Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sadhana

Re: Sadhana

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

If we have our profession and work, but also want to always engage in sadhana, as long as one’s work is not counter to basic principles of Hinduism, then why can’t one do both simultaneously?

In other words, can’t we “chew gum and walk at the same time?”

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste, ShivaFan

I've solved this problem for myself by simply dedicating my work (and the fruit of my work) to God. Before I start working I say a prayer thanking God for giving me my skills and allowing me to make myself useful. I ask God to accept my work as part of my Sadhana. It's not ritual by the scriptures, but the same intent is there. Krishna himself praises the virtues of work and action. I think as long as we enter into an activity with an awareness of God's part in it, and remember to thank God for all our successes (and failures that we learn from) one can easily work with their heart invested in God even if our minds must be occupied to get that work done.

Peace!
    Last edited by Jodhaa; 11 September 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Font
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste Jodhaa

Quote Jodhaa: " I've solved this problem for myself by simply dedicating my work (and the fruit of my work) to God."

Thank you Jodhaa, this is the answer for me!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste Jodha and Shivafan

I read the thread from post #1 and found that I had replied in post #8 about work as worship

a quote here

3. Meditate.

As one advances in spirituality, one can feel constant flow of peace and bliss.

But one cannot stay introvert and keep meditating. Work needs to be done. So make work your worship. Surrender all your work and it's fruits to God. Pray to God or surrender to God or simply remember God before beginning or doing any work.

Slowly, you will get introvert, and then meditation will increase and become easy.
    Looks like I need to read my earlier replies before making a new one
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste, IndiaSpirituality!

Actaully, it's more like I need to read before posting! Thank you!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post

Namaste, ShivaFan

I've solved this problem for myself by simply dedicating my work (and the fruit of my work) to God. Before I start working I say a prayer thanking God for giving me my skills and allowing me to make myself useful. I ask God to accept my work as part of my Sadhana.
    Namaste Jodhaa

Quote Jodhaa: " I've solved this problem for myself by simply dedicating my work (and the fruit of my work) to God."

Thank you Jodhaa, this is the answer for me!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Yes, this is sanctioned by Sri Krishna Himself in the Bhagavad Gita (Swami Tapasyananda translation).

Chapter 2.

47. To work alone you have competence, and not to claim their fruits. Let not the longing for fruits be the motive force of your action. At the same time let not this attitude confirm you in indolent inaction.

48. Engage yourself in action with the mind steadfast in Yoga. Abandon attachments, O Arjuna, and be unperturbed in success and failure. This unperturbed sameness in all conditions is Yoga.

49. O Arjuna, mere action (with attachment) is far inferior to action done with the mind poised in evenness. Seek shelter in this state of unperturbed evenness (which can arise only in a desireless mind in communion with the Divine). Those who work for selfish gains are indeed pitiable.

50. One endowed with this unperturbed evenness of mind abandons the effects of both good and bad actions even here itself. Therefore strive for this state of Yoga. Yoga is skill in action.

51. Wise men, established thus in the unperturbed evenness of mind, abandon the fruits of action, free themselves from entanglement in the cycle of births and deaths, and attain to the state of freedom from all sorrow (liberation).

Chapter 3.

9. O son of Kunti! In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God (or as Yajna), become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments.

15. Works of sacrifice have their authority in the Veda. Veda has been revealed by the Supreme Being. Therefore the all-comprehending Veda is established in sacrifice (that is, has performance of sacrifice as its fundamental teaching).

19. Therefore perform action always without attachment. For, by working without attachment a man attains the Supreme.

I think we get the point.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    Namaste, IndiaSpirituality!

Actaully, it's more like I need to read before posting! Thank you!

Peace!
    Namaste Jodha

You have put things in a better way then me

@Jainarayan

Thats right, as you have pointed verses from Gita chapter 2 and 3. Chapter 3 is karma Yog (if I remember correctly. Also chapter 6 - Atma Sayyam Yog helps one control mind. Here Atma has to be taken as mind so it's mind control. That's why some translate it as Yoga of Meditation or Abhyasa Yog, rather than technical name Atmasayyam Yog to avoid confusion if one takes literal meaning of Atman meaning SELF or Brahman.

