Thread: Devanagari script

Devanagari script-help

Okay I thought I would post this here since I think this is one of the many things that makes India great.

I bought a little book on Hindi script-very simple. I wanted to practice by hand but also start memorizing the letters by using the computer.

How are you typing Hindi script here? I would like to be able to do that to practice. Thanks!
    Last edited by MysticalGypsi; 26 January 2007 at 01:57 PM.
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

Re: Devanagari script-help

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    How are you typing Hindi script here? I would like to be able to do that to practice. Thanks!
    MG - Sarabhanga-ji said something about this in one of his threads (see msg 8 & 9). I'm not sure myself how to do this. I can read what others have written, but I can't write with that font.

A.

Re: Devanagari script

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    I do not see this in the message editor? I wonder if he has the script font downloaded on his computer? I found a website that will let you download hindi/sanskrit script but I am not sure how it works, what to do with it after it is downloaded?
    The font that Sarabhanga uses is called Mangal, I think (or at least that's what my computer tells me). I even tried to download that font, but I can't use it as a font to write with, either here or in MS word. I have a different devanagari font already in my computer, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to see. Let's try it. Can you see Devanagari below? (my guess is no).

n;m;st;e

Re: Devanagari script

Nope can't see it!

Keep trying to figure it out, though!!
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

Cool Re: Devanagari script

Namaste,

If you are using a Windows system, the easiest way to post in Devanagari is to use Itranslator.

For example:

INPUT:
    agnimiiLe purohitaM yaj~nasya devamR^itvijam |
    hotaaraM ratnadhaatamam ||

OUTPUT:
    अग्निमीळे पुरोहितं यज्ञस्य देवमृत्विजम् ।
    होतारं रत्नधातमम् ॥

agnimīḻe purohitaṁ yajñasya devamṛtvijam |
    hotāraṁ ratnadhātamam ||

Then simply cut and paste into the HDF editor.

Thread Information