Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A meditation experience i need help understanding!

A meditation experience i need help understanding!

Namaste brothers and sisters.
    I have a recent experience to share and was hoping someone could shed light on what happened during my meditation.
    I was sitting upright with my legs crossed and my fingers interlocked with each other resting on my legs (something I usually do as it is comfortable for me). Around about 20 mins in I felt a slight form of pressure on my right cheek, naturally I opened my eyes and had a look but as soon as I opened my eyes the pressure went. At the time I assumed it was just a slight muscle spasm, as I had been to gym the previous day. As I continued on meditating, the pressure came back so this time I kept my eyes closed, all of a sudden the pressure moved up, over my eye, onto my forehead and travelled over the top of my head until it was exactly at the back of the head where the spine connects to the brain. During this I kept my eyes closed, when all of a sudden the pressure moved inside my head, then something quite amazing happened. All I could hear was a form of classical type music with orchestrated choir in it, this was something I’ve never heard in my life and it wasn’t repetitive as it would be when you try to play a song in your head(it get’s stuck and replays old parts). During this I started to get pulses in my fingers in a pattern, first the small fingers on both hands pulsed, then the next ones up, then the middle fingers then the index fingers. This happened over and over as the music played in a pattern 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, ect. I was in perfect harmony, I can’t really describe it but I was the happiest I’ve ever felt in my life, no thoughts crossed my mind and all I wanted to do was sit there all evening and listen to the music. I was still in my mental happy place(the place I envision when I meditate ). Then it revealed something to me, something I’ve been supressing for many years, a thought of self-doubt but, it was myself shouting it at me within my head, then I opened my eyes and contemplated what was revealed to me, I accepted it instead of hiding from it. Then I continued through the night not meditating but continuing with my studies, and the music stayed for a few hours after, but all night no external inner thoughts were in my head and all I could feel was peace.
    I honestly have no idea what happened (which Is why im asking as I’m new to meditation and only been doing it for 8 months). Hopefully someone can shed some light on what happened.
    Last edited by iceblitz; 07 July 2012 at 06:14 AM.

Re: A meditation experience i need help understanding!

Wow, thats quite the experience. Hopefully some members can shed light on it. I'm interested too, since I have 0 experience with meditation and after you told me I was like :O

Vannakkam: I don't meditate well myself, but I have read that the classical Indian instruments were designed especially to imitate inner music, so I can guess that you tuned into the sounds inside somehow. But that it just some wild guess, not anything borne of inner experience. A well trained classical Indian musician might know.

But I've also heard its best not to focus on such experiences, just enjoy them as they happen.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 07 July 2012 at 10:03 AM.

what you heard (musical sounds) is the om=anahad naad/anahat naad.literally translating sound produced without striking something.(sound are created by vibration of striking objects.)It is some thing akin to clapping being produced by one hand.
    hearing anahat naad is a very high spiritual experience.please value it.keep listening to it.this is also called as Ram.
    it is also called the ajapa jap
    as you keeep hearing the sounds will change.from crickets buzzing,to bells ...there are 72 types of sound.ENJOY
    see this link http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual...-hand-clapping
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Namaste,

good to hear you meditating. The pressure may be the subtle energy coursing through your body. It is usually doing that, but when calm and focused it can intensified. I feel this energy a lot in my hands and feet. When I meditate sometimes I can feel it in my back, forehead, cheeks, nose, and sometimes entire limbs. It is quite a pleasant feeling. I think as dhyandev suggested that you may have been hearing Om. Some people can hear the sound of 'silence' by just paying attention to the silence. My guru says that whenever an experience occurs during meditation no matter how fascinating it is 'seen', so our task if we want to call it that is to find out what it is that sees even the most beautiful sights or feels and hear vibrations. This is something I forget a lot when I get caught up in samadhis and other 'transcendental' experiences. I end up getting attached to them and missing what they are pointing to. But that is what I have to deal with, you may not have this problem.

Om Namah Shivaya

Wow, that really sounds incredible.

Great experience.. I believe that's ananda or bliss a pure joy of existence..I'm sure if you continue like this you will become more joyful and experience Brahman
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Quote Originally Posted by dhyandev View Post
    what you heard (musical sounds) is the om=anahad naad/anahat naad.literally translating sound produced without striking something.(sound are created by vibration of striking objects.)It is some thing akin to clapping being produced by one hand.
    hearing anahat naad is a very high spiritual experience.please value it.keep listening to it.this is also called as Ram.
    it is also called the ajapa jap
    as you keeep hearing the sounds will change.from crickets buzzing,to bells ...there are 72 types of sound.ENJOY
    see this link http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual...-hand-clapping
    Now that i think of it the choir sounds were somewhat of an ommm but the actual music wasn't resembled in that. It's really hard to explain, but i think i'll keep trying to listen and see if the nature of the experience will be revealed to me. Thanks for the info btw

Namaste,

If you are not practising Yog, or anything related to Kundalini or energy, then beeter not try to explore it.

As EM has said, just let it happen and let it pass by.

The pressure you are feeling on cheeks finger tips, etc are of energy, which I used to regularly feel when I used to practice Kundalini Yog.

What you are hearing can be because of expansion of consciousness.

1. The music being actually played nearby. Sometimes, we get super sensitive and pick up signals which we normally would not pickup. Sometimes, I could hear cars passing by from a nearby road, while I was meditating.

2. You may be connected to a subtle world, where this music is being played.

3. Old memories often do come out ramdomly in meditation, which you may have stored when you were very young. So may be you have listened this music when you are very young and then forget it. Still it remained in sub-conscious mind. This may pop-up at any time. So this may be from past.

4. On rare occasion glimpses of past life can pop-up.

I was still in my mental happy place(the place I envision when I meditate ).
    From what you describe, somehow, dormant desires which was suppressed has been activated.

Energy, generally goes from back of mind into subconscious mind. I cannot find this description in shastras, but I used to experience this. Even thoughts come from back side of brain and then into front side of brain.

Subconscious mind has many things stored, which you normally do not know. When activated, anything can come out of it.

The energy is blocked in the spine area, when it is cleaned by a blast of spiritual energy or something similar like melting of energy, then you experience pressure on that area.

Imagine it as a pipe which is choked with garbage. So you apply pressure to water and then it will push the garbage. This garbage eventually moves out, so you see the shift in the pressure i.e. moving from one place to another. Divine energy also has tinkling sensation.

So i think your sub-conscious mind has been activated (temporarily) and consciousness has expanded and something has pop-out of it. You generally feel peace and in a kind of happy state and you would like to extend this state of mind as much as possible and so would like to stay in meditation as long as possible.

I was told that if such experiences happen, let them happen, do not side track your meditation.

Again, you think of some happy state, so this can be connected to it. Traditionally, you have to think of union of incarnated soul with higher soul.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    1. The music being actually played nearby. Sometimes, we get super sensitive and pick up signals which we normally would not pickup. Sometimes, I could hear cars passing by from a nearby road, while I was meditating.
    Vannakkam India et al: I remember one time before rising in the morning, I heard the song on the radio, but the radio wasn't on. Then when I turned it on, it was that song precisely. So yes there is a lot going on. Sometimes as well, for really sensitive people, they can 'feel' to react to someone else's thoughts. They are in the air like radio waves. If you have a particular offbeat thought that really seems like it doesn't have anything to do with you ... But as you said, it may be all interesting enough but it passes, just like any other more mundane experience.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information