Thread: Best way for native English speaker to learn Sanskrit?

Best way for native English speaker to learn Sanskrit?

Namaste.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I could not find a thread with explanation through search function.

I would like to learn Sanskrit as part of my sadhana. I feel it is important to be able to read the scriptures and capture their original meaning rather than rely on someone's translation, which may or may not be correct.

However, I have seen it mentioned often in posts that Sanskrit does not translate into English very well. What can be done? Would it be possible to learn from a book or a website or would it be best to hire a teacher who has mastered the language and can guide me on right path?

I have prayed to Mahadeva for a solution but so far I only get the feeling I should learn Sanskrit but not which way would be the best to learn.

Is anyone here that is a native-English speaker that has learned Sanskrit? How did you accomplish it, if so? I realize it will probably be very difficult but a challenge has never stopped me before.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Re: Best way for native English speaker to learn Sanskrit?

Namaste,

I applaud you for your desire to learn Sanskrit, and hopefully someone will come along to point the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    I feel it is important to be able to read the scriptures and capture their original meaning rather than rely on someone's translation, which may or may not be correct.
    However, please be aware that the core verses of the scriptures contain deep, deep philosophical and spiritual knowledge. Being able to do a literal translation is a far cry from the ability to decipher and understand them, and to grasp their true meaning. One has to have spiritually advanced to a level where one can be at the same wavelength as the writer and comprehend the true meaning of the text. That is why we need to rely on the acharyas to translate them for us. I would not even attempt to validate everything myself. But that is not to say that you should not learn Sanskrit. It definitely has its up side. Once a person climbs the spiritual ladder and is able to see the vistas, he may be able to 'get it' from the original verses. But it is not an exercise for the novices that we are. I would rather rely on 'others' to translate them for me, and to try to live the code of conduct defined there, than to spend my life being able to translate them for myself.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 21 July 2012 at 09:08 AM.

I'm currently a native English speaker and I'm learning Sanskrit. The way I'm learning is by an independent study with a professor. The textbook we're using is http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-S.../dp/8120811402. So I would suggest this book. Like learning any other language you have to keep on learning even outside of class.

Have you seen this thread, Vasa?

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...4329#post84329

I'm also a native english speaker and trying to learn sanskrit. The resources compared to other modern languages like spanish and french are comparitively bleak.

Arrow Re: Best way for native English speaker to learn Sanskrit?

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I applaud you for your desire to learn Sanskrit, and hopefully someone will come along to point the way.

However, please be aware that the core verses of the scriptures contain deep, deep philosophical and spiritual knowledge. Being able to do a literal translation is a far cry from the ability to decipher and understand them, and to grasp their true meaning. One has to have spiritually advanced to a level where one can be at the same wavelength as the writer and comprehend the true meaning of the text. That is why we need to rely on the acharyas to translate them for us. I would not even attempt to validate everything myself. But that is not to say that you should not learn Sanskrit. It definitely has its up side. Once a person climbs the spiritual ladder and is able to see the vistas, he may be able to 'get it' from the original verses. But it is not an exercise for the novices that we are. I would rather rely on 'others' to translate them for me, and to try to live the code of conduct defined there, than to spend my life being able to translate them for myself.

Pranam.
    Namaste.

I understand, I did not mean to say that I can translate better than acharya or guru, and I understand that true understanding is dependent on these dear souls and my worthiness to obtain their grace, which hopefully will be in this lifetime but I am prepared to wait as long as it takes. What I meant is that most English translations were done by western indolOgiats with a clear agenda to misrepresent the text and knowledge, and I would rather be able to read it myself than rely on these translations. If there are English translations available by respected acharyas I would be happy to defer to their knowledge until I find my true guru. However, with the vast amount of literature I am sure there are some scriptures that do not have satisfactory English translations. Perhaps and hopefully I am wrong on that.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Namaste Icy and Rainbow.

I have not read the thread Icy, but I will read it later today. Thanks for the link!

Rainbow, I will check out that textbook and see about taking a course at the local college. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Thread Information