Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashwamedh problem

Exclamation Ashwamedh problem

I didnot know what ashwmedh is,so I wiki it.& here's what I got-----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashwamedha

After I got out of the initial shock,I saw griffith & company .So I relaxed out.obsene creations(no translations )of a perverted mind

Please all those who have some knowledge on this please enlighten me & help edit this wiki.
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Re: Ashwamedh problem

Quote Originally Posted by dhyandev View Post
    I didnot know what ashwmedh is,so I wiki it.& here's what I got-----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashwamedha

After I got out of the initial shock,I saw griffith & company .So I relaxed out.obsene creations(no translations )of a perverted mind

Please all those who have some knowledge on this please enlighten me & help edit this wiki.
    What is written in wikipedia is not exactly the same as the ashvamedha as I have seen it described elsewhere.

Prior to the sacrifice, the horse is allowed to roam free for one year. If any kingdom or army stopped it, this would result in war between the one who plans to do the sacrifice and the ones who stopped it. The idea is, if other kingdoms allow the horse to roam free, then they are acquiescing to the sacrificer's status as their overlord. I have read nothing about dogs being sacrificed.

In the Ramayana, prior to performing putra-kamesthi-yagna, Dasharatha does perform ashvamedha-yagna. It is mentioned there that Queen Kausalya had to spend the night with the horse prior to the sacrifice. However, nothing is mentioned about bestiality or even mock-copulation. Here is a point on which commentary is sorely needed, as the horse is clearly symbolic of something, perhaps many things.

The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, in its opening mantras, describes the symbolism of the sacrificial horse. I found it somewhat helpful but still not entirely useful for understanding some of the nuances of the yagna.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

I went to a sanskrit book fair.there i saw something on the various meanings of the word ashwa(enery or power i donot remember & i didnt pay any attension http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...6&postcount=94).
    But
    It is mentioned there that Queen Kausalya had to spend the night with the horse prior to the sacrifice.
    saying this is absolute crappy translation
    Last edited by dhyandev; 05 September 2012 at 02:13 AM.

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

I went to a sanskrit book fair.there i saw something on the various meanings of the word ashwa(enery or power i donot remember & i didnt pay any attension).
    But saying this is absolute crappy translation
    Pranams. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but given that you have not explained why the translation is "crappy," I will venture a guess that you don't know Sanskrit and are not actually qualified to comment on the accuracy of any translation.

This is how it is translated in the Gita Press translation, and its translator is clearly a devotee and an insider to the tradition. I also checked the online translation at www.valmikiramayan.net and found it there also:

patatriNaa tadaa saardham susthitena ca cetasaa |
    avasat rajaniim ekaam kausalyaa dharma kaamyayaa || 1-14-34

34. kausalyaa= Queen Kausalya; susthitena cha chetasaa= with composed - impassively; dharma kaamaayaa= dharma, desiring – for achieving results; patatriNaa saartham= with horse, for results; [where patatri = also means a bird, one that swiftly flew away like a bird; the sacrificed ritual horse is equated with the Divine Eagle – garuDa - that conducts the oblations; ekaam rajaniim avasat = one, night, she resided with that horse that flew away.

Queen Kausalya desiring the results of ritual disconcertedly resided one night with that horse that flew away like a bird. [1-14-34]
    There is nothing explicitly mentioned about bestiality, as some of the anti-Hindu bigots have a tendency to claim. What is obvious from the above shloka is that the horse and the act of spending one night with it is supposed to be symbolic of something. Note that there is nothing inherently difficult to believe about this. When we do puja, many actions that we do are symbolic of something and have to be meditated as such. For example, we offer water in a spoon before the deity, while in the mind we are supposed to meditate on actually washing the feet of the deity.

What is definitely needed here is commentary. Merely claiming that it never happened won't convince critics who can access these translations just as easily as I can.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

I will not comment on this subject, since the last time I did I was banned. But I will offer the relevant scanned pages from the Shukla Yajurveda that deal with this subject. I have scanned these pages and uploaded them on scribd.com. I request everyone not to engage me in discussion about this material. This is just to inform you. The text is in Sanskrit with the commentaries of Mahidhara and Uvata and there are Hindi translations of each mantra.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100685781/Img

Don't shoot the messenger.

_/\_ philsoraptor
    what i meant from crappy was the inherent meanings which the translators are capable of giving.it is sort of read b/w the lines concept

_/\_Sahasranama
    don't be scared we are in the same boat( i too got warning) .BTW who is the publisher if ur books.PM me ur scribd link

_/\_Sahasranama
    BTW who is the publisher if ur books.PM me ur scribd link
    The scribd link is in my previous post, is it not working?

Publisher is chaukhamba vidya bhavan.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger.
    The message givers/writers are gone, you are the only one left to shoot at.

Pranam.

That's too bad that we aren't allowed to talk about it. This is one thing I would think a Hinduism forum would be very useful for - to clarify the meaning of seemingly "strange" practices for the benefit of all.
    Philosoraptor

_/\_ philsoraptor
    what i meant from crappy was the inherent meanings which the translators are capable of giving.it is sort of read b/w the lines concept
    Dhyandev,

The Gita Press translator is very respectful of the source material. If I have any one criticism here, it is only that he did not offer any footnotes/commentary on this particular shloka as he usually does for other shlokas with unusual meanings. It would have been helpful in this case. But its absence does not imply anything vulgar, nor did the translation as given imply anything untoward.
    Philosoraptor

Thread Information