Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Ashwamedh problem

Re: Ashwamedh problem

Hi,an update on the issue of meat eating in vedic times-The mahabharata says kshatryas are allowed to hunt (Mahabharata 13.115.59–60; 13.116.15–18.)

I don't know if this is an interpolation.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Hi,an update on the issue of meat eating in vedic times-The mahabharata says kshatryas are allowed to hunt (Mahabharata 13.115.59–60; 13.116.15–18.)

Doubtful. That POV seems to be supported by other references that I have seen in the Raamaayana. Then again, Raama also says something to the effect of not really enjoying hunting - the sense I got from the verses is that hunting is acceptable, presumably to hone one's military skills and also to make forests safer (at least when it comes to hunting dangerous animals), but that one should not take pleasure in it.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post

This is what Bhagvatam says in this regards;

tiirtheShu pratidriiShTeShu raajaa medhyaan pashuun vane
    yaavadarthamala.m lubdho hanyaad iti imamate - Bhagavata Purana 4.26.6

"If a king is too attracted to eating flesh, he may, according to the directions of the revealed scriptures on sacrificial performances, go to the forest and kill some animals that are recommended for killing. One is not allowed to kill animals unnecessarily or without restrictions. The Vedas regulate animal-killing to stop the extravagance of foolish men influenced by the modes of passion and ignorance."

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Doubtful. That POV seems to be supported by other references that I have seen in the Raamaayana. Then again, Raama also says something to the effect of not really enjoying hunting - the sense I got from the verses is that hunting is acceptable, presumably to hone one's military skills and also to make forests safer (at least when it comes to hunting dangerous animals), but that one should not take pleasure in it.

Good one dude,long time no see!
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

I have been reading the Satapatha Brahmana recently, and came across this very interesting verse, which i think proves conclusively that the purushamedha is not a literal human sacrifice. It is also related to some of the discussions being held in other threads about lord Shiva and lord vishnu in the vedas.

Satapatha Brahmana 13.6.1.1
    1. Purusha Nârâyana desired, 'Would that I overpassed all beings! would that I alone were everything here (this universe)!' He beheld this five-days’ sacrificial performance, the Purushamedha, and took it , and performed offering therewith; and having performed offering therewith, he overpassed all beings, and became everything here. And, verily, he who, knowing this, performs the Purushamedha, or who even knows this, overpasses all beings, and becomes everything here.

In relation to discussions in other threads, it is particularly interesting that Narayana witnessed the original Purushamedha and replicated it(Narayana is considered to be the seer of purusha-sukta) and that infinitude and all-pervasiveness are qualities that Narayana attained at a certain point in time.
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Interesting. Can you give me the publication info on the Shatapatha Brahmana you are using? I think that recension is the different from the one I have, and I would like to get it.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Interesting. Can you give me the publication info on the Shatapatha Brahmana you are using? I think that recension is the different from the one I have, and I would like to get it.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Post Re: Ashwamedh problem

Hi . Akhand Jyoti magazine carries the thoughts and writings of Acharya Shriram Sharma. Shriram Sharma Acharya established the Gayatri Parivaar and wrote over 3000 books in his life.

There is an article that details out the practice of Ashwamedha Yagna in Akhand Jyoti magazine.A link to that article is enclosed here as is an excerpt from our Facebook page:

"WHAT was the ASHVAMEDHA YAGNA? You'll be surprised to know its NOTHING to do with the myth of HORSE SACRIFICE!

ASHVA stands for a Horse, and a Horse signifies = VITALITY
    MEDHA stands for INTELLIGENCE.
    Therefore ASHVAMEDHA term stands for generating VITALITY+ INTELLIGENCE in large populations, through the process of participating and organising large scale YAGNA's where large number of people participated.

MARKETING the YAGNA : Utilised the services of a HORSE. A banner describing, the location, place , time and other relevant details of the Yagna , was placed on the HORSE's BACK and the horse was allowed to ROAM through the streets of a Kingdom as a moving advertisement of the YAGNA.
    In the absence of the TV, internet, newspapers, a moving horse was used to advertise the YAGNA and to INVITE all to attend and contribute."

To read more on the topic of Ashvamedha Yagna's and the science behind them , read Akhand Jyoti , July- Aug 2005, issue online. Click the link below:

http://www.akhandjyoti.org/?Akhand-J...hAlsoScience.3

Regards
    Last edited by satay; 06 February 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Evidence is always more valuable than merely opinions.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

Thread Information