Thread: How to sing/chant a stotram.

How to sing/chant a stotram.

Namasté, all,

A bit of background on this request: For those who are unaware, my iṣṭa-deva is Indra. Because I cannot chant Veda, this leaves me little devotional material to use; bhajans, prayers, verses, etc. to him are pretty nonexistent. I do have one text, but it's a doozy, and I'm asking for help.

About a year ago, I was fortunate to acquire part of The Collected Works of Gaṇapati Muni, offering many of Kāvyakaṇṭha's devotional works in Sanskrit, including the indrasahasranamastotram. (This book is also the source of the listed Indra sahasranāma, which I typed up and posted in a few places, including {I think?} this forum.)
    Of his verses on the Devas, it is this stotram for which the Muni is best known - for not only collecting and listing those thousand names of Indra from Rig Veda, but for compiling them into a verse which is honoured as masterful and beautiful.

The company Auro Nada (through SAKSI/Auroville) once sold a compilation CD, Vishnu and Indra Sahasranama, in which this stotram was chanted. I cannot find any information about Auro Nada company, though, and even the folks in Auroville itself had never heard of or seen this disc. All I have is the first minute of it, a sound sample file which I downloaded from the website, before the website disappeared. So, I have the full text, but only a little of the 'song version.'

Would anyone be willing to take a look/listen at the first few verses/sound file, and tell me if a) the chanting/singing is any good (and therefore something to emulate or not), b) if the rest of it should be sung roughly the same way, and c) if there's any way to tell where the pitches should rise and fall? With other stotra there are recordings and guides widely available - one can learn by listening - but I am very intimidated by this plain text, and up until now have preferred to be quiet rather than sing the thing all wrong. I realise that I ask a lot. Please forgive if it is too much.

(I'm posting in the Canteen because the gist is I Need a Giant Personal Favour, Because I Am a Moron, and I don't imagine that that will really benefit the community. Please let me know if it should go elsewhere.)

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 10 July 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Re: How to sing/chant a stotram.

I can help you with this, you can send me the recordings. Maybe I can record some parts of the stotra for you to compare with.

Do you know where to find the stotra you are talking about in Devanagari? I think I saw some typos in the transliteration.

Namast,

I can send the recording tonight, when I get back to my home computer.

Regarding the written stotram, I have the IAST version scanned from my book, but didn't think to scan the Devanāgarī version. I'll use the library scanner, and should be able to have a copy to you by the weekend.

Thank you...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Indraneela,

Can you please link to or PM me the Indra sahasranama compiled by Sri Ganapati Muni? Thank you.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namast,

Ramakrishna, I'm PM-ing you the direct link.

For anyone else who might want this file:
    The link changes sometimes as I make updates to my blog, so instead of leaving a link here that may not work in the future, you can easily find the list by entering "maghavan Indra sahasranama" in Google; the first result will lead you to the files.
    (I ask that folks please not publish or reproduce these particular files elsewhere without asking me first.)
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Thread Information