Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaivism vs Vaishnavism - differences

Shaivism vs Vaishnavism - differences

Hi

Can someone explain some of the philosophical differences between the two. I've tried doing research on it, but it's hard to find comparisons that say much more than "one worships Shiva, one worships Vishnu" etc.

One article I read (http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...d-vs-shaivism/) mentioned that "Shaivism believed in the one-ness of living beings and it believed in the fact that the oneness was brought about by the innate power of the supreme soul called the Brahma... (compared to Vaishnavism which) believed in the principles of qualified monism." What does that even mean, exactly.

Thank you.

Re: Shaivism vs Vaishnavism - differences

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRose3000 View Post
    Hi

Can someone explain some of the philosophical differences between the two. I've tried doing research on it, but it's hard to find comparisons that say much more than "one worships Shiva, one worships Vishnu" etc.

One article I read (http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...d-vs-shaivism/) mentioned that "Shaivism believed in the one-ness of living beings and it believed in the fact that the oneness was brought about by the innate power of the supreme soul called the Brahma... (compared to Vaishnavism which) believed in the principles of qualified monism." What does that even mean, exactly.

Thank you.
    Well gosh, couldn't you think of something controversial to discuss instead?

Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Hi

What you heard the is the only clear point of difference. Each side has several distinct groups within and philosophies vary among them.

Thank you.
    It is a common misconception to equate Shaivas with monism. While there may be monist Shaivas, it is not universal.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Vanakkam !

I feel this tread is gonna end so, so bad

I hope not, but there are many chances !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    What you heard the is the only clear point of difference. Each side has several distinct groups within and philosophies vary among them .
    And where would one lean about the differences between those sub-group viewpoints?

Thanks

And where would one lean about the differences between those sub-group viewpoints?

Thanks
    Your best best would be to learn about each tradition individually and then compare them.

Sorry, but no one is going to do your homework for you.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Vannakkam BR: In short, it's complicated. There are many schools within both, and some Saiva schools probably have more in common with some Vaisnava schools than they do with other Saiva schools.

Then there are the 'loose' liberal version guys who can basically switch back and forth depending on the day. Then there are Smartas, whose ishtas are either Vishnu or Siva, but many would categorise Smartas as neither Vaishnava nor Saiva, but Smarta.

To top it off, there is no set way of classifying. People will all disagree about that too.

Who calls you? Why is it important? Does it really matter? How do I feel inside a Saiva temple, and/or a Vaishnava temple? If you can answer these more personal questions, then you're on the right step. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_Hinduism

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

And where would one learn about the differences between those sub-group viewpoints?
    Let me offer the following for one's consideration.

The root differences within a certain school and outside of it is the view of Reality. If we look at Reality there is a view of vyāvahātika¹ - the ordinary, or manifest world of creation, and the unmanifest, some call the transcendent, Supreme, nirguṇa brahman , or pāramārthika¹.

Yet Reality = vyāvahātika + pāramārthika ( the manifest world of diversity + the transcendent). Reality is the amalgamation of both, and even dividing them in to 2 causes some separateness in the mind.
    Now it seems to me this is where all the schools and sects come in. It is how they view these two levels:
    • advaita - no seperateness or not two - unity
    • dvaita - seperateness or 2 - diversity
    • viśiṣṭādvaita - seperate yet - unity in diversity
    We can read of these views, these points of reference starting with the 6 schools (saḍ darśana) of Indian thought. The schools are generally divided as Orthodox and Unorthodox views: āstika or 'there is or exists' and nāstika or na+ astika 'it is not so' .

The 6 referred to are here ; this is where one can read and can compare and contrast views ( a most noble start begins here) :
    • śāṁkhya
    • yoga
    • vedānta
    • mīmāṃsā
    • nyāya
    • vaiśeṣika
    Yet these schools are viewing the same Reality, but arrive at a different conclusion of how this Reality ~looks~. The ~looks~ of śaivism or vaisṅavism or śākta (śāktism) may be different , yet the Reality is the same.

In ~general~ there are 6 schools of śaivism that I can count (also with multiple flavors and spinoffs that I cannot count in full)
    • kaśmīr śaivism is the one I gravitate to and am most comfortable with, yet there are 5 more:
    • śaiva siddhāna
    • paśupāta śaivism
    • vira śaivism some call liṅgāyat śaivism
    • śiva advaita also called śiva viśishṭāvaita
    • siddha siddhāna
    One may say where is smārta in this list? as it originates from ādi śaṅkara. Perhaps it is wise to view this as smārta sampradāya (tradition , handed down), yet it too recognizes śiva and viṣṇu (not to mention nārāyaṇa) of which I have the utmost respect.

I will leave the vaisṅavism schools to others that are better equipt then me to list out.

praṇām

words
    • vyāvahātika = vya+ ava+ hātika = to cover + away + hari ( harika is 'like hari') and hari here is viṣṇu, the supreme. ( my translation only)
    • pāramārthika - relating to a high or spiritual object or to supreme truth , real , essential , true
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 July 2012 at 08:49 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste

This post may be helpful:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...77&postcount=4

Namaste

I remember once I had this really long conversation with a Vaishnava in an airport while waiting for a plane.

This devotee of Ram was wonderful. He really was a living representative of a great scholar in every aspect of Sita-Ram. And, in Krishna as well.

He made the lag of time go by, it was wonderful. He spoke of great Vaishnava saints, he went into almost mystical explanations of Bhakti, and he loved Lakshmi Devi.

Before we parted ways, I thanked him for his time, and asked which specific Vaishnava practice he belonged to.

"I'm not a Vaishnava," he said. "I am a follower of Mahadeva" ...

He was a Shaivite.

Then a few weeks later I visited a South Indian temple. In other words, a Subramaniya Temple, Shaiva. My wife has a very nice conversation with a great devotee of Shiva in the lobby. They really have fun.

I was sort of shy to talk with the nice lady. I mostly listened, she was obviously a true Saiva who knew so many interesting things about Muruga even though she was from Gujarat.

So I ask her, which specific following of Shaiva does her family belong. She was confused, but then she said, "Oh, I am Krishna" ... now I was confused, until I realzed she was telling me she was Hare Krishna.

Hmmmm ....
    Om Tat Sat

Thread Information