Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sadhana

Re: Sadhana

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Vanakkam,

You know so much about the Guru, you end up being the Guru for others.
    I bow to your knowledge of Sri sri Ramakrishna

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Thakn you. It's all Sri Ramakrishna's grace.

I prefer to be a disciple than to be a Guru. I do not want dangerous Ego of being a Guru.

I am just another guy. A common man, like you and all others.

these are not just words. My experiences in spirituality. Else I can fool you all, but how can I look to myself in mirror and to God ? If I lie, to whom should I surrender, taking credit from God and Guru's.

This is not an exaggeration, but a personal experience. Maybe you will understand that even grasping and digesting a thing depends upon Grace of God and Guru.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Was hoping to get additional ideas to improve my sadhana. Anything that I can do for self-improvement/realization is highly beneficial and anything that esteemed members could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    always use asana for sitting in any kind of spiritual activity.Avoid walking barefoot for long time as all the spiritual energy will get earthing & go down(just like earthing in electrcity)
    When doing any kind of spiritual activity jap,dhyan etc always touch the tip of your tongue to your palate(taalu) i.e. about 1-2 cm back from the roots of you upper teeth
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

sādhana - is a means of effecting or accomplishing; any agent or instrument or implement or utensil or apparatus , an expedient , requisite.

And what is the ~utensil~ ? It is a upāya - that by which one reaches one's aim , a means or expedient , a technique or menu of techniques.

Over the years I have found one's sādhana is like a suit. One size , shape or style does not fit all. The best suit is one that is tailored for the individual. And who then is the ~master taylor~ ? The teacher that offers upadeśa ( instruction).

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste!

First I am so glad this thread exists, since I have had a clumsy start with my daily prayer and meditation practices. Thank you to all the contributors!

I know this was meant to be a call for the experienced in Sadhana, but I thought perhaps it might be helpful for other newcomers to read about how another inexperienced new-comer began practicing daily.

I literally had no idea how to begin. I read a few articles here and there, but most of what I began with came from observation, those few articles, and necessity.

I have a modest shrine in one corner of my studio (I'm an artist). It is comprized of a small prayer box containing my SriLakshmi murti. There is also a candle that I light before each prayer/meditation.

I pray once in the morning (about 15 minutes) and once again before bed (20-30min)

I do not know an ounce of Sanskrit, nor do I know any of the proper mantras (I'm hoping to learn more through wonderful resources like this forum) However, I know the name of Lakshmi, so I will sometimes do the japa mala while speaking her name. I will also sometimes choose 3 words related to qualities I wish to feel or become (Compassion, Calm, Understanding, Generous etc) and I will speak these words while doing the japa mala.

As far as what is actually occurring while I pray or meditate? Sometimes I have nothing to think of or contemplate on, so I just enjoy the silence. It's a soothing way to work your way into and out of the day.

Other times I imagine I am sitting across from my ishta-devata and having a conversation. Now, whether God is speaking to me, through me, or I'm just making it all up myself, is a mystery to even me yet, but I think what matters is that this exercise helps me organize my thoughts more calmly, rather then get preoccupied with emotions or the events of the day.

Again, there are many "proper" ways to perform Sadhana, so if one is looking for those, perhaps my examples are not the best to follow. But if anyone is having trouble even knowing where to start I hope perhaps this is helpful.

Thank you for reading!

Peace!

I too am VERY new to all of this. Even incorporating one new thing into my day seems difficult. I do not have many rooms in my house. So I do not have a space JUST for ritual. I sit on my bed and look at the image of Ganesha before I do light meditation or chanting.
    I have a couple of questions. I have learned that you are supposed to do these things at the SAME time each day preferrably early and with washing beforehand.
    Is it ok to work up to this? I have no sense of time. Never have...so it is very difficult for me. I just want to know if it is ok to work up to it this way...
    Also...in reading the puja instructions in Loving Ganesha...i cannot tell if there are many different small pujas...or if it is one big long puja that must be done altogether. There is Sanskrit between the descriptions but my eyes cannot distinguish a break between paragraphs...does this make sense? Does anyone else have this book?
    The beginning of the puja section is a a water sipping/hand rinsing ritual. Is this complete within itself?? Or is this the beginning of the rest of the puja instructions? I am confused. Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by squidgirl View Post
    Is it ok to work up to this? I have no sense of time. Never have...so it is very difficult for me. I just want to know if it is ok to work up to it this way...