This thread is a very quality thread helpful to new and not so new seekers. I hope that it's stickied

Aum
    Last edited by Amrut; 13 September 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Vannakkam: A lot of wise thought. I think, with the way the world is today, busy busy busy, that if we (not all of us, just those in the workplace or school) want to maintain a sadhana at all, we HAVE to incorporate work to it:
    Sing bhajan in the car on the way to work. (I memorized pujas this way.)
    See God in all beings you meet.
    Set an example, in behaviour.
    Take pauses, before lunch, say those prayers silently.
    Keep reminders about.

But really, the sadhana of the shrine room can happen when you retire. I've been retired 4 full years now. At first it was really hard, just getting used to the idea that I actually had some time. Back in the working days, it was often the mantra, "Just don't forget who you are, so that when the day comes that you have more time, you'll be able to do more."

But now, it's easier. I don't have this, "What's next?" Duty-at-the-Workplace imaginary guy yelling in my ear. Of course there were many days when I'd 'forget' on the conscious level, but fortunately religion is also on the subconscious level, and if you put enough positive samskaras in there, they will reappear when the time permits.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

I don't see how one can make much spiritual progress without actually spending a specific amount of time every day on Sadhana (my favorite is reading/listening to scriptures). In addition listening to CDs while commuting etc can help. It should become a daily routine and not just a passing fad.

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

Yes, physically spending time, even 10 mins. at one's shrine is important, but consider the story in which Sri Krishna explains antharyagam http://www.bnaiyer.com/lores/b-puja-05.html (3rd section down).
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: A lot of wise thought. I think, with the way the world is today, busy busy busy, that if we (not all of us, just those in the workplace or school) want to maintain a sadhana at all, we HAVE to incorporate work to it:
    Sing bhajan in the car on the way to work. (I memorized pujas this way.)
    See God in all beings you meet.
    Set an example, in behaviour.
    Take pauses, before lunch, say those prayers silently.
    Keep reminders about.

But really, the sadhana of the shrine room can happen when you retire. I've been retired 4 full years now. At first it was really hard, just getting used to the idea that I actually had some time. Back in the working days, it was often the mantra, "Just don't forget who you are, so that when the day comes that you have more time, you'll be able to do more."

But now, it's easier. I don't have this, "What's next?" Duty-at-the-Workplace imaginary guy yelling in my ear. Of course there were many days when I'd 'forget' on the conscious level, but fortunately religion is also on the subconscious level, and if you put enough positive samskaras in there, they will reappear when the time permits.

Aum Namasivaya
    Sadhana and mindfulness - Both help.

Sadhana is integral part of spiritual progress and helps one reach near God. Constant awareness of God in work or remembering God before and after work, constant reminders to be on spiritual path, etc help one meditate properly and vice versa i.e. Sadhana helps one remain mindful easily. Both help each other. I think both are necessary. You need 2 wings to fly

I think sadhana is core practice, shastras, mindfulness helps one to move inside easily and give much needed clarity.

Remembering God (which I call mindfulness) will stop negative / worldly thoughts from entering our mind. Shastras give you clarity and direction. Sadhana makes mind more introvert and establishes in heart / God / SELF.

Same thing is with Guru and God. Guru makes extrovert mind introvert. God, who is inside us, establishes mind inside Heart. So for advanced meditators Guru will say, now leave the place and meditate on your own. guru is the last Adhara. Disciple has matured to such an extend that he/she has absorbed all his teaches and has found a neck of meditation. He now finds inner inspiration. Such a person knows what to do. He know the path. Only thing he needs to do is to meditate and God will take him to his destination. This is actual Himalayan tradition, where Guru never wants disciple to remain a disciple. He is not interested in increasing no of disciples. True Guru always makes another Guru. But to be a Guru, fist one has to be a honest and sincere disciple

Indeed religion is on sub-conscious level, but extends to unconscious and beyond 3 states and in general any trinity.

Aum
    Last edited by Amrut; 14 September 2012 at 03:55 AM.

Thread Information