Thread: My 3 year old and his wonderful pronunciation

Talking My 3 year old and his wonderful pronunciation

Namaste, this is kinda corny but it may give you a laugh.

I was listening to Krishna Das while doing some dishes, and suddenly my son ran in and sings "om mosha shimbaya" and starts dancing. He's still singing along but every time it's different. Some of his little gems:

Banasha mulaka bejeeka
    Hasha mokaka minana
    Marsha bulaka bijaka

I finally got him to say it correctly, and then he went right back to his own version.

The song has a video with it, he came over and looked at it and said "Daddy, who's the blue man? I like him. Where does the blue man live?"

My son is a trip.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Re: My 3 year old and his wonderful pronunciation

Cute. "om mosha shimbaya" I am sure "Shimba" listens to him.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Vannakkam Vasa,

I finally got him to say it correctly, and then he went right back to his own version.

The song has a video with it, he came over and looked at it and said "Daddy, who's the blue man? I like him. Where does the blue man live?"

My son is a trip.
    Haha... That's rather cute! Such curious little minds.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

Children are the delight. This is an optimal age for him to begin learning another language fluently (that is, with no trace of his mother-tongue accent when speaking the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. language(s)), even if it is only for later on chanting parts of scripture.

Recordings don't do justice to pronunciations, but if he hears you pronounce it as best you can, he will pick it up. It will be even better coming from someone fluent in the language, be it Sanskrit, Hindi or Mandarin. Encourage this before his teen years, when the human brain is a plastic and receptive to multi-lingualism as it will ever be. After the teen years pass, fluency becomes harder to achieve, unless he also develops a musical ability. The ability to perceive subtle sounds and tones in music goes hand-in-hand with langauge learning.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Haha, thats rather cute. Kids are so wonderful. He sounds like a bundle of joy.

Also I can vouch for what Jai said because when I was a child my parents spoke in Hindi and Punjabi to me aswell as english to implement it in my mind as I would learn english in school anyway, I naturally became fluent in it. (Can't read it though) but hey I learnt 2 languages without any effort! If you

Talking Re: My 3 year old and his wonderful pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste.

Children are the delight. This is an optimal age for him to begin learning another language fluently (that is, with no trace of his mother-tongue accent when speaking the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. language(s)), even if it is only for later on chanting parts of scripture.

Recordings don't do justice to pronunciations, but if he hears you pronounce it as best you can, he will pick it up. It will be even better coming from someone fluent in the language, be it Sanskrit, Hindi or Mandarin. Encourage this before his teen years, when the human brain is a plastic and receptive to multi-lingualism as it will ever be. After the teen years pass, fluency becomes harder to achieve, unless he also develops a musical ability. The ability to perceive subtle sounds and tones in music goes hand-in-hand with langauge learning.
    Namaste.

I am a vocal instructor and classical pianist by night, so as soon as I saw him display musical ability (he can sing a little and likes to play a keyboard I bought for him) I've been taking steps to cultivate that in him without trying to push it onto him like I've seen many parents mistakenly do. That is very interesting information, I will definitely see if I can make use of that!
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    Namaste.

I am a vocal instructor and classical pianist by night, so as soon as I saw him display musical ability (he can sing a little and likes to play a keyboard I bought for him) I've been taking steps to cultivate that in him without trying to push it onto him like I've seen many parents mistakenly do. That is very interesting information, I will definitely see if I can make use of that!
    Excellent! Yes, encourage but don't push.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namast,

Regarding language learning, Jai is right; if you check out "critical period hypothesis" on Wikipedia, you'll find some of the various researches and theories proposed on childhood language acquisition. In my linguistics coursework, we were taught that age 12 was the "critical age," past which learning languages required study instead of happening naturally.

What a lovely story, Vasa, and I bet you'll remember it for a very long time! My family still calls me "Linny" because my toddler cousins (who are now 18 and attending university) couldn't pronounce "Lindsay" at first.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

How very cute! You should post a video tape of him singing.

Thread Information