The beginning of the puja section is a a water sipping/hand rinsing ritual. Is this complete within itself?? Or is this the beginning of the rest of the puja instructions? I am confused. Any help appreciated!

Namaste, Squidgirl,

Although I am new I can tell you a few things based on what I've read here from other members. In reality, when you are starting out, the most important thing to remember is to just do whatever you do with devotion. There are traditional ways to do things, but really, God cares mostly that you are doing your sadhana with love, not whether you have the order of things just right. That being said, I can understand your desire to "get it right". Those who are new to SD feel a strong pull to make sure we get the details

I will say, (and this is just my opinion) that in terms of when you do your daily worship, whether you do it at night, or in the morning of after your midday snack - you should aim to do it at the same time every day. This helps your mind get into the right place. It is easier to maintain a new activity if it is routine. I would say, if the morning doesn't work (you wake up at different times) then find time to do it in the evening.

I happen to be fortunate enough that I work from home, so I can pray and meditate in the morning, as well as at night before bed. But not everyone has a regular schedule like that.

As for the Puja ceremonies, you will have to rely on other members for advice. I have only gotten as far as offering flowers and food to my murti and I only know one mantra to sing while I do it! My current Lakshmi isn't suitable for ritual bathing.

Remember, no matter how small or short or incomplete your ceremony is, do it with love. And while you should make an effort to improve it a little every week, don't feel badly about taking it slow. There's no race - not that I'm aware of

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by squidgirl View Post
    I too am VERY new to all of this. Even incorporating one new thing into my day seems difficult. I do not have many rooms in my house. So I do not have a space JUST for ritual. I sit on my bed and look at the image of Ganesha before I do light meditation or chanting.
    I have a couple of questions. I have learned that you are supposed to do these things at the SAME time each day preferrably early and with washing beforehand.
    Also...in reading the puja instructions in Loving Ganesha...i cannot tell if there are many different small pujas...or if it is one big long puja that must be done altogether. There is Sanskrit between the descriptions but my eyes cannot distinguish a break between paragraphs...does this make sense? Does anyone else have this book?
    Vannakkam squidgirl: Yes, it is all something that can be worked up to. Even the number of days it is done. The intent in Loving Ganesha is to show the final result. I also think there is an audio file for it. If I can find it, I'll PM it to you. In your case it might work better by learning it that way. You also might like to know that Himalayan Academy has recently updated their introductory course, changing it from 3 years to 15 months, and adding 'How to do Ganesha Puja". Since its free and on line, that might be something you can consider. If you did sign up, and explained your particular reading situation, one of the Himalayan Academy monks might assist you. Another option would be to create your own audio file with the help of a local Sanskrit speaker. I do know the intent in the book is to do it all at once, in one sitting. As you get better, it gets faster. For example, once you get certain portions memorised you no longer have to read as you go. The gestures also come naturally along with the chanting.
    Hope this helps.

Editted to add; Here's the audio link. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audi.../ganesha_puja/ When I learned some of this, I just worked on one sloka at a time until that one was mastered. To learn the whole puja without a book might take 6 months. I checked the audio files, and the chanter is going particularly slow just so pronunciation is clear. You can say it faster. I think he's also included the titles of each portion, which you don't have to say.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

If we have our profession and work, but also want to always engage in sadhana, as long as ones work is not counter to basic principles of Hinduism, then why cant one do both simultaneously? For example, cant we develop our powers to do both, but consider our work as simply an activity that is occurring over there as if just a dream? And can sadhana be performed in a dream state?

