account where it's all or nothing. I talked to a scholar, and found out that for me to get into good standing with Allah, I would have to make up 4,745 prayers, 60 fasts, and pay $1,700 worth of rice to the needy.

Holy sh*t.

I can't do that. This is only for two years of living a bad life. Can you imagine for someone that has gone for 20 years?! I'm willing to pay for my "sins" by being punished for them, because I recognize that every action has consequences, but this is borderline ridiculous.

That's another thing. Why is Heaven/Hell an absolute? What happens to good people that weren't Muslims? What about Muslims that fulfill all their requirements but are bad people in general? I really like the concept of eternal bliss in Jannah (heaven), but why is it an absolute? Why is it all or nothing?

There are MANY other issues I have with Islam, too many to name. I still feel a deep connection to Islam and the Imams (especially Imam Ali and Imam Mahdi), but living like a good Muslim is impossible unless you live in Iran or something, where it's the social norm to do everything perfectly according to Islamic law.
    Namaste,

I know exactly where you're coming from.

I was a Muslim and practised for a year or so about 5 years back. I found in that year, the pressure was so immense and I literally felt myself hating religion in general after it.

What I didn't like was the attitude of other Muslims. They were so domineering and try to live their life vicariously through new Muslims I felt. "Don't do that brother," "Brother, you do know that's Haraam," were often things told to me. I also had a lot of Muslims who purposely refused to answer my Salaams just because they didn't believe I was sincere enough. Apparently, I was told I was in the wrong for making them feel uncomfortable! What a load of Tripe...

I'm glad you're looking into Hinduism, it really feels so right and ex Muslims like us will really see the great things about it.

Pranams.

Namaste Muimineen,

I think Spiritual seeker is quite knowledgeable on Islam as he has extensively read Islamic scriptures and he was a former Muslim.

I think he is in a better position to advise you.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

There are rules in Hinduism also. But, no one will chop off your head for not following them.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste,

Or, burn you alive,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18713545

Pranam.

Namaste

My problem with Islam is Islamists. Too many are politcized Islamists, and among them even if not a majority, too many of them want to kill me.

1) Kill me because I am an American
    2) Kill me because I am not a Muslim
    3) Kill me because my children are not nor ever will be Muslim nor any of my relatives
    4) Kill me because I think the temples and shrines and churches and ancient monuments which Muslims have torn down and built mosques on top of should be returned the Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Parsi, Jain, Zorostrian, animist et al, returned to them to again erect the temple as it was..
    -and most of all
    5) Kill me because I am a Hindu

I am an AMERICAN AND A HINDU - and there are ever more of us every day. For some reason that makes some Muslims REALLY hate me. But for those who do, I guess they better get used to it. Because we are the future, and they are the past. We have been around longer. And will be after they are left behind. Of course, no one is gone. They just become new again. To see yourself in the future, look far back to see yourself in the past. You should see who is next to you. Many of them have been with you for a long, long time.

My friends are the Devotees of Deva and Devi. There are no words that can describe this Friendship. I am bound by Duty and Dharma to Them. This Friendship is stronger than any hate. This journey of Friendship is a long travel, there are many adventures on the way. We are many. We have a History.

And we have a Future that will not be denied.

8. Re: Islam is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Thank you for your kind post.

I have been a Muslim only for about two and a half years (I became a Muslim on Eidul Adha 1430 -- Nov. 27, 2009), but I am so tired of worry about it, honestly. I absolutely love some parts of it, such as the devotion to Ali because I can actually relate to human beings. That's something, I think, that draws me to Dharmic faiths. Hindu gods come in various Avatars, so I can worship the one that I am drawn to the most, with the characteristics I view god as having. Buddhism focuses on the self and sometimes the Buddha, both of which are much easier to relate to than some concept of god that is "out there". Does that make sense? As for other schools of Islam, I don't think so. If Islam is truly a religion of god, then the only other school that has the slightest bit of legitimacy is the Akhbari's, and they're a strange lot. They practice tatbir (cutting and whipping themselves) and they curse others quite frequently. If god is real, he can't be made up of so much hate. If god was as hateful as the Abrahamic traditions make him out to be, he would have destroyed the universe in a rage by now.

I was also raised a Christian, but none of the denominations appeal to me. Jesus was the friend of prostitutes, murderers, thieves, etc. Yes can you find a single church that accepts those people, without simultaneously being run down by them? (What I mean is, we should be accepting of all, as long as they don't interfere. The Salvation Army church that my aunt goes to is FILLED with bad influences, which isn't good either).

