Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a Mandir

Re: Creating a Mandir

Your plans of a Mandir/Kovil is in my prayers! I my self hope to connect to enough Hindus locally to create a local community and at last a local shrine. Sadly, most of the local Hindus are international students, who only live here for one or two years. I'm anyhow trying to organize a small festival during Ganesh Utsav this month. That will be fun!

-^- Åm -^-

Vannakkam Vinayaka: Temples start from small shrines. Is there a meditation hall, or chapel at the university? Maybe you could approach the authorities and use it for some sort of group worship once a week, like Friday nights. I'm sure International Hindu students would really appreciate that, even if its just a few bhajans, and some small aarti to a picture. Then some connection, albeit small to the roots can remain.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Vinayaka: Temples start from small shrines. Is there a meditation hall, or chapel at the university? Maybe you could approach the authorities and use it for some sort of group worship once a week, like Friday nights. I'm sure International Hindu students would really appreciate that, even if its just a few bhajans, and some small aarti to a picture. Then some connection, albeit small to the roots can remain.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste,

I like this idea a lot! You've all inspired me to try and do something like this at my college
    "We live in a strange world. We should rejoice at the differences, yet people find fault with it. This is His Joy to create multiplicity." - Yajvan

Namaste cmorel02

You show the spirit which I haven't seen in a long time. It is almost as if you are taking us all back to the late 1960s and early 1970s. God give you the power, the money, the heart, to try this. No matter what comes of it, you will be given a smile directly from Lord Shiva. I pray the Gandarvas and the Ganas do some work behind the scenes for you to help. May the Apsaras influence the minds and hearts of those who would turn a stone, just when you need it, to help it be so. This is exactly how things had, have and can come true. Because someone tried. You also show courage and Bhakti. I live far from you, but if I were a neighbor I would try to help with my hands. A temple builder is one who earns the title Best Among Friends and Community. The true cornerstone is you.

No matter what comes to pass, you will always remember your moment in time when you made an effort. Ganesha has His army, I pray He gives you many hands, many arms, many faces, many friends, many smiles, many coins, many umbrellas from the Spokane rain

Come and tell us two years time. No matter what, you will find others who can become true friends in the process, Goddess will give you many blessings. A temple builder. What a great thing that is to be.

Om Namah Sivaya

Here's the simple mandir I built out of clay for displaying Lord Murugan during Navaratri Kolu. Though small, it took about 10 hrs to make it and I made it with such love for Muruga.

(I really wish there are mandirs of varying kinds, Medha Dakshinamoorthy teaching his 4 pupils, Ramayana series and various scenes from puranas all available as doll format for navaratri kolu - it is not possible to make them all ).
    Last edited by Viraja; 02 January 2013 at 10:54 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vanakkam,

This is very beautiful Aspirant !

I have a question tho, did you left the clay to dry in the air or did you bake it in the oven ?

I would like to do like this for Navratri but I am afraid it won't last the nights D:

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

McKitty,

I just let it air dry. Ofcourse, it broke sometime after Navaratri. What I had exactly done was to make this mandir and stick it to a thick cardboard board. Inspite of it, the mandir came off separately after sometime and then it broke.

But I really am not that concerned about it because it lasted for the navaratri (as I was not touching it) and it gave me immense spiritual satisfaction everytime I prayed before it - like visiting a mandir at home!

Vanakkam,

Oh, the problem for me is not that it break or not...I was wondering what you should do with the remain D:

Does they have to be treated like a Murti, and should not be disposed in trash or thrown away ?

I should try to put much water on the remains, maybe they will stick again to make something else, even with the paint...

I should try it ! Thank you very much for inspiring me to make a mandir ! I can't wait for october, I'll do maasa-Shivratri and Navratri, this will be a big big month

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Vanakkam,

Oh, the problem for me is not that it break or not...I was wondering what you should do with the remain D:

Does they have to be treated like a Murti, and should not be disposed in trash or thrown away ?

Aum Namah Shivaya
    No, no need to dispose it away. You can store the mandir with proper care and god willing, it won't break away and then you can reuse this homemade (self-made) treasure for subsequent navaratris or even for your shrine! Atleast that was what I hoped for - but without any processing like baking it or whatever, the mandir wouldn't stay! But it will be a great little project - I too did it 1hr each day for 10 days!

Good luck with your project!

Namaste,

I'm curious as to things are progressing, cmorel02. I'm in the Spokane area as well, and recently I've been lamenting how far away the temples are from here. It's startling to see someone mention Spokane on here, especially relating to my current dilemma. I really shouldn't be so surprised at this point.

Thread Information