Thread: Kriya Yoga Institute

Hybrid View

Kriya Yoga Institute

Greetings, I have a question for anyone who is familiar with Paramahamsa Hariharananda lineage. There will be a Kriya Yoga initiation in my town in a couple of weeks. Currently I attend meditation at SRF center but I do not want to wait 1 year to be initiated into Kriya, besides the fact that I have heard that SRF Kriya is different from the Kriya that Shiva Goraksha Babaji gave to Lahiri Mahasaya. I understand Yoganandaji needed to adapt things for a western audience but I want to learn the real deal.

My question is humbly this: I have 3 options, being in America.

1. Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath's Hamsa Yoga Sangh, which only has initiation on the west coast and would end up costing me about 1000 dollars in travel expenses and 125 dollar initiation fee. This was my first choice, but at this time 1000 dollars is a bit out of my budget.
    2. Wait a year and get initiated by SRF. Pros are cost but cons are waiting a year and having to agree to take Yoganandaji as my guru and NEVER take another guru according to what I understand. I do not like this as Yoganandaji is no longer in the body and I do not know if Shiva will send me another guru later.
    3. Get initiated by Parahamsa Prajnananda (Hariharananda's disciple). This seems to be the best choice but I am not very knowledgeable about him or his organization and I don't want to waste any time. Which option seems the best? If anyone can alleviate my ignorance I would be very greatful.

Re: Kriya Yoga Institute

Vannakkam: Initiation because you want it, and you pay money? That's a new one. Traditionally, the Guru decides when you are ready (which could be a very long time ... be prepared for 'not in this lifetime') and of course there is no charge. But hey, maybe that's just me. Maybe traditions have changed.

Aum Namasivaya

The general defense of the paying money situation is because we Westerners don't appreciate anything unless we pay a lot of money for it.

Of course, it's cheaper than moving to India and finding the free kind of guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath's Hamsa Yoga Sangh, which only has initiation on the west coast and would end up costing me about 1000 dollars in travel expenses and 125 dollar initiation fee. This was my first choice, but at this time 1000 dollars is a bit out of my budget.
    we can find some institutions that initiate anyone for free, one ashram that comes to mind is Ramakrishna vedanta center of america, there are many more out there you can find out by just calling around. By and laege a fee is not charged, this one doesnt sound right to me. If you are attending a course, and initiation is a part of the course then it is a different matter. I attended Arsha vidya Gurukulam course, salem , PA, a few years ago, and, yes I did pay the course fee at that time. I considered it a donation not a fee that time and gladly 'donated'. Namaste.

I don't think it is a course, it is like a 3 hour "empowerment" as they call it where Gurunath is supposed to awaken your Kundalini energy. The one I am attending in 2 weeks is a course, it is spread out for 20 hours over a weekend and requires a donation of 150 dollars, I should have clarified that. It seems more legitimate, you are asked to bring an oblation of fruits and flowers which is legitimate as far as I understand.

I really like Gurunath's books and YouTube videos, as far as I can tell without having gone to an event he is the real deal, but you are not the first to question the amount he charges. The "retreats" which I assume are several day courses cost several thousand dollars.

Thanks for replying and helping to clarify this for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    I don't think it is a course, it is like a 3 hour "empowerment" as they call it where Gurunath is supposed to awaken your Kundalini energy. The one I am attending in 2 weeks is a course, it is spread out for 20 hours over a weekend and requires a donation of 150 dollars, I should have clarified that. It seems more legitimate, you are asked to bring an oblation of fruits and flowers which is legitimate as far as I understand.
    There have been enuf guru bashing in this forum and I don't believe it is wrong, but for a change I would rather request you to read a bit more texts behind the buzz words like kundalini or empowerment, before you take the plunge- in any case there is not much to loose except a few hundred bucks.

I really like Gurunath's books and YouTube videos, as far as I can tell without having gone to an event he is the real deal
    Is it because he often has paintings of himself in form of shiva and christ hanging in the wall behind him?

I'm not taking any plunge as I'm not going to Gurunath, I am going to a class that doesn't claim to do anything fancy or mystical other than teach Kriya Yoga.

As far as I can tell (those being the keywords, I have yet to form a legitimate opinion) his message is consistent and others have said that he delivers what he claims, but as I myself have not had the experience I will not say he is true or fake, as I don't know. I never noticed pictures of him dressed like Jesus or Shiva, generally I listen to the videos while driving and I pay attention to the message more than trivial things like that.

Now, the question is do your have direct experiential knowledge of Gurunath to "Gurubash" him or is your animosity just an opinion?

Namaste,

My bro has done a course on Kriya Yoga of Paramhansa Hariharananda. He was initiated by Paramhansa Prajnanananda, though he is not practicing anymore, is caught up in worldly affairs. It's his problem.

But from his observation and my own, it is one of the best choice. I feel their influence when I open their photo or even website. Good spiritual vibrations. This is a subjective matter, so it's just my personal opinion.

Paramhansa Prajnanananda (प्रज्ञानन्द - Pragyanand - that's how they pronounce) also gives answers, in Q & A session. They also have lectures and meditation sessions, initiations in Mumbai.

People running the foundation are not money minded. The courses are offered at a very nominal fee, just enough to pay rent of hall and or lunch / break fast if offered. Sometimes, a regular practitioner sponsors lunch / breakfast.

I do not know about American operations, but Mumbai Operations work very well.

The quotes of Paramhansa Hariharananda are straight talk directing towards Self Realization. Paramhansa Prajnanananda follows his Guru's footsteps.

They do not do excessive publicity like others.

http://www.hariharanandakriyayoga.org/

http://www.prajnanamission.org/

http://www.kriya.org/

---

Regarding SRF, Paramhansa Yogananda had himself said that if I visit this foundation after 100 years, I would not recognize it. I will doubt that did I created this one.

They had even changed signature of Paramhansa Yogananda, as per an astrologer's suggestions for spreading it more and more.

They had even altered one if the photos, in which the side on which cross (Christian cross) was changed.

There was a legal battle with Swami Kriyananda of Ananda Sangha, which SRF lost.

this was all regarding the book, Autobiography of a Yogi.

http://www.anandaindia.org/inspiration/books/ay/

http://www.anandaindia.org/kriyananda/

http://www.ananda.org/

---

I do not know about Gurunath Siddhanath, so I cannot comment.

---

Aum
    Last edited by Amrut; 18 July 2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: edited some copy paste mistakes from my reply to an email :)
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information