Another gripe I have with Christianity is it's absolutes. You are either a believer, and go to heaven; or you are a disbeliever, and go to hell. You could be a good or bad person, but your next life depends on only weather you believe or not (while some traditions emphasize work too much that they loose the message of Jesus. It seems like it is impossible to actually follow the teachings of the Bible. It's too contradictory. You either work your way into heaven, or you believe your way.)

I really appreciate your note on hate. I have a lot of hate built up inside of me that I need to let go for my own sake. My hatred of the Jews, the Sunnis, and the Christians will do no good. And I'm not even hurting the people I hate, I am only hurting myself. It will take me a long time to come to peace with some things, but I will work towards it the best I can. I have a lot of anger problems, but the only person that it hurts is me. My enemies benefit because I am weak from it.

Thank you, and the best for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    I totally understand what you mean. The pressure IS intense. I switched from Sunni to Shia a while back, and although there is a bit less pressure in Shiaism, it's still there. I never felt like I could be myself around fellow Muslims. I was always worried that I'd do something wrong in front of them, and that I wouldn't be accepted. This is a fear I have anywhere. I'm only 17 years old, and I have been a social reject my entire life. Other than my family and one or two friends here and there, nearly everyone hates me. I am always conscious of what I do, to make sure I don't do something unacceptable, but I usually did anyway. Especially in Islam.

They refused to respond to your salaams? :O That's haraam. I was told that it is a grievous sin not to return it if a Mu'mineen gives it to you. I would be rejected in other ways, that are similar though. I would give the long version (As-Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu) and would be greeted with an apathetic "salam". It was really demeaning, honestly, because I put the effort in to greet you in my non-native language, and you treat it as if I've done nothing. As if I'm worth nothing. Is it because I'm fat, white, and young?

Why on earth would they be uncomfortable with you around? I'd be more uncomfortable in the presence of a Wahhabi than a new Muslim that didn't know the social customs. At least I could sort of act myself around the new Muslim.

I agree with you. One of my few (if not my only, at this point) friends is a Hindu from Fiji. Although he hates my constant asking him about it, he has taught me more about being a good person than anyone else has. He does not abandon the modern world to be a recluse with nothing but contempt and hatred for all else, but he takes his morality and uses it in the contemporary world. That is the kind of life that I want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    I think Spiritual seeker is quite knowledgeable on Islam as he has extensively read Islamic scriptures and he was a former Muslim.
    Thank you. I will contact him, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    There are rules in Hinduism also. But, no one will chop off your head for not following them.
    Seriously?! SWEET. Now I don't have to hide when the extremists come around. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Very inspiring post. I agree with you. Unfortunately, Islam had transformed me into a radical. I eventually escaped all that, and found a home with my "enemies" (the shia), but I still don't feel right. I don't feel like I should have to defend Muhammad or my religion. Islam may not directly teach hatred and persecution, but the fact that it ALLOWS it to be interpreted that way concerns me. The response I've gotten from the Islamic community about this issue is simply that there are Christian and Hindu radicals that promote hate and terrorism too. Well, yes, I guess this is true. But Christianity and Hinduism are not built directly on such principals as Islam is. Islam came to combat the polytheists in Arabia, and boy did Islam win that battle, but that doesn't make it right.

Thanks to all for reading this thread and your responses

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu'mineen View Post
    Is it because I'm fat, white, and young
    That is a trifecta of negativity.
    Sorry, could not resist. Just a joke, I hope I did not offend you.

Keep pouring out your feelings. It is catharsis and finding your deep hidden emotions, both being dealt with through your posts. First thing you need to do though is to change your HDF name to a neutral one or a Hindu sounding one. Don't know why you would stick to your muslim name if you hate Islam so much and are trying to put it behind you. Besides it is insensitive to most of the native hindus in the forum, for you to be using such a name.

Pranam.

10. Re: Islam is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

That is a trifecta of negativity.
    Sorry, could not resist. Just a joke, I hope I did not offend you.

Keep pouring out your feelings. It is catharsis and finding your deep hidden emotions, both being dealt with through your posts. First thing you need to do though is to change your HDF name to a neutral one or a Hindu sounding one. Don't know why you would stick to your muslim name if you hate Islam so much and are trying to put it behind you. Besides it is insensitive to most of the native hindus in the forum, for you to be using such a name.

Pranam.
    It's alright, I've come to terms with what I am lol.

Who may I contact to have a name change? Is there an admin that would do that for me? Now I just have to choose a better name.

Out of curiosity, why would it offend native Hindus? Mu'mineen is your exact name, but in Arabic instead of English. Is it because of how Muslims have invaded India and ruled in a horrible manner in the past?

Thread Information