Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sadhana

Sadhana

Vannakkam: Sadhana is generally thought of as a daily religious practice, done alone, between you and God. It's usually done in a home shrine, or specified spot, and done regularly, ideally 365 days a year, but we make exceptions for traveling, illness, or other special circumstances. Often it is 'made up' though in such circumstances, by committing double the time the next day. etc.

For many, this is the core of their essential practice. It takes it a step beyond reading books, or going to temple on occasion. It can involve pujas, japa, scriptural reading, meditation, and more, but always a focus on personalised religion.

It varies in length, from 10 minutes or so, to maybe 2 or 3 hours, and is often done early in the morning, but not always.

I think sometimes newcomers to the faith don't realise that most older Hindus have sadhana well set as a daily practice, although with varying circumstances in life, the nature of the sadhana may vary over time.

For newcomers, it might be useful for some of us old-timers to briefly describe our daily sadhanas, so there might be a range of ideas for practise put forth.

Currently, my daily sadhana consists of about 45 minutes ... a simple puja, some scriptural reading from my lineage's teaching, 4 or 5 rounds of japa with my mantra, then a brief meditation. I probably do it about 19 days of 20 or so, and is by no means my only practice.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 10 July 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Re: Sadhana

आकल्पजन्मकोटीनां यज्ञव्रततपः क्रियाः |
    ताः सर्वाः सफला देवि गुरुसंतोषमात्रतः ||

हे देवी ! कल्प पर्यन्त के, करोंड़ों जन्मों के यज्ञ, व्रत, तप और शास्त्रोक्त क्रियाएँ, ये सब गुरुदेव के संतोषमात्र से सफल हो जाते हैं i.e. O Devi, by the mere satisfaction of the Guru, all sacrifices, austerities, penances, and rites practiced in crores of births, in crores of Kalpas (world cycles), become fruitful

गुरुमंत्र का अर्थ समझ कर जप करो
    तो ऐसा कोई सामने वाले की रूचि और योग्यता देखकर मंत्र देने वाला कोई ब्रह्मज्ञानी गुरु मिल जाये, मंत्र का अर्थ समझा दे, और आप “अर्थ समझ कर मंत्र जप करते हैं”, तो करोडों करोडों गुना जादा हितकारी और मंगलकारी है ! इसी जनम में आप को ऐसी ऊँचाई पे रख देगा, कि मनमानी 50 जनम की साधना, उसके आगे कोई माना नहीं रखती….
    Last edited by dhyandev; 10 July 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more info
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Namaste,

Anyone know of any books with instructions on how to perform pujas, mantras and their meaning, meditation in the Hindu tradition and prayer?

Thank you.

Hari Om!

Have posted elsewhere but this is a great idea to have a dedicated thread, especially for those who consider themselves "new". I am far from an oldtimer, but I humbly submit my routine:

Up at brahmamuhurta - 4am daily. A most spiritual time. Earlier if work interferes. Start with some light yog asanas followed by pranayama and then jap, both with mala and written prayers, meditation and puja. Then to religious study of scripture and other uplifting works. This always seems to fill up the 2 hour period here if not more.

Continue to read throughout the day as am able.

Evening routine consists of aarti and yog nidra, perhaps this will take about an hour. Evening prayers are last before bed at around 10PM.

This routine is adjusted timewise with my work schedule that varies which means that it sometimes starts at 2AM, sometimes at the proper time, etc.

Lastly, I always write out the Hanuman Chalisa on Tuesdays as I am trying to memorize this beautiful work of Tulsidas.

Jai Jai Hanuman!!

Self-deleted.
    Last edited by Jainarayan; 10 July 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Self-deleted.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vanakkam !

This post is a great idea, this is certainly very inspiring for newcomers like me and many others ! Thank you very much and please, keep up the good work !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Hari Om!

Was hoping to get additional ideas to improve my sadhana. Anything that I can do for self-improvement/realization is highly beneficial and anything that esteemed members could offer would be greatly appreciated. Please post the things that you practice on a daily basis as IMHO it is much more meaningful. Thanks in advance.

Jai Jai Hanuman!
    Last edited by c.smith; 18 July 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Would like what is practiced by members.

To increase sadhana,

1. Moksha / Divine Vision of God / Yog (as per path you follow) should be the only Goal

Pray:

Open your grief-stricken heart to the Lord. Weep and sincerely pray, 'O Lord, draw me towards You; give me peace of mind.' By doing so constantly you, will gradually attain peace of mind.

Thus Spake the Holy Mother. Madras: Sri Ramakrishna Math, 1971.

Pray,

Oh God, I do not know how to chant thy name, please teach me
    *Oh God, I only want your Divine vision. Please make this as my only goal.

2. Do not give importance to worldly matters and issues.

As your mind becomes introvert, you can easily meditate.

God is like Sun and world is like shadow. You cannot look at both. They are both in opposite direction. Becoming introvert takes time. It is difficult, but not impossible.

3. Meditate.

As one advances in spirituality, one can feel constant flow of peace and bliss.

But one cannot stay introvert and keep meditating. Work needs to be done. So make work your worship. Surrender all your work and it's fruits to God. Pray to God or surrender to God or simply remember God before beginning or doing any work.

Slowly, you will get introvert, and then meditation will increase and become easy.

4. Keep minimum dependencies in life. E.g. if you do not need A.C. (Air Conditioner), do not install it in your house.

This helps you a lot.

5. Be regular and sincere in book study and meditation.

Do not let loose. You should meditate daily or chant mantra.

these are the points which I think should help anyone to advance in spirituality and in sadhana.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Oh and yes,

Bhakti is the foundation of spirituality. Without Bhakti, one cannot have Jnana.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Was hoping to get additional ideas to improve my sadhana. Anything that I can do for self-improvement/realization is highly beneficial and anything that esteemed members could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jai Jai Hanuman!
    Vannakkam: I'm hoping that this doesn't mean that people here talk about sadhana, but don't actually do it. I know many though, that don't realise sadhana exists as a practise. Most of my friends don't do anything other than come to temple, and maybe light a lamp in front of their closet shrines and stand for a couple of minutes. If scripture is read, its done more like a reading a novel, in a comfy chair somewhere, not like a study.

But I can add a couple more ideas ..

Place ... generally a particular spot in the house is dedicated as a prayer room, or a shrine room, preferably a whole room, but at least a place where nothing else happens except sadhana.

Time ... generally its done at the same time every day

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information