Thread: Yellow Sapphire

Yellow Sapphire

Namaste

I had my chart done by Prem Jyotish. He said my stone is the Yellow Sapphire.

Well, I was very happy and surprised, because that is my absolute most favorite stone!

I am thinking to get a yellow sapphire ring. What is the meaning of this stone, should I buy such a ring?

I know this sounds sort of selfish to ask, but I do believe in such things as well as totems. Or am I being a "bad Hindu" by having such habits?

Also are totems counter to Hinduism? I asked Prem who is my totem, but he did not answer that question in my chart. By totem, I mean like raven for example. Raven is the bird.

Re: Yellow Sapphire

Are you talking about birth/animal totems? My girlfriend is Native american and hers is Wolf and I'm wolverine according to her. I think its based purely on birth.

Namaste Icy

Sorry, no I don`t mean Native totempoll religion, though the word totem used around here probably comes from that. Totems here meaning like family good luck symbols like oak tree, raven, or personal one's such as clover, horse shoe and such.

But I hope I get an answer about Yellow Sapphire!

Or is that the same as totems?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

indranīla = sapphire.

This yellow (śāra) sapphire (indranīla) is to gain favor with bṛhaspati¹ known as jupiter or guru.

The ratna (gem or stone) should have the following qualities:
    1. a heaviness to it ( guru )
    2. even-ness in surface; pleasent to the eye; no cracks, blemishes, etc.
    3. A beautiful yellow - the best are the yellows approaching lemon
    4. purchased on Thursday, in the bright half of the month or śukla pakṣa
    5. The size should be no less then 3 rattika-s ; 1 rattika = 0.59 metric carats¹ = 0.118 grams. So the stone should be 1.8 cts.
    6. the gem (ratna) should be set in gold - this too should occur on Thursday
    7. Proper pūja should be performed on a Thursday at proper time; This is the day one 1st wears the ring.
    8. Which finger should this ring go on ? I will let you research this.
    9. I end on 9, as 9 is the number for bṛhaspati the kāraka for the 9th house

praṇām

words
    • bṛhaspati ( some write vṛhaspati ) - is guru , 'lord of prayer or devotion' ;He is the chief offerer of prayers and sacrifices , and therefore represented as the type of the priestly order , and the purohita of the devata with whom he intercedes for men ; He is also regarded as son of aṅgiras , husband of tārā and father of kaca.
    • metric carat - the United States officially adopted the metric carat in 1913. One carat = .2 grams or 200 milligrams, equal to 1/5 of a gram
      • Carats, abbreviated 'ct.' and spelled with a 'c', is a measure of weight used for gemstones;
      • if you see karat with a 'k' then you are measuring gold i.e. 18k .
    • kāraka - doer, instrumental in bringing about the action related to that house.
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 July 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namast,

indranīla = sapphire.

And you may think of me often when you wear it. And, you know, the Divine, and astrological matters...but mostly me.

Seriously, Yajvan, that is excellent information; I am not going gem-shopping anytime soon, but have loved learning about stones since I was little(r). Thanks.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namast,

indranīla = sapphire.

And you may think of me often when you wear it. And, you know, the Divine,
    Yes, and yellow (śāra) + sapphire (indranīla) = pītamaṇi = yellow gem. The term 'hari' also can be used for yellow.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste all,

And thanks! So it sounds like it's ok to get a ring with yellow sapphire and I am still a Good Hindu (eg not superstitious but legit good blessing)...

Jai Lord Shiva!

OM Namah Shivaye ShivaFan,

Get your yellow sapphire gemstone or ring from here: http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/yello...hire_348..php3
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namaste

Please consider reading this before purchasing...
    http://www.gia.edu/gem-treatment
    This is not to detour anyone's purchase. It is so one has some knowlege before purchasing.

Things to consider ( from my vantage point)
    1. What are you buying?
    2. Is it man-made? or a mined stone?
    3. What treatments occurred to the stone?
    4. A full disclosure of all flaws and heat treatments.
    5. Size AND weight ( consider the density of the stone)
    6. Is it the proper color for one's use? Proper weight?
    7. Is it new - that means never used, returned or worn by another ( this for me is a big deal)

For me, I was ( and am) fortunate to live in cities with gem stone providers. Raw or finished. Hence I was able
    to look , touch, and review any and all purchases on stones and gems. I was also able to start from
    raw materials to create a finished stone ( I did this with lapis lazuli, asitāśman)
    . That is , it was rare to never that I would purchase
    a raw stone from a jewelry store. It was rare for me to purchase stones on-line without personally knowing the person and talking
    with him/her about the stone.

Above all I did my research. For any stone I researched it for some months. I also worked with craftsman for the stone settings.
    This 'cycle' could consume 3 months before confidence was in place to move forward on a stone and its setting.

( photo of lapis - an influence for ketu)

...do as you see fit.
    इतिशिवम्
    iti śivam
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 March 2016 at 02:58 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information