Thread: Vastu Shastra: Work/Study->N,NE,E, but Computers-> SW. Why?

Question Vastu Shastra: Work/Study->N,NE,E, but Computers-> SW. Why?

Hi,
    I read that good direction for work or study are N, NE, E
    But Computers should be in SW.
    Can anyone explain how to work or study in computers?

Re: Vastu Shastra: Work/Study->N,NE,E, but Computers-> SW. Why?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

First one must ask
    • What is vāstu ?
    • Why is it in the jyotiṣh folder ?
    • Why is the Northeast direction conducive to study ( also worship) ?
    • Why the Southwest direction for computers ?
    What is vāstu ?
    It comes from this word vasu ( 2nd derivative) meaning dwelling;
    We also know vasu as a class of devatā-s whose number is usually eight , and whose chief is indra.
    So, vāstu as a dwelling is the the site or foundation of a house , ground , building or dwelling-place , habitation , homestead , house. Yet within this dwelling one too may find vāsu or another name of viṣṇu dwelling in all beings and within the home vāstu puruṣa hence vāstoṣpati , lord of the home.
    Hence we come to vāstu śāstra, the knowledge for proper construction and management of a dwelling. Some
    too call this sthāpatyaveda revealed by viśvakarman¹ .

The home is called veśman and some say this is defined as 'that which people enter'. Because we are dealing with 'home'
    this veśman is another name for the 4th astrological house, which deals with home.

Why is it in the jyotiṣh folder ?
    Jyotiṣh deals with time, space and direction ( 10 directions); Vāstu deals with the contruction
    within space ākāśa ( owned by guru or jupiter) and 10 directions.
    What are the 10 directions ? The cardnial 4 directions (N,S,E,W), the 4 half directions (NW, SW, NE, SE)
    and up and down. Yet too vāstu deals with the elements (tattva-s) of constuction ( wood, glass, concrete,
    dirt, metals, etc.) and these are owned and influenced by the graha-s.

Why is the Northeast direction conducive to study ( also worship) ?
    Vāstoṣpati (vāstu puruṣa) resides within a home with his head facing northeast, and feet facing southwest.
    His face and stomach face down. This body position within the home creates the vāstu puruṣa maṇḍala.
    each direction takes on a quality and an owner (devatā).

This northwest direction is the postion of vāstoṣpati's head , and it is said to be occupied by budha (mercury owning the north). What does budha represent ? Intelligence, awakening, learning, and the like. Hence this direction of northeast (some call īśānya) is a favorable direction. Yet we are told that the northeast is ruled by guru (jupiter) and therefore knowledge. The owner of this direction is īśvara.
    North is owned by mercury + east is owned by sun. Jupiter owns the northeast. So these 3 directions are quite uplifting.

Why the Southwest direction for computers ?
    This direction is owned by rāhu. Within vāstu thinking this direction is also kāma, hence a direction of rāhu+kāma. Yet we know rāhu has aligment with research, computers, telephones, electricity, speculation and the like , it seems unlikely to me that this direction is optimial for computer work that is focused on study and learning.

Even if it were ketu , ketu owns the northwest diection and within vāstu this direction is aligned with vāyu, a nice fit as I see it. Ketu is aligned with philosophy, mokṣa and the like.

Hence mental work and worship is directed to the northeast . More can be said about this at a later time.

praṇām

words

viśvakarman is the ' all-doer , all-creator , all-maker ' . The name of the the divine creative architect said to be son of brahmā. He is later known as tvaṣṭṛ and said to have revealed the sthāpatyaveda or fourth upa-veda.
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 July 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added some clarity on NE direction
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

vāstu puruṣa hence vāstoṣpati , lord of the home

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Question Re: Vastu Shastra: Work/Study->N,NE,E, but Computers-> SW. Why?

So the trick is to keep computers away form North-East (even North or East will do), but the person can still work or study facing the North, North-East or East.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Sarjil200 View Post
    So the trick is to keep computers away form North-East (even North or East will do), but the person can still work or study facing the North, North-East or East.
    I would say that is not the key take-away. The area of benefit is to keep one's study and worship in the northeast. To face northeast. If a computer is used for study, fine. Yet if you wish to put your computer in another location, that that your choice.

I myself face east , and or northeast for my studies and my practice. I sleep facing north ( owned by mercury). For me this is best.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 July 2012 at 05:44 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information