I can do my work, and do sadhana at the same moment, for example I can be doing computer programming and at the same moment see Shiva as looking over me.

In other words, cant we chew gum and walk at the same time? - Some can.

Now sadhana in dream state, it is not about having nice dreams. It may not even be about having dreams of Deva or Devi, though I do have those often. So can one do sadhana in a dream state?

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    then why cant one do both simultaneously?
    This question troubles me too. But it seems to me that one does need to take time out from daily life for a period to devote to sadhana only. Absence of distraction and people is sometimes needed to fully exploit the possibilities of meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

If we have our profession and work, but also want to always engage in sadhana, as long as ones work is not counter to basic principles of Hinduism, then why cant one do both simultaneously? For example, cant we develop our powers to do both, but consider our work as simply an activity that is occurring over there as if just a dream? And can sadhana be performed in a dream state?

I can do my work, and do sadhana at the same moment, for example I can be doing computer programming and at the same moment see Shiva as looking over me.

In other words, cant we chew gum and walk at the same time? - Some can.

Now sadhana in dream state, it is not about having nice dreams. It may not even be about having dreams of Deva or Devi, though I do have those often. So can one do sadhana in a dream state?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste,

It all depends upon your approach. If your only goal is divine vision of God, then work will not be important.

The thing is to meditate daily. After one is able to meditate for 3 hours, then the mantra continues in sub-conscious mind. When you work it still goes on. After the work is complete, mantra should pop up and chant should continue.

once the work is finished and you leave office premises, then the work should not continue in mind. Some people intend to even think of programming at night. This is not advisable from spiritual standpoint. This happens if mind gives more importance to God than work i.e. divine vision should be the only goal.

Rest will happen. Dreams, I am immortal soul, I am atman even if I know or do not know,etc, etc is just philosophy (to us). Though it's true, it's not applicable to laymen. It is like seeing snake and saying that I see rope. (I hope you know snake and rope e.g.). Snake is superimposed on rope in the dark, but when you switch on light, then snake immediately disappears. Here without switching on the light, just by hearing someone that when you switch on, snake will disappear, you keep saying that I see rope even though you see snake.

So asking 'Who am I' is inner exploration where one realise that one is separate from thought and then a question arises, if I am not thought, then who am I? and the mind enters into thoughtless state. Who am I is not a mantra to be repeated nor is the mantra I am brahman, says Sri Ramana Maharshi.

I am That in this the word 'AM' is important. This word gives unity of I and That (brahman). So one should ask 'Who am I'. When one finds the answer, the word I am That becomes meaningful (saarthaka) i.e. I am That (Brahman / Atman) (Source: 40 verses on reality / truth). Just by repeating I am that is just like repeating I do not feel pain (even though a thorn is pierced into your feet). Will the thorn get removed. Sir Ramakrishna says, take another thorn (Jnana) and remove 'the thorn which is pierced (Ajnana) and then throw away both thorns. Now you are free.

Sri Ramakrishna says, when working keep one hand on God and one in work. when work is finished, keep both hands in God. If you cannot avoid karma, then do it for God.

So after doing work, which requires concentration and creativity, I think, you cannot think of God. But if you do not carry your programming in head after working hours, then you give it's not good four spiritual growth.

From 24 hours, you just spend 2-3 hours for God and rest for this world and dream world. So the effect of this world is more than chanting God's name. When the reverse will happen, i.e. God's name can easily wipe out thoughts and mind calms down, then things will change. Till then keep trying. Initially, you chant mantra in-between thoughts, later thoughts come in-between mantra. So once which was extremely difficult and tiresome has now become easy, as mental agitation has greatly reduced. Everybody has to pass through this phase, so that best is to start practicing when you are very young, before entering into samsara i.e. job / business, marriage, kids, etc, etc, so that when you are 60 years old, you do not try to find another job after retirement to again retire -- re-tire i.e. to get exhausted (tired ). You have enough practice to be able to be still and sit in one place